What Oil Do Most Subaru Owners Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have seen, when it comes to lubrication of Subaru engines, there appear to be three camps. First is the performance camp. Those that own turbocharged engines. Not being in that camp, I'm not totally privy to their choice, but I have seen enough to know that there are some strong opinions of best motor oil for the turbo engines.

Second is a group that strongly believes in following the Subaru recommendation. By far the majority of Subaru engines have factory recommendations of either 5W-30 or 0W-20. No strong brand preference in these groups, except for a small following of those that believe the FB engines are prone to burn more oil when on a M1 diet.

The third group is the same one that exists here. The ones that can't ever put anything thinner than a 5W-30 oil in their engine. Once again, no strong brand preference.

So, except for the performance group, owners of Subaru cars have oil preferences just like the rest of the people here on BITOG.

According my search:
US market
5237553747_3b642b5283.jpg

syntheticoil8.JPG

Europe
SUBARU-by-MOTUL-5W-30.jpg

Mine got 0W-20 PP or Quaker State Full syn. Will soon switch to Mobil 0-20 AFE as I got a deal from BJs plus a nice rebate.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
T6 is fairly ubiquitous with the stage 3/track crowd.

FI average user: Xw40 for 4-5k

NA average user 5w30.

That holds over the EA engine series.

That should read EJ series, I think my tablet auto-corrected me and I didn't notice.. Sorry for any confusion.

It was a "fairly ubiquitous" mistake. We ALL knew what you meant...

Motul is universally recognized by the Subie crowd as the answer for the performance or enthusiast type, as well as T6 as others have pointed out. The Motul is harder to come by while T6 or M1 0W-40 being more accessible. I suppose it just depends on how much you want to go through to get your oil of choice.

Motul is the in-service fill in Europe and is a tech partner for their racing endeavors gloablly fwiw.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This has been discussed here in several past threads and has been pretty well dismissed as a concern.
It has been pointed out in other threads that many high mileage oils intended for use in vehicles with catalytic converters, including some from SOPUS, have ZDDP levels that rival anything you'll find in current HDEOs.
Unless an engine is consuming a lot of oil, I don't think that there would be any problem since those adds that could poison a cat don't seem to volatize, judging by the residual amounts seen in UOAs.
Most of us take the cautionary note from RDS as CYA and the fact remains that these oils do carry current API SI certs. I can't think of any vehicles for which an API SM oil is recommended that don't have catalytic converters and Rotella, like every other dual rated HDEO is marketed as a mixed fleet oil.

Anyone who chooses to ignore Shell Technical's recommendation does so at their own risk.

I tried to explain in detail the reasoning behind Shell's injunction against using Rotella oils in catalyst equipped vehicles and why that was probably unimportant.
Maybe you missed that part.
I also wrote that many currently available PCMO oils from Shell and others bust current API limits for ZDDP.
I guess you overlooked that part.
I also noted that most Rotella oils carry current API certs for SI applications and the reason for that is that they're sold as mixed fleet use oils.
I guess you might have missed that part as well.
Shell's actions in publishing API SI suitability for SM applications speak louder than their words enjoining the use of Rotella oils in catalyst equipped applications.

My sprinkler guy uses any oil change coupon he can find on his subaru and he has over 110,000 miles on it and he changes it every 5000 or so miles and when we did the head gasket at 84,000 miles a few years ago the inside was very clean and it still runs pretty good.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
From what I have seen, when it comes to lubrication of Subaru engines, there appear to be three camps. First is the performance camp. Those that own turbocharged engines. Not being in that camp, I'm not totally privy to their choice, but I have seen enough to know that there are some strong opinions of best motor oil for the turbo engines.

Second is a group that strongly believes in following the Subaru recommendation. By far the majority of Subaru engines have factory recommendations of either 5W-30 or 0W-20. No strong brand preference in these groups, except for a small following of those that believe the FB engines are prone to burn more oil when on a M1 diet.

The third group is the same one that exists here. The ones that can't ever put anything thinner than a 5W-30 oil in their engine. Once again, no strong brand preference.

So, except for the performance group, owners of Subaru cars have oil preferences just like the rest of the people here on BITOG.

this is probably the best way to put it.

however, even in the new DIT 2.0 WRX crowd, there is a mix of opinions about running 5w30 or something thicker.

even with the modified 2015+ WRX crowd, there is disagreement.

maybe I can share an experience.

I bought a 2013 2.5 NA Legacy 6mt November 2012.

It burned about 1 quart per 2500 miles. Subaru said it was within spec. I knew better.

Someone on the forums told me to run a 5w30 and not worry about it as much.

I started an oil consumption test with the dealer, but before I could prove anytbing, I got rid of it June 2013 and bought a 3.6r.

The 3.6r had about zero issues.

Fast forward to 2015. I was at the dealer for service. My service tech said they are backed up. They have 13 crate motors waiting to go into cars sith the 2.5 NA.

Had I run the thicker oil, Subaru would not have solved my problem.

If you are under warranty and plan on using it, stick to factory recommendation.

If you are beyond your warranty and have a reason to run something heavier, do it.

