What is this?

There is a local guy selling this on FB and was wondering what it is?
What is it.jpg
What is it.jpg

Not sure. Electrical measurement tool of some kind. Most likely an early "Megger" used to test motor windings. Just my guess. That disc on the right looks like it rises and falls with the crank, so some sort of measurement can be observed through the site glass.

Electrical in nature, for sure. Looks like adjustable taps, but what for, beats me. The three smaller knobs look like attachment points for wire, wire that runs off to...?

Looks like an old style analog encabulator before the Amish introduced turbo models
Ah yes, instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance.

Important breakthrough.

It is an analog encabulator but the bezel from the flux knob is missing. Have you looked in the barn?

OP, It would be interesting to see what is connected inside the box to those two multiple select switches. If you post pictures of the inside there would be a better chance of someone figuring out what it is.

Is it for winding wire to make a field/stator for a motor/generator?

Didn't motors and generators burn up a lot back in the early days? Motors were "rewound" back then.

The "electronics side" on the left is for testing. The thing screams DC to me.

Was there any writing on it anywhere?

Not sure. Electrical measurement tool of some kind. Most likely an early "Megger" used to test motor windings. Just my guess. That disc on the right looks like it rises and falls with the crank, so some sort of measurement can be observed through the site glass.
I'm with you, looks like an early megger of some type.

Back