What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also if the compressor is locked up, when the clutch is energized it can break the serpentine belt OR it can slip, which will quickly damage the clutch due to the high temperatures the friction will create. At a minimum I would expect smoke, a bad smell, and melted plastic or discolored metal.

Either way, there is plenty of evidence of a problem.

Last edited:
Last summer I bit the bullet and bought a new compressor and other parts for my beater Accent. My original problem was a burnt up clutch coil.

Total cost was $280 for the compressor kit which had o rings, expansion valve, desiccant sock, compressor oil and the compressor. Got the Harbor Freight AC gauge set($50) and a vacuum pump off Amazon ($55). Three cans of R134a from Walmart at $4 each and two cans of AC flush from AutoZone for $10. ~$400 and a couple days of work. I also had to get a new desiccant filter sealing cap as the OE was plastic and got torn up taking it out. New OE came with a filter screen too for the cap.

Most said it wasn't worth the effort for the Hyundai Accent but I plan on driving it for a few years yet so well worth the money. And the learning lessons in AC repair.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Chris142
$2k sounds about what I would charge to do a major AC job on a van. And especially if they must remove the interior to access the rear unit. Very labor intensive job.

If you have a good van with no other issues you cant replace the van for that amount. Think of it as only 4 payments on a new van.

This is true except with 200k miles, another expensive repair might be right around the corner.

Says the man with 2 vehicles over 200k.
28.gif

Oh wait, they're Toyotas.
01.gif
Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back