What oil for 2019 Chrysler 5.7L Hemi

The most recent Hemis call for 0w-20 right? All 0w-20 oils across all brands is synthetic. The owner's manual in my mom's older 2013 JGC 5.7 says to use 5w-20 and it can be conventional or synthetic. It never states to use one over another at all, however.

My advice though, definitely stick to synthetic oil. It stopped our Hemi from ticking at idle at only 35,000 miles, and keeps the engine cleaner. It now has about 48,000 and is still smooth! I use the 5w-20 in Arizona. Oil temperatures stay between 210-220. This is with the heavy duty engine cooling feature from the off-road adventure II package, however.
No, 5W-20. I have a 2020 RAM and it's right on the oil cap and in the owners manual that is in post#17. Also, not all 0W-20 oils are full synthetic, Pennzoil and Valvoline both list 0W-20 synthetic blends. Honda also sold a synthetic blend 0W-20 at one time but I'm not sure if they still do.

The most recent Hemis call for 0w-20 right? All 0w-20 oils across all brands is synthetic. The owner's manual in my mom's older 2013 JGC 5.7 says to use 5w-20 and it can be conventional or synthetic. It never states to use one over another at all, however.

My advice though, definitely stick to synthetic oil. It stopped our Hemi from ticking at idle at only 35,000 miles, and keeps the engine cleaner. It now has about 48,000 and is still smooth! I use the 5w-20 in Arizona. Oil temperatures stay between 210-220. This is with the heavy duty engine cooling feature from the off-road adventure II package, however.

Sorry, but at least through SN+ all 0W-20 is not full synthetic.

No, 5W-20. I have a 2020 RAM and it's right on the oil cap and in the owners manual that is in post#17. Also, not all 0W-20 oils are full synthetic, Pennzoil and Valvoline both list 0W-20 synthetic blends. Honda also sold a synthetic blend 0W-20 at one time but I'm not sure if they still do.
It was the Pentastar that switched from 5w-20 to 0w-20 but I expect we may see the same with the 5.7L in the relatively near future.

Man a grand cherokee has got to be fun with a hemi 5.7L in it.

I've currently got supertech synthetic 5w30 in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic's hemi 5.7 and will likely stick with that. Like said, the manual and oil cap states to use 5w20.

Smooth and quiet cold starts and over 21mpg average tank to tank fuel economy (hand calc).

I guess I've been told wrong about 0w-20 this whole time! 0w-20 synthetic blend. I wonder what the true mixture is for that one compared to 5w-xx syn. blends.

I found where I read not to use Synthetic oil in the Hemi engine Do Not Use Synthetic Oil.
That post is completely out to lunch. The EXACT same MDS components are used on the SRT's with the 6.4L for example, and by far the biggest impact on viscosity is temperature, not whether the oil is synthetic or conventional when of the same grade. To state as such means somebody doesn't understanding the grading system.

Also, the MDS failure theory? Well, many of the lifters that fail are not MDS and the Hellkitty engines that don't have MDS have also experienced it, though in fewer quantities based on what I was able to find. I haven't seen a theory beyond poor QC from the manufacturer that adequately covers all the permutations, and that's supported by the fact that they've been revised multiple times now.

Last edited:
That post is completely out to lunch. The EXACT same MDS components are used on the SRT's with the 6.4L for example, and by far the biggest impact on viscosity is temperature, not whether the oil is synthetic or conventional when of the same grade. To state as such means somebody doesn't understanding the grading system.

Also, the MDS failure theory? Well, many of the lifters that fail are not MDS and the Hellkitty engines that don't have MDS have also experienced it, though in fewer quantities based on what I was able to find. I haven't seen a theory beyond poor QC from the manufacturer that adequately covers all the permutations, and that's supported by the fact that they've been revised multiple times now.

3 different dealerships made excuses when my '19 Rebel began to show signs of lifter/cam failure at 2800 miles. They refused to acknowledge that they were dealing with batches of bad parts and wanted my truck for a month before they could get too it. Guess what? Not a Mopar in my stable anymore. I love the Hemi, but lately, they need to seriously sit down and be honest with themselves and start getting quality cams and lifters in these engines.

