What's the verdict on Fram air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Malibu:
Who makes a filter is not important. What IS important
is that Asian car companies require their suppliers, including American suppliers,
to build parts to their special specifications. These special, exacting
specs. are part of the reason Asian car engines are twice as durable as
any American make.

That's a good one!
lol.gif
Tell it to the Hyundai owners whose engines crap out on them at 50K and the Mitsubishi owners who are in a class action against the company for knowingly using sub-standard parts in their engines.

I looked at some Fram air filters today.
Made in Canada.
How can Fram make them in Canada and compete with korea and china?

the canada made ones looked well made, lots of area , and a substantial body holding the media. media had many more pleats than a purolater made in china

I am glad other people realize that the FRAM air filter is really know different from other air filters. The air filter is such a simple design, how can you mess that up?

I always use FRAM air filters. It does not bother me in the least that some orange rubber overlaps some wire mesh. To me, that means it will hold better with less chance of it tearing off, lol.

I feel the paper air filters are pretty much the same. And now that the results are in, and FRAM air filters filter dirt very well, i am sure i will be sticking with them.

Pleat count is a waste of time in my opinion.

No one here feels like that is over analysing?

You can see physical differences within 1 brand of air filter, so what does it proove?

More pleats cannot possibly mean more filtration, as air flow is not from one end of a air filter to another, its from top to bottom.

Arguments such as one brand having a better looking foam seal than the other, or one brand having wire mesh prooves nothing. Air filters differences are in no way crucial. Is anyone going to tell me that a FRAM air filter vs. a NAPA gold is going to show UOA test results of an improvment?? its not possible with a variable environment, and even IF there was a small difference it would be so marginal that it wouldnt even be worth looking into.

I say again, all paper air filters are generally the same.

(this doesnt mean in shape or form as i know they come in different colors and various pleat counts, foams and rubbers. I feel this information is not important in anyway.)

Number of pleats and pleat depth determines the total amount of dirt the filter can hold. This is important to me because this determines when the filter becomes more of a restriction and how long it can be left in. Yes it can mean more flow too because the media is the restriction here. More media means a bigger area for air to pass through. Filter overall size doesn't have as big of an effect because it's not the major restriction the media is.

Seal pliability and the consistency of the seal thickness is very important because it leads to a better seal, allowing the filter to work. Without a perfect seal your filter is almost useless.

I think it can show up in a UOA. Air filter problems are often found by high silicone levels. This could be the result of a bad seal(see above). Many people credit K&N filters as the reason for their high silicone levels. I think other filters can show a difference too, there just aren't a lot of UOA with controlled enough variables to tell for certain.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by RedWolf4000:
I am glad other people realize that the FRAM air filter is really know different from other air filters. The air filter is such a simple design, how can you mess that up?

I always use FRAM air filters. It does not bother me in the least that some orange rubber overlaps some wire mesh. To me, that means it will hold better with less chance of it tearing off, lol.

I feel the paper air filters are pretty much the same. And now that the results are in, and FRAM air filters filter dirt very well, i am sure i will be sticking with them.

What Verdict have you discovered that says all air filters are the same? According to the SAE tests done on the Duramax filter, they are definitely different. Several people in this thread have posted reasons why a particular brand is better. Sometimes Fram uses a paper filter on application which normally do not. I've noticed a big quality difference between many Fram filters and other brands, especially pleat count.

Sorry, they don't get off as all being the same. For my money I'll take another brand.

-T

filters in my car's size
fram canada - 80 pleats 6.88
purolater china 52 pleats $7
proline 52 pleats korea made in 8/03 $5
stp korea made 65 pleats $6
wix have not looked at USA 411.50

AC ? where are AC air filters made

[ August 04, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

quote:

3. Polyurethane Resin Frame: On a genuine Toyota air filter, a rigid,
molded polyurethane resin frame helps maintain a tight seal with the
air box. This design not only seals out dirt, but also reduces noise
that could otherwise be transmitted to the interior.

Hmm... my Lexus one is a plastic frame, but it does say TOYOTA DENSO USA, i wonder what could be
dunno.gif

i haven't had any problems with fram air filters (made in korea) on my honda's. in fact, they look rather similar and i know for a fact that napa gold filters are the exact same, except that the wal-mart fram air filters are MUCH cheaper.

quote:

Honda, Toyota and Nissan engines won't last twice as long as American cars unless you maintain them they way they originally came from the factory; i.e with OEM tune up parts using OEM tune up specs, OEM filters, OEM antifreeze. Then they will deliver 400-650,000 overhaul free miles, even on dino juice.

I have searched the internet long and hard for any monster mileage (400,000+ without an overhaul) american car engine stories and failed to find any involving cars less than 20 years old. The best maintained American cars will go 250,000, but then they typically have severe problems (such as loss of compression or oil burning) or sudden engine failure sometime between 250-350,000, whereas a Japanese engine can still have like new compression and no oil consumption problems at 400,000 (if maintained on OEM stuff).

A few European makes are just about as good as the Japanese too. Mobil oil, for example, choose a BMW for its 1,000,000 mile test of Mobil 1 oil. Imagine what would have happened if Mobil had used a Ford Taurus or Chevy Lumina for that test!

offtopic.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

OEM doesnt always mean the BEST,regardless of WHAT car maker they are made for.

Some of Hondas oil filters are made by Fram,we ALL know that there are MUCH better oil filters than Fram out there.

American made auto's can go many miles when taken proper care of,and this DOESNT mean using 'only OEM' parts etc.

The REAL way to make ANY car last a long time is proper upkeep.This means changing the oil and filter when needed,not when you think it is 'time' to do so.

G-Man II is right,American made autos can go many many miles with proper care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back