What wire can I tap into, for signal '94 Lexus gs300

What I want to do is tap into the dist signal wire to get a signal, so that I can connect an MSD 6A box. I have read that the stock Toyota ignitor needs some voltage from the ecu ,so that it can produce a signal. Is it possible to just tap into dist wiring and skip the stock setup? Here are some pics, maybe that'll help. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230830_135600.jpg
    20230830_135600.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230829_213258.jpg
    20230829_213258.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230829_213307.jpg
    20230829_213307.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 9
You dont exactly have a distributor signal on a Toyota ignition system of that vintage. The igniter receives the IGT signal from the engine control module which is the command to the ignition module to dwell the ignition coil. When the coil is dwelling and drawing current the ignition module then creates an IGF signal to send back to the engine control module. Without an IGF signal the engine control module will stop firing injectors. There are 3 speed sensors inside the distributor, G1, G2 and Ne that provide RPM and engine position information to the engine control module that it uses to compute ignition timing and fuel injection timing and duration.

You dont exactly have a distributor signal on a Toyota ignition system of that vintage. The igniter receives the IGT signal from the engine control module which is the command to the ignition module to dwell the ignition coil. When the coil is dwelling and drawing current the ignition module then creates an IGF signal to send back to the engine control module. Without an IGF signal the engine control module will stop firing injectors. There are 3 speed sensors inside the distributor, G1, G2 and Ne that provide RPM and engine position information to the engine control module that it uses to compute ignition timing and fuel injection timing and duration.
Oh OK. Thanks. So the only place to get a signal would be from the NEG side of the coil? Also, I checked both wires that go to the coil and they both have voltage One side had like 12.3 or so, and the other had like 11.25. Is that normal?

Oh OK. Thanks. So the only place to get a signal would be from the NEG side of the coil? Also, I checked both wires that go to the coil and they both have voltage One side had like 12.3 or so, and the other had like 11.25. Is that normal?
With the engine not running yes. Black with red wire at terminal 2 of the coil is pulled to ground by the igniter to dwell the coil. When the igniter releases the ground the coil fires.

So if i want to get a trigger signal for the MSD to be used with the engine, I just gotta get the signal from the NEG side of the coil?

Back