What was your first cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have been the 80's. I had a phone that had to be installed in the trunk with the handset mounted on the console. Had the pigtail antenna in the middle of the back window. It cost $3k and my monthly payments were lease to own. I think I had Cingular in the Wash. DC area. You paid by the minute and it was expensive. It was analogue and when you had a good signal, people could not tell you were on a cell phone. Back then mostly Drs. had them and the pigtail on your car was unique. I paid it off and had it installed it in several cars. It was a business write off for me.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Kyocera 2325 on a prepaid Verizon plan. $10 a month and only 250 texts a month.

Phone lasted me I think 3 or 4 years. Then there was a connection that went bad from the phone being on vibrate and the display stopped working.

Edit: it's 2017 and I still only have 250 texts a month. Don't even come close!

Get a Google Voice number, free texts and minimal data usage.

A Samsung Rant. I loved the pull-out analog keyboard. I really hate touch screens. I like to feel and hear the "click" of an analog button.

Don't remember the phone but I remember it was with Cingular, and with a discount through my employer. Per-minute charge starting with the first minute, but the phone was for emergency use only so I could live with that.

Funny part was that I was supposed to get a credit to make that phone free, but the credit never showed and when I called to follow-up on it the rep saw that there was an offer, but couldn't apply it so they gave me a month's free service. It would have been cheaper for them to figure out how to give me the credit to start with because I made sure to use only that phone for the month it was free and at a per-minute billing cost, I racked hp a huge bill that they then forgave.

878056_tm150-2_2004_08_25.jpg

At the time, I worked for a struggling electronics company called "Silo" that was forced to clear out a ton of stock. As a result, I got one of these for next to nothing:

440px-MicrotacElite%282%29.jpg

At the time, it was such an awesome phone.

A little Nokia brick with a little stub antenna.
We got these sometime around 1997 when we still has pre-teen kids and my wife drove 25 miles south to work and I 25 miles north.
Seemed like a good idea to be able to keep in touch.

Company phone: Motorola DynaTAC mid 80's - several thousand dollars - used in moderation ...

Personal phone: Nokia early 90's ... several Motorola flip phones ending in Tundra
1 Motorola smart phone
Several iPhones/pads since ...

Samsong Flip phone which I still use today...No laughing please. I have to climb to the top of a utility pole to use my land line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back