What VPN to buy that will make me look like I am in USA or Canada?

Gents,

Thanks for all the input- very good stuff, I am grateful.

Thought to go with Nord VPN. Going through their web-site, I start to feel like I am dealing with another dirty tech outfit. Everything is a long term subscription, but if one wants a monthly subscription, the price triples.

Even their free trail is anything but. One has to buy a subscription, and then cancel and request a refund. That is not a free trial.

Try the NordVPN free trial for 30 days​

If you are not 100% satisfied, cancel anytime before 03/14, request a refund, and get your money back. Begin using NordVPN now!

I had no idea ProtonVPN existed. I'd definitely try that, it's permanently free though you can pay a bit to get extra bandwidth/speed (which you probably won't need unless you're streaming video).

Reactions: GON
Ended up going with "Hide Me". They have a free VPN, just has a very limited bandwidth. and limits amount of data per month.

I am not streaming anything, just going to one merchant web-site.

Hide me worked, I was able to access and post the shipment on Uship.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Gents,

Thought to go with Nord VPN. Going through their web-site, I start to feel like I am dealing with another dirty tech outfit. Everything is a long term subscription, but if one wants a monthly subscription, the price triples.

Even their free trail is anything but. One has to buy a subscription, and then cancel and request a refund. That is not a free trial.

If you are not 100% satisfied, cancel anytime before 03/14, request a refund, and get your money back. Begin using NordVPN now!

Interesting, I paid $70 or so for a two year subscription a year and a half ago...using it currently to watch the Super Bowl overseas. Haven't had any unexpected charges or concerns. I did have to turn off notifications for them trying to prey on the privacy paranoid.

I use it to stream US content overseas, bring up US websites instead of local, and for use on public Wi-Fi and at some sketchy hotels. Place I was at last night the login was username: hotel, password: hotel. Chrome immediately freaked out.

On the cellular network or my own ISP I think VPNs are more of a risk than security benefit.

• Helpful
Gents,

Prepaid free trials suck, but they are all that way. They play the percentages of the number of folks who forget to cancel.

• Helpful
Do you trust the VPN provider or ISP more?

It doesn't make a difference, they're both "untrusted". If you connect to your bank web site for example, that connection is end to end encrypted so you can route through china and still not worry about it; only your computer and the bank's server can actually read the unencrypted communications.

Most web pages are HTTPS (encrypted) these days. If you're doing anything important/sensitive on plain HTTP then anybody who is routing your traffic has access to it.

I've had PIA for some years... I instead used paypal and get auto billed once a year.
Does that lock in the prior paid rate? Been using PIA for years, but usually get a 3 year sub. at a time, well they throw in another 2 mos. free so it's $79 for 38 mos, $2.08 a month. I know they still offer that because they just emailed me offering to re-up my subscription for longer, despite my current sub. still having over a year left on it.

Oh wait, they have a valentine's day sale, same $79/3yr but 3 extra free months so $2.03/mo.

Does that lock in the prior paid rate? Been using PIA for years, but usually get a 3 year sub. at a time, well they throw in another 2 mos. free so it's $79 for 38 mos, $2.08 a month. I know they still offer that because they just emailed me offering to re-up my subscription for longer, despite my current sub. still having over a year left on it.

Oh wait, they have a valentine's day sale, same $79/3yr but 3 extra free months so $2.03/mo.

I recently had my PIA auto renewed via Paypal and it was the same $39.95 for one year that it's always been. The $79 for 39 months sounds like a real deal. I believe I've had it for about 6 or 7 years. I don't know if the $39.95 year is less than their non promotional regular rate now.

Back