what is this thing?

FB25D engine
Filter in question:
Subaru blue "emergency" oil filter

first time I encountered this..

PXL_20240130_205045357.jpg

PXL_20240130_205052940.jpg

PXL_20240130_205106415.jpg

When I inspect it, it came all the way through from the inside. So probably too much glue or probably some foreign material that shouldn't be there fell inside the filter during transport or storage. Maybe I just got lucky I caught it before it goes down to the engine or maybe I'm not that there is a possibility that some already went in there. Well engine is fine. Running as it should. No oil codes or warning lights.

When I inspect it, it came all the way through from the inside. So probably too much glue or probably some foreign material that shouldn't be there fell inside the filter during transport or storage. Maybe I just got lucky I caught it before it goes down to the engine or maybe I'm not that there is a possibility that some already went in there. Well engine is fine. Running as it should. No oil codes or warning lights.
Can you tell what the material is? It must have been caught somehow, because if not it would have been swept into the engine from the oil flow going past it.

I'm 99% sure it is not metal. More like hair/ fiber like.
What's holding it in place and has it anchored down in the center tube? Maybe it's something thats trapped/pinched between the ADBV and base plate.

This would be a fram build, correct?
Looking at the baseplate design, looks most like Champ Labs made to me. Iirc, Subaru was briefly using ecore filters supplied by First Brand Champ Labs (rather than Fram), (maybe where term emergency in OP from). I can't see center tube, but speculate it is an ecore nylon tube. Remember watching the youtube suby-dude mech video, hating on them bigly. 😂

As for what the little thread like thing is, just be a guess. Secord pic make it look like perhaps a stand of the glue used hold and glue/seal center part of plate to outer ring holding sealing gasket. That just speculation, doesn't look metallic.

Back