What oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fore18
thats what i,m running, but the guys over at road star clinic.said not a good choice.

Huh? Did they qualify the statement or are they from the "syn only" camp.
I had an 06 1100 v-star. I bought it with 10000kms and sold it with 40000kms. I used Amsoil v-twin,mobil 1 v-twin,castrol conventional and rotella in that bike. The valvetrain was most quiet with the rotella.
I use rotella 15w-40 conventional in all my shared sump bikes and in the primary of my Harley without a single issue.
It's a great oil and meets the JASO spec so go ahead if that's what you want to use.
I got sucked in to the bull that bikes need v-twin oils. They cost more for limited return. I use auto oil in my Harley too.
Isn't that bike a liquid cooled v-4. If so then oil selection isn't that important. As long as it meets JASO. Oils marked energy conserving should be avoided at all costs.
Now rotella is the only Heavy duty engine oil I've seen that meets the JASO spec. It contains no friction modifiers which may wreak havoc with your clutch. I think delo and devlac contain moly(not much but it's there) so I don't recommend them.
Use the rotella and never think about it again

no the bike is a air cooled pushrod v twin just like your harley.i have always used some form of rotella in bikes. just got rid of a vtx 1300 with over 80,000 miles on it and it always ran with rotella 5w40 and never missed a beat.wifes 950vtwin air cooled has been running 15w40 rotella since we bought it new.so i think i,ve answered my own question,i,m gonna run rotella. thanks guys!

The Valvoline 4t syn seems to hold up really well from my experience and its a couple bucks cheaper per quart than the Mobil and Castrol syn motorcycle oil on the shelf.

Many report good results from auto Mobil 1 15w50 in shared sump air cooled bikes.

Last edited:
Hey Clevy, how's your Harley Engine sound (valve train noise) with the Rotella Conventional 15w40 and how often you change the oil.

Valvoline VR-1 conventional 20W-50 is what I run in mine

There are a few UOA's here.. somewhere.. and this oil tends to hold up well in the air cooled bikes.

Just bought a new 2008 Road Star Silverado. Going be using the same oil I ran in my Nomad. Brad Penn V 4 Stroke 10w-40

Quote:
Now rotella is the only Heavy duty engine oil I've seen that meets the JASO spec. It contains no friction modifiers which may wreak havoc with your clutch. I think delo and devlac contain moly(not much but it's there) so I don't recommend them.
The used oil analysis section shows that the Rotella oils contain moly. And it still passes the JASO-MA wet clutch tests. Schaeffer's V-Twin 20W-50 contains both moly and Schaeffer's proprietary friction modifier Penetro according to the data sheet, and passes JASO-MA.

By the way, V-Twin is a euphemism for a Harley without getting into copyright disputes or payments.

I've tried all kinds of oils in my bikes over the years from HDEO's to various bike-specific oils. The one that seems to work best is Motul 300v.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
The used oil analysis section shows that the Rotella oils contain moly. And it still passes the JASO-MA wet clutch tests. Schaeffer's V-Twin 20W-50 contains both moly and Schaeffer's proprietary friction modifier Penetro according to the data sheet, and passes JASO-MA.

By the way, V-Twin is a euphemism for a Harley without getting into copyright disputes or payments.

If you look closely at the bottles of rotella shell claims it meets jaso,it isn't certified.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I've tried all kinds of oils in my bikes over the years from HDEO's to various bike-specific oils. The one that seems to work best is Motul 300v.

I used that oil in my Harley once. The top end was nice and quiet but it's cost prohibitive at 23 bucks a quart here.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:

By the way, V-Twin is a euphemism for a Harley without getting into copyright
disputes or payments.

If you look closely at the bottles of rotella shell claims it meets jaso,it isn't certified.

And only the rotella t-6 has moly. The t-5 doesn't and the voa I found for the conventional 10w-30 had none,nor did the conventional 15w-40.
You may want to research before making a blanket statement and be incorrect in that statement.
I use the conventional 15w-40 in my primary,with no moly.

I don't use it in the engine,just the primary. Lately I've been using motul in the motor.
I will be trying out the conventional rotella this spring though so if you like I can message you once I do.
I can tell you that my shared sump bikes are whisper quiet until about 3000 miles on oil,then the top end gets a bit louder and the shifting gets notchy. But I have found 5 gallon pails at wal-mart and peavey mart for under 70 bucks,so as soon as operation of the bike changes I change the oil. No point in tolerating the operational difference when the oil is so cheap.

I've had a 2003 Roadstar for 6 years now and have used only Amsoil 10W-40 MC oil in it and change it once a year. Once-a-year OCI and Synthetic oil in an air-cooled engine gives me piece-of-mind :)

Thats pretty...

If we deeply look at the bottles of rotella shell claims it meets jaso,I prefer this as well.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The Valvoline 4t syn seems to hold up really well from my experience and its a couple bucks cheaper per quart than the Mobil and Castrol syn motorcycle oil on the shelf.

Many report good results from auto Mobil 1 15w50 in shared sump air cooled bikes.

I like the Valvoline dino better than the Rotella...just my personal preference...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back