What oil for 2019 Chrysler 5.7L Hemi

I own a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi. It has only 485 miles on it . I have not driven it due to being ill and the Covid-19 lock downs. I have had the vehicle for almost 1 year. My question is should I change the factory oil that came in it because of the age or is it alright to put some miles on the oil, before I change the oil and filters? Also I have been told by several people that say they have heard that Mopar is saying to not use synthetic oil in that engine, is that true or is it just urban legend?

Look in your manual/maintenance booklet. I believe you are required to change the oil at least once a year in order to not cause issues on the warranty front.
As far as synthetic oil, I don't believe there is anything in the manual that would prevent you from using synthetic oil. As long as the oil meets the specs listed in the manual, you're good.

If it's sat that long, I would go ahead and change it and start getting some miles on it. I'm not sure who is saying to not use synthetic in it, but it comes from the factory with synthetic factory fill. At least my two did. I switched them over to 5w30 Rotella Gas Truck and a Fram Ultra filter. They ran nice and smooth, and the UOA's were peachy.

I have the same vehicle as the OP, 2019 Hemi JGC Summit. Changed the factory fill at 1,000 miles and continue to use PYB 5W-20 at 5,000 mile intervals.
I use the OE MOPAR filter.
Yes, do change the oil at one year, and I am in no rush to move to synthetic.

Yes, owner's manual states to perform an oil change at least once per year.

You need a MS-6395 certified 5W-20. Almost every major brand of engine oil is MS-6395 certified except for Mobil 1. Avoid Mobil 1 if you wish to be in full compliance with FCA requirements.

Go by what the owners manual says. It was put in your car for a reason.
I'm going to put what the Oil Fill Cap has printed on it. I was wondering if anyone had read or heard to not use synthetic oil in the motor. I use Shell Rotella Oil in my Ram Truck with the IL-6 6.7L CTD

I will just take the Jeep to the dealer and have the oil done I get free oil changes from them from some program I got letter from the dealer about using up my oil changes. let them put the correct oil in it. :unsure:

Your question was about "Mopar saying to not use synthetic oil" which I thought I answered by linking to the Mopar website directly. :)
I have Shell Rotella 5/20 oil that I use in my RV my concern was I had read where someone said that Mopar said not to use Synthetic Oil in the Hemi engine. I will just use the 5w/20w oil I have if and when I need to add any oil. With less than 500 miles on the JGC I'm not going to worry about it but will have the oil and filters changed due to the oil being over 12 months old that's in the engine.Thanks

I have Shell Rotella 5/20 oil that I use in my RV my concern was I had read where someone said that Mopar said not to use Synthetic Oil in the Hemi engine. I will just use the 5w/20w oil I have if and when I need to add any oil. With less than 500 miles on the JGC I'm not going to worry about it but will have the oil and filters changed due to the oil being over 12 months old that's in the engine.Thanks
All the SRT's as well as the 6.4L truck engine call for a synthetic only, as you can't make a conventional 0w-40. Whatever bog this lore was pulled from, it needs to be placed back there.

The most recent Hemis call for 0w-20 right? All 0w-20 oils across all brands is synthetic. The owner's manual in my mom's older 2013 JGC 5.7 says to use 5w-20 and it can be conventional or synthetic. It never states to use one over another at all, however.

My advice though, definitely stick to synthetic oil. It stopped our Hemi from ticking at idle at only 35,000 miles, and keeps the engine cleaner. It now has about 48,000 and is still smooth! I use the 5w-20 in Arizona. Oil temperatures stay between 210-220. This is with the heavy duty engine cooling feature from the off-road adventure II package, however.

Back