I am spec'd for 5w30 but run Redline 10w40 or Mobil1 15w50 in my 2015 wrx. I will go back to Redline 10w40.

EJ guys swear by Rotella T6. Some even use Redline 10w40.

This is only my opinion: I don't see anything good coming out of using 0w20 unless you are still under factory warranty.

I don't see how the dealer is going to know that you've done your own changes if:

A: You use a new crush washer and genuine oil filter
B: You don't tell them

Seriously, they are sneaky [censored] if they think they can attribute a failed engine to an oil superior to theirs that happens to be a slightly different thickness. Has anyone EVER and I mean EVER had an engine fail 100% because they used 30 grade instead of 20?

With that said, I've only ever used 40 in a turbo subaru and 30 in N/A. I've also used Rotella T6 in my N/A and there was zero difference.

Last edited:
when a motor fails, and if you have been doing your own changes, Subaru will require at least receipts of those changes.

Either receipts from oil change places or purchase receipts if you did your own.

I am with you on the oil. I dont believe the motor will fail. However, if the motor has a flaw, it will fail.

Point is, they will require proof of oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
T6 5w40

Shell Technical says that "Rotella oils are not recommended for gasoline cars with catalytic converters."

That being the case, one wonders why SOPUS bothers with the API SM service classification for these oils?
This is among the listed certs on the label.
Rotella 5W-40 has long been popular among turbo Subaru owners as well as owners of older German SI and CI engined cars.
There have been no reports I've seen of excessive catalytic converter failures.

Yeah, so I have three CAT equipped vehicles well into their second 100K miles and they show no signs of CAT failure - running either Delo 400 or Rotella T6...

Lost one CAT on the Jag due to a head gasket and massive coolant flush. On a hot CAT that will cause failure instantly. But nothing oil related.

The last Volvo Turbo went 288,000 on HDEO before it would not pass SMOG check. It's not the add pak. It's the condition of your rings. The footnote is lawyer speak to cover their butts with the EPA and CARB ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fredrik94087
when a motor fails, and if you have been doing your own changes, Subaru will require at least receipts of those changes.

Either receipts from oil change places or purchase receipts if you did your own.

I am with you on the oil. I dont believe the motor will fail. However, if the motor has a flaw, it will fail.

Point is, they will require proof of oil changes.

Agreed, you can't let the OCI lapse without showing it's been changed. I'd just be changing the oil out in between their OCI without telling them just to prevent potential engine damage. I wouldn't go 6K miles or whatever standard OCI on a DI turbo shear happy fuel dilute'y engine with 20/30 grade oil.

I'm not sure what the OCI is in USA but in Australia they try to make people do 6 month services regardless of kms. They charge about $300 each time too. You'd think they were using the best oil on the planet. Last receipt I had stated "quality havoline" oil.

I just bought a 2017 Legacy and our OCI is 6k miles or 6 months. With the little mileage I put on the car I will be luck to hit 2000 - 2500 miles by 6 months. I was told by Subaru that I still need to change it at 6 months. Looks like the local dealer charges about $80 but there is a sale for Friday and Saturday for $60 I believe. I'm just going to wait till 6 months which is the middle of January. What else can I do????? I personally think I should be able to get 9 months on a synthetic but I can't argue with them over warranty if I don't follow their guidelines.

Originally Posted By: Wheel366
I just bought a 2017 Legacy and our OCI is 6k miles or 6 months. With the little mileage I put on the car I will be luck to hit 2000 - 2500 miles by 6 months. I was told by Subaru that I still need to change it at 6 months. Looks like the local dealer charges about $80 but there is a sale for Friday and Saturday for $60 I believe. I'm just going to wait till 6 months which is the middle of January. What else can I do????? I personally think I should be able to get 9 months on a synthetic but I can't argue with them over warranty if I don't follow their guidelines.

6 months? That's the first time I've heard a time requirement less than a year on a modern vehicle and it sounds like a money grab. Check your manual and Subaru of America before listening to a dealer.

Originally Posted By: jayg

6 months? That's the first time I've heard a time requirement less than a year on a modern vehicle and it sounds like a money grab. Check your manual and Subaru of America before listening to a dealer.

yes, 6 months is what the MANUFACTURER wants

Originally Posted By: jayg

That's from the manual and I confirmed by emailing Subaru directly. Sucks. I haven't heard that this engine is a sludge factory like the Audi 1.8t (I have one of those too) where it was a 10k oil change that got knocked down to 5k and a filter change to a filter twice the size and synthetic a requirement (was originally syn or dino) due to engines blowing up.

Originally Posted By: cmhj

yes, 6 months is what the MANUFACTURER wants

Right that's what I was looking to clarify if it was just a dealer saying that or if it was from the MANUFACTURER as you capitalized.

Well, that shows that Subaru doesn't have faith in their products. Somebody could have less than 3k miles but go over 6 months and they would be out of what the manufacturer recommends... it's like 1970 all over again except these boxer motors are water cooled. Still burn almost the same amount of oil though.

I went to the Rocky Mountain Subaru Festival in September in Denver and the oil of choice for all the tuner shops who had a booths there was Schaeffer Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back