3 different dealerships made excuses when my '19 Rebel began to show signs of lifter/cam failure at 2800 miles. They refused to acknowledge that they were dealing with batches of bad parts and wanted my truck for a month before they could get too it. Guess what? Not a Mopar in my stable anymore. I love the Hemi, but lately, they need to seriously sit down and be honest with themselves and start getting quality cams and lifters in these engines.
That sounds shady, would have been under warranty and should have been dealt with promptly. A '19 should also have the updated lifters, sounds like your dealer was complete garbage.

That sounds shady, would have been under warranty and should have been dealt with promptly. A '19 should also have the updated lifters, sounds like your dealer was complete garbage.

All three of them were garbage. Truck got sold immediately after getting nowhere with FCA as well. The truck also had an annoying front end squeak because of the break's being out of tolerance. Guess what? Ohhh that's a shame, we need your truck for at least a week to figure it out. This was after I provided them with multiple Star bulletins for the issue showing them what the fix was.

All three of them were garbage. Truck got sold immediately after getting nowhere with FCA as well. The truck also had an annoying front end squeak because of the break's being out of tolerance. Guess what? Ohhh that's a shame, we need your truck for at least a week to figure it out. This was after I provided them with multiple Star bulletins for the issue showing them what the fix was.

Sweet Jesus! Ours was early production too, so had the same brake squeak, also had the cab mount TSB done for the clunk and rear calliper mounts replaced, as they'd squeal in reverse. All were booked, parts ordered, and the work was completed within a few hours. We've never been without it overnight. Touch-wood, after the TSB's for those items it has been perfect.

Sweet Jesus! Ours was early production too, so had the same brake squeak, also had the cab mount TSB done for the clunk and rear calliper mounts replaced, as they'd squeal in reverse. All were booked, parts ordered, and the work was completed within a few hours. We've never been without it overnight. Touch-wood, after the TSB's for those items it has been perfect.

Here, the RAM dealers avoid warrantied issues like the plague. One parts manager told me the parts take longer to get here because we are in the "mountains". This dealership is smack in the middle of the largest city in the state.............

Touch-wood, after the TSB's for those items it has been perfect.

Honestly, it's unacceptable that after 17 years they haven't figured out the cam/lifter failure ( tick, whatever you want to call it). I know it's a small percentage, but a small percentage having the same old problem speaks for their commitment to fixing it, and their poor dealership CS. My 2018 5.7 has been reliable and, at 35K miles, I have not been back to the dealership other than for a tire rotation. No complaints. Yet, it's highly unlikely all the "complaints" about lifter tick are the owners' fault. The Hemi is a sweet engine and in my short experience any properly API rated xW-20/30 or 40 should be a good option, they're not oil prima donas but, Geez!, we've been hearing about this tick since Dubya said "Mission Accomplished".

Here, the RAM dealers avoid warrantied issues like the plague. One parts manager told me the parts take longer to get here because we are in the "mountains". This dealership is smack in the middle of the largest city in the state.............
Ridiculous. My dealer is excellent, really goes to show how quality of the dealer can make or break that relationship.

Honestly, it's unacceptable that after 17 years they haven't figured out the cam/lifter failure ( tick, whatever you want to call it). I know it's a small percentage, but a small percentage having the same old problem speaks for their commitment to fixing it, and their poor dealership CS. My 2018 5.7 has been reliable and, at 35K miles, I have not been back to the dealership other than for a tire rotation. No complaints. Yet, it's highly unlikely all the "complaints" about lifter tick are the owners' fault. The Hemi is a sweet engine and in my short experience any properly API rated xW-20/30 or 40 should be a good option, they're not oil prima donas but, Geez!, we've been hearing about this tick since Dubya said "Mission Accomplished".
Not sure if GM has their AFM engine lifter failure licked yet either? I suspect that both use the same supplier for lifters and hence them both experiencing failure. I know both companies are now several revisions deep on the lifters and the issue is supposed to be fixed now but as I said, the real proof will be several years from now when the current version has sufficient miles on it to know.

Back