What oil for a new VW Beetle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Only Issue is warranty.

You DO want to maintain your warranty in a VW !

Correct answer here

What the manual says.....like for every other vehicle in warranty - if you care about the warranty.

If you like to argue - by all means - use whatever you like. You can argue with VW, through the dealer, to your hearts content.

just get the oil that has the VW508.00/509.00 approval - there are many and do it yourself - you will save money and you actually know whats in there. Or take it to the dealer and save the receipts. They will charge more for the oil anyway I would bet.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
What the manual says.....like for every other vehicle in warranty - if you care about the warranty.

If you like to argue - by all means - use whatever you like. You can argue with VW, through the dealer, to your hearts content.

I argued with my VW dealer they DID NOT use VW 508 oil at my first oil change,

they used Castrol 5W40 ( VW 502/505.01) and the engine didn't respond properly; I knew it the first hour I drove it.

I brought it back two months later and had them install Motul SPECIFIC 508/509 that I bough online.

They didn't refund my previous oil change though.

So They may be only "green dye" sensitive - -unless something catastrophically fails.

Last edited:
I tell my daughter to never leave an oil change shop or dealer service center, without the receipt showing the oil brand name - oil viscosity and filter brand name
Example: .....Citgo 5W30 and Auto Extra oil filter. If it's synthetic oil, then say it on the receipt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back