What is really positive and has helped you being a member of BITOG community

Pretty much too much to list without making a post that can rival War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy or Fyodor Dostoyevsky.... This board has the human touch. People actually care, you get more attention to any life event (privately and respectfully by those in charge) than anywhere, and this site genuinely wants people to do good.

Captains Of Industry post here, Vollig Losgelost levels of scientific discourse and fun complete with Fehler im Visier.. I've been on other forums, and don't even use them anymore.

This site has it all. No need to go anywhere else.

Looking forward to May...

I'm living proof. This site cares.... and can't be beat.

Up until recently I’ve been on the sidelines even though I signed up back in 2018. I’ve learned a lot about oil, filters, and a slew of topics that were made more clear. Then there’s the unrelated oil threads. This is where I‘ve learned more about most everything. For a retired guy knocking 70, this is a good place to escape from the daily madness, my chronic pain, and more. 🧘‍♂️

Pros: found people who can provide good data with supporting evidence of the real difference between different types of oil

Cons: Found way too many unbanned trolls that get away with it by being passive aggressive instead of openly trolling for decades. Yet The people that call them out and bring evidence get banned. Just like any other forum where the mods are literally neck beard redditors who have never interacted with humans IRL.

Alas I got the data I needed.

Pros: found people who can provide good data with supporting evidence of the real difference between different types of oil

Cons: Found way too many unbanned trolls that get away with it by being passive aggressive instead of openly trolling for decades. Yet The people that call them out and bring evidence get banned. Just like any other forum where the mods are literally neck beard redditors who have never interacted with humans IRL.

Alas I got the data I needed.
Another satisfied BITOG customer!

I like how knowledgeable people are, and as forums go, I think respectful. I've been on car forums which are model and generation specific, and it's like getting together with buddies to celebrate how unbelievably astute we all were to get this year of that model. If I say but fellas, I really don't think the steering rack should have failed at 27k, and the AC a year before that! Suddenly, censure, and question arises is this guy worthy of the forum. Dang, prolly easier to get fully initiated into a 1% motorcycle club...

I'm too new but again I've stated that I've found people here to be generally intelligent and respectful.

I can think of something on another forum where I'll share though, I bet I would have gotten the same advice if I had posted here.

Our central air broke summer 2019. Pandemic hits and I'm looking to replace it summer 2020. Thank goodness prices were much lower.

3 ton Trane 16 SEER with 94% furnace. I was always in the habit of measuring the vents at which I'd expect a 20F drop, more is better, but as the old system was failing, I was seeing only 12F of a drop telling me ruh roh.

So with an ambient temp of 75F, the vents were blowing 43F.

43F.

Nothing I could find online says there should be a 32F drop.

Everyone, the salesman, my uncle, said oh that's a brand new system it's running great! You're used to seeing 53-55F look how much better it is now!

Trying to apply what I know about HVAC I am scared s******* about the ducting as that was not part of the job, they reused the old.

One guy on a forum said you have got to get them back out right now. That is not normal and at minimum you're gonna have serious condensation....

Sure enough, 9 days later, even with the outside being 95F? The entire system froze up, there was white frost on the compressor.

The techs had set the variable blower for AC to the same as heat, about 1/2 of what it should have been (set to 650 cfm) so due to the lack of airflow, the system iced up.

Came here to learn more about motor oil/ oil filter ( google search ) and learned more than I will ever need to know to ensure my engine lasts “ forever “.

Like someone else posted, it’s has everything else so no need to look elsewhere for information.

Stayed because of the great variety of topics, insight and humour ( intentional or otherwise ). Learned some do not have a sense of humour.

Joined ( only forum I have ever joined, not on social media ) to hopefully add something to the aviation part and learned anyone can land a complex passenger jet If something happens to the pilots despite zero flying experience, or little.

We have a work forum where pilots ask/discuss flying stuff but never bothered joining or even visiting for some strange reason.

I will finish by saying I never used to donate but felt it was wrong given how much I get from BITOG. I donate now.

Last edited:
It is really helpful to validate that others are as weird about motor oil as I am. Just imagine that a few parts per million of _____(name the substance) can lead to serious debate.

Back