What's the deal with Unleaded 88?

I'm pretty sure E15 would be fine in anything approved for E10, since when those cars were built E15 wasn't even available anywhere. Checked with the dealer on my 12 Camry that states E10, and they said you could run it in the older ones fine.

I'm pretty sure E15 would be fine in anything approved for E10, since when those cars were built E15 wasn't even available anywhere. Checked with the dealer on my 12 Camry that states E10, and they said you could run it in the older ones fine.
Would you use it in a Mazda when the owner's manual says not to do so?

Would you use it in a Mazda when the owner's manual says not to do so?
Stay the course and avoid it. Many of the Japanese car companies are fighting the E15 they want to pass. I looked into E85 fuel "swill" and can imagine that if you are running it in a gdi engine the oil could be contaminated much sooner requiring more frequent oil changes. TDI doesn't have the issue as diesel is no nearly as aggressive.
Motor oil went through many changes to meet demands up to what is now I believe GF-6. I can almost guarantee that if the ethanol content was never more than 10% that these oils would be able to provide more benefits. Just look at the size of the hoses on E15 and E85 vs E-10 or Non and you can just see the difference is massive.

Attachments

• think-thin-gf-6-is-the-latest-spec-in-the-world-of-engine-oil-2019-08-08_17-36-28_283718-31480...jpg
    think-thin-gf-6-is-the-latest-spec-in-the-world-of-engine-oil-2019-08-08_17-36-28_283718-31480...jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 12
In Brazil running e96 hydrous they just included a little tank for ether or gasoline.

The cars actually started easier than on pure gas with ether injection
One of my first jobs was a 3rd shift truck garage. I had to start the diesels up in the winter with a ether pill about the size of a grape. Really made those Detroit Diesels rattle for awhile.

Yeah, there are none.

There's a certain level the EPA requires.

First, we start with gasoline produced by major refiners. Then we add detergent cleaning additives that contain ingredients that help prevent and remove deposits on carburetors, intake valves, fuel injectors and other engine parts. In the end, our gasoline is formulated to meet or exceed the most stringent EPA requirements. Our gasoline not only keeps your engine clean and operating at peak performance but also helps to reduce emissions. We can all take a deep breath.

E85 is actually 51-83% alcohol. (lower in the winter)

E15 aka "super 88" is upto 15% usually no where near 15%-- typically made with a blender pump mixing the e85 with 87 octane RUG(regular unleaded gas)-- which is usually upto 10% alcohol.

e10 is alcohol % is whatever was delivered as RUG.

Ethanol free is also delivered and held in a separate storage tank.

So if your e10 is lower -- and it usually is.. your e15 wont be close to e15.. esp. in winter when the flex fuel is closer to 50% alcohol than in the summer when its 80% Alcohol.

Using a tester the highest I've ever seen was 12% alcohol in e88 usually its about 10% esp in the winter.

RUG from a few stations is usually 6%-7%

I wouldnt use super 88 in OPE but any modern car should have 0 issues with it.

The savings last week was 70cents currently about $1 cheaper. typically it runs around 3 to 35cents cheaper.

What objective evidence do you have that Sheetz gas "sucks"? I'm curious.
None hence why it's just conjecture. That's like saying all I use is Top Tier fuel which could just be a sticker on the pump and nothing else. Unless you are pulling samples from the pump and doing your own testing then great show us the results otherwise...

What objective evidence do you have that Sheetz gas "sucks"? I'm curious.

The typical anecdote from mechanics around here is if there was a car that came in running poorly they typically got gas at Sheetz. I usually don't get their gas and stick with a different station. I have however gotten the E15 several times and got some ethanol free for the mowers. Although the station a block down sells ethanol free so there's no need for me to get anymore fuel at Sheetz.

I used to run Sheetz in everything and never ran into an issue. I just switched places due to them remodeling the pump area and it's much more convenient.

I have however gotten the E15 several times and got some ethanol free for the mowers

The gas station closest to my house is a Sheetz, therefore my riding mower gets Sheetz gas. It's E10, they can't sell ethanol free here due to EPA regulations.

Never had a problem with it going on 7 years now, and I leave the gas in it all winter. I do occasionally add some Techron or TC-W3 to it though.

Sounds like low proof E85. I would only use in a FlexFuel vehicle.
The same could be said for E10? I have used it in my 2006 Focus and it runs the same or better than E10 87 octane. I don't notice a mileage difference either. It's only a max of 5% more ethanol.

I’ve used E15 88 octane pretty much exclusively for 170,000 miles on my 14 Durango. No noticeable difference in mpg from E10 87 octane. E85 drops mileage about 4 mpg. 91 octane no ethanol raised mpg slightly, (I dont recall the exact number) but it wasn’t enough to justify the $.70-$1.00 increased cost per gallon. No problems with the E15 fuel.

Ive used E15 88 octane for most of the 86,000 miles in my 18 F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. My results with that are pretty much identical as the Durango, except for the E85. It’s never had E85.

I do use premium 91 no ethanol or 93 E10 in my 18 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with 2.0T. The mpg changes so much with that brick of a vehicle depending on speed and wind, and I lifted it and installed 35” tires, that its fuel mileage is what it is. I can get 21 mpg in town, and Ive seen as low as 11mpg on the interstate, over the course of a full tank.
I did hear some pinging a couple times in some hot weather. Since it’s a play/road trip vehicle and is stored in winters, I just decided 91 octane or higher was what I am going to use.

I’m not a tree hugger, and I’m not an ethanol fanboy, but its cheaper and provides extremely close mpg and drive ability, so for me, why not use it?

I used Sheetz E15 88 octane on my 2020 Equinox 1.5t on a trip from NY to NC thru PA. All highway mileage, it was the best mpg for the trip, and the car seem quieter. The worse gas was pilot. If E15 was in my area I’d use it again. GM engines cannot exceed 15% ethanol.

Back