What oil in 88 Buick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up an 88 Buick LeSabre Limited with only 84,0000 on it. I've had my share of Buicks with the 3800 in them and I know that it calls for 10-30 to run in it, but with the oils of today; could a guy run 5-30 in it year around instead of switching from 10-30 to 5-30 in the winter?

Yes. I would think more effort is put into making superior 5W-30s by the mfgs since it is specified in so many new cars, where 10W-30 is not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pajero
AS long as the seals don't leak...

Pajero

It isn't any more likely to leak 5W-30 than 10w-30...

Id have no issue running 5w-30 in any 3800. Id probably run Maxlife 5w-30 personally.

My suggestion for a good and reasonably priced oil is....Mobil Super 5000 5w30. It should easily do 5000 OCI's.

My filter choice would be either a Pureolator PureOne or Classic....The oil and filter can all be purchased at WM.

Good luck in your 'new' ride. Hope it gives you many good miles.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
My suggestion for a good and reasonably priced oil is....Mobil Super 5000 5w30. It should easily do 5000 OCI's.

My filter choice would be either a Pureolator PureOne or Classic....The oil and filter can all be purchased at WM.

Good luck in your 'new' ride. Hope it gives you many good miles.

Hard to go wrong with that.

If your Buick has the 3800 VIN C engine, you should be fine running 5w30 all year.

My '89 Olds Delta 88 (3800 VIN C) specified 5w30 as the preferred fill and ran great on 5w30, right up to the day I junked it, this past June, at 269,000 miles, because of severe rust.

I'm not aware of any internal engine differences between '88 and '89 for that motor.

I would put GC in it. The 0W-30 gives you great winter starts, the 30 (on the thick side, almost a 40) is a good range for an old engine with a fair amount of miles on it, and GC is great for seals and valve cover gaskets. You could go with GC and an extra large filter, and go for something like 8K or 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
BTW, if that engine ever starts to act up by stalling in hot weather, then switch to a thicker oil.

How does that help?

My next change for my 94 Bonneville with the 3800 will be with 5W-30 MaxLife. With all these $5 off Valvoline coupons lately at Walmart, it's tough to beat s semi-synthetic for $12.27 for a 5 qt jug.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
BTW, if that engine ever starts to act up by stalling in hot weather, then switch to a thicker oil.

How does that help?

Yeah I'd like to hear that explanation as well...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

How does that help?

Yeah I'd like to hear that explanation as well...

I'd Like to know as well...
crazy2.gif

I have had my share of 3800's in Prk. Avenues in the past, but none of those was as old as the 88 I just purchased. I don't have any problem switching from 10-30 in the summer to 5-30 in the winter but I would rather just keep running the same so since I have run Maxlife before in other vehicles, I'm going to throw some 5-30 Nexgen Maxlife in it for starters. Thanks for the input everybody...

2 03 Corollas-5-30 QSUD and Wix filters
04 Rav4-5-30 Nexgen and Wix filter

Without question GC; not all engines are "perfect" for that oil but I believe the 3800 is. My Regal Turbo would have loved it...what a machine that was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back