What VPN to buy that will make me look like I am in USA or Canada?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I am working in Asia for the next six weeks. I purchased a car part in Houston, that is local pickup only. I use Uship for transporting shipments that are "local pickup only". When I try to log onto Uship and post the item to be transported, Uship denies me access to their web-site, saying they are blocking web-site access from the country I am in.

I think the solution is to get a VPN that shows me in the U.S. or Canada. Any recommendations on which VPN to buy?

I have Avast, but seldom use it. Old man like me would prove pretty boring to track.

But some of the websites that I'm a member of, don't like it for some reason. Try to log in and it says member is banned.
Have never looked into the matter, just shutting it off is easier.

I’ve had good luck with SurfShark. Just a warning through, many websites are starting to detect VPN usage and may return errors. My recommendation is to try one that has free trial to begin, just to see if it meets your needs.

I've had PIA for some years. Locations listed all over the world. They list many US locations that are geo located and some that are not. From my experience, the non geo located taps can sometimes have you appear to be anywhere in the world. The geo located seem to work for the city assigned. PIA also lists about 4 Canada locations, but they are not geo located. When I first signed up several years ago, I had the offer to pay with Amazon GC's. That would have wise. I instead used paypal and get auto billed once a year. Yes, I know that can be removed from a paypal acount. GC's may hide you from standing out as someone who is shopping for privacy.

I've had PIA for some years. Locations listed all over the world. They list many US locations that are geo located and some that are not. From my experience, the non geo located taps can sometimes have you appear to be anywhere in the world. The geo located seem to work for the city assigned. PIA also lists about 4 Canada locations, but they are not geo located. When I first signed up several years ago, I had the offer to pay with Amazon GC's. That would have wise. I instead used paypal and get auto billed once a year. Yes, I know that can be removed from a paypal acount. GC's may hide you from standing out as someone who is shopping for privacy.
Hank,

Thanks. What is a GC?

I use Nord VPN for this purpose, it allows you to choose which location you want to connect to. I travel with an Android streaming stick and have the app installed on that device as well so I can connect to US streaming apps while on the road. Works on Windows and Android phones as well.

I use Private internet Access as well. Been using it for over four years now, and it works great. Can route through any state or country as needed or desired. They are adding servers and now have them for most of the states as well.

Very happy with PIA. Easy set-up too. Only have an issue now and then with some websites that have blocked PIA servers. I just round robin till I find a PIA server that works so I don't "show" my information, especially banking logon, over WiFi connections.

VPN also keeps Spectrum from seeing what I'm doing since the VPN "tunnels" my traffic through my ISP. Sometimes they (ISPs) target advertisements, and sell your "preferences", so they can make additional income from your traffic. Been doing it for years since they are viewed as a "utility" and charge mostly "flat-rate".

ISPs continually looking for ways to monetize your traffic (that you pay for) through their wires.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Private Internet Access here too. I've been using it on my phone and PC for several years and no complaints. I can hardly tell any difference in browsing speed when connected anywhere in North America and only a very slight difference when connected to Europe.

For your use case, which is probably just general web browsing/youtube/etc, it really won't matter too much which VPN you use. Any of the big names are fine for that. NordVPN, Surfshark, PIA, etc. Pick whichever is cheapest.

I’ve had good luck with SurfShark. Just a warning through, many websites are starting to detect VPN usage and may return errors. My recommendation is to try one that has free trial to begin, just to see if it meets your needs.
+1 on Surfshark.
I have been using VPNs for at least 10 years and have had several of them. I run the VPN using OpenVPN from my Asus router so everything in the house is on it. Surfshark is at least as good as the best of them, and is far cheaper (only $60 for 26 months, but they also have monthly plans). They are the lower priced brother to Nord (same parent company, same servers). They also now have something new called Camouflage Mode, which is packet obfuscation. "Obfuscation is a method that makes sure outsiders (like your internet provider) who may be watching your traffic cannot tell that it’s actually VPN traffic because it disguises the VPN packets of data as something else." I have not had any problem connecting to Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos, or anything else using Surfshark (like I did when I used PIA and Express). This would work well for what the OP is trying to accomplish.

It's for a six week jaunt, and you just need one or two parts, right? Why not email your wife the link and have her buy it? I mean, if you are gone for 6 weeks, I'm guessing you're not going to be on some 6 week long shopping spree, no?

If you have a house in the US you can run a VPN server there for yourself. When you are away your usage from another country would appear to be from your house. This is especially good for TV services which are strictly locked to the customer's IP.

I just run an ssh proxy service using an Amazon cloud server. Install "Foxy Proxy" in firefox and bobs your uncle. Probably not as easy for a non-techy as the other options listed here though.

I just run an ssh proxy service using an Amazon cloud server. Install "Foxy Proxy" in firefox and bobs your uncle. Probably not as easy for a non-techy as the other options listed here though.
I don't think OP wants or needs to go that far. But I, too, use a VPN of sorts on a Google Cloud free tier VM, running a Tailscale exit node on it. No plugins needed; just fire up the Tailscale app on a mobile device and choose to use the exit node and Bob's yer uncle!

Been working in West Africa since last year and PIA is what I use. Got it for 50$ for a year, seem to quite reliable and fast, no issues so far

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I remember using a whatever free proxy vpn on my android to route traffic to the US when some apps said they weren't available in the region when traveling. Many will do at least that.

I don't think OP wants or needs to go that far. But I, too, use a VPN of sorts on a Google Cloud free tier VM, running a Tailscale exit node on it. No plugins needed; just fire up the Tailscale app on a mobile device and choose to use the exit node and Bob's yer uncle!

Agreed, I have access to at least 5 servers on a daily basis so an ssh tunnel is usually open on my desk 24/7 anyway.

It's for a six week jaunt, and you just need one or two parts, right? Why not email your wife the link and have her buy it? I mean, if you are gone for 6 weeks, I'm guessing you're not going to be on some 6 week long shopping spree, no?
ST,

I was able to purchase the item on Ebay (see pic below). Ebay and Paypal have no issue with me executing a transaction throughout Asia.

The issue is a shipping web-site called Uship. It is like an Ebay platform for getting things shipped. Uship is denying me access to their web-site since I am in Asia. How Uship works, is a person posts a item they want transported, and the pickup and delivery location. Transporters then bid on the shipment. One has to closely review each transporter, etc.

I have used Uship to transport things like Ford Harley Davidson 18" rims for a 2004 F350, from Arkansas to Utah. The reason those rims were so "special" is for 1999-2004 Super Dutys, the only rim size available was 16". Except in 2004, Ford offered a 18" rimm option for Harley Davidson and one other package. 2005-2016 super duty rims don't fit the 99-04s without spacers. I wanted 18" rims, but didn't want spacers on my 2002 Super Duty, so I found the rims in Arkansas. The person I hired on Uship was transporting a horse trailer from TX to UT, and simply put the HD rims in the horse trailer. It helped him, and helped me. I am looking for a like deal to transport the radiator support from Houston to Seattle. I am in no hurry for the part.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Gents,

Thanks for all the input- very good stuff, I am grateful.

Thought to go with Nord VPN. Going through their web-site, I start to feel like I am dealing with another dirty tech outfit. Everything is a long term subscription, but if one wants a monthly subscription, the price triples.

Even their free trail is anything but. One has to buy a subscription, and then cancel and request a refund. That is not a free trial.

Try the NordVPN free trial for 30 days​

If you are not 100% satisfied, cancel anytime before 03/14, request a refund, and get your money back. Begin using NordVPN now!

Back