What is best for battery, alternator?

At the moment I am snowed in with another week of bad weather ahead. What is the best for a car that cannot go anywhere:
Not start it at all; start it every day; or start it every other day or every two days? I have read that "short trips" are bad for the alternator which then affects the battery. Not going anywhere at all should be potentially as bad.

I personally start mine and let it fully warm up to where it normally does when I drive it. That’s what I have always done with all of my cars and still do.

At the moment I am snowed in with another week of bad weather ahead. What is the best for a car that cannot go anywhere:
Not start it at all; start it every day; or start it every other day or every two days? I have read that "short trips" are bad for the alternator which then affects the battery. Not going anywhere at all should be potentially as bad.
I would much rather not start it at all until you're ready to go somewhere, likely will require a battery tender, or something like it to keep the battery ready to go.

Or pull the battery out and bring it in the house.

Starting a car just to idle up to operating temp just isn't ideal. Takes too long, wastes gas, potential oil dilution issues depending on the car, harder on the charging system sitting there at slow speeds and low cooling trying to recharge a battery. Plus it does nothing for the driveline.

Bad for the Alternator please explain.

Heat mainly. Doesn't matter how cold it is, at low engine speeds and trying to charge a low(ish) battery you've got an alternator likely at full field generating lots of heat with little airflow to cool it. Plus you're not getting full output from it in the first place at low speeds.

If its only going to sit for a few weeks, and all you're concerned about is the battery, I'd start it periodically. Last thing you want is to find out the battery is weak when you need the vehicle. If its 50f+ out, don't even worry about it. If its only sitting for a week, leave it be. Its the cooler months out, one should not be worrying about heat from an alternator unless there is a problem with the alternator.

If the battery doesn't have issue you should not need to start it at all. Why start it? So instead of one cold start when you want to drive somewhere you do a needless cold start every other day? an extension cord run to the vehicle with $20 trickle charger attached under the hood is all thats needed to supply the milliamps the electronics use when not running and not drain the battery.

keep it on a maintenance charger. sure it won't die after a week if you do nothing, but it will lose significant charge. letting a battery sit in an undercharged state causes sulfation. there's no reason to let that happen when its so easy to just put it on a charger.

While a cold battery has less cranking amps and total capacity available, it also has a significantly slower rate of self discharge.
If fully charged, it will not freeze until - 78f or somewhere around there. it depends on the actual specific gravity of the electrolyte which might be higher in batteries intended for colder climates.

Newer healthier batteries self discharge less than older less healthy batteries.

The parasitic draw might be the same whether cold or warm, but a warm battery has more capacity, and cranking amps available.

As far as the alternator, it is controlled by a voltage regulator. The higher the voltage the VR chooses, the more amperage the depleted battery will ask for.

In my own vehicle, fully fielding the alternator, in 65f ambient, at idle, has it approaching 220f in about 15 minutes, and 220f is about as hot as one wants it to get.

How hot the alternator gets is related to how stressed it is.
How hot an alternator will get in another vehicle is an unknown with tons of influencing variables, one of which is the fan rpm of the alternator itself and the radiator fan's flow around the alternator in that specific vehicle.

The battery decides how much amperage it will accept at a certain pressure( voltage), upto the amperage limits of the charging source.
This amount varies with depth of discharge, battery size, health and temperature.

A large well depleted healthy battery, in a vehicle whose voltage regulator decides to hold voltage in the mid to high 14's for 15+ minutes, might put the alternator up in the 220f range, at idle.

But few vehicles allow this voltage for such durations, even if the battery is well discharged and would benefit from it.

Low temperature long term battery charging/maintaining, ideally, has a charger with a temperature sensor, which will raise the maintenance/float voltage.

My dad bought a Noco Genius 1 for ~ 25$. It has a temp sensor inside the charger itself.
At 75F , I observed its behavior with voltmeter and ammeter.
It is a 1 amp charger until battery voltage reaches 13.65 or so, then a 0.5 amp charger until battery voltage reaches ~13.9, then a 0.2 amp charger until battery voltage reaches 14.7v, then it shuts off.

It kicks back on with 0.2 amps available once battery voltage dropped ( from parasitic loads and or self discharge) to 12.69v, and will stay on until battery voltage reaches 14.1, at which point it shuts off again and waits until battery voltage drops to 12.69.

In my opinion this will get a healthy battery to fully charged or very nearly so, and allow it to self discharge to ~99.5% before kicking back on.
More than good enough for most vehicles.

These observations of the NOCO genius 1 algorithm, were made with a small AGM battery and the Noco in AGM mode. Kind of an accellerated test with an artificial load applied, reducing battery voltage to that 12.69v. Behavior on a larger more discharged battery could be different.

If you don't need to go anywhere, don't start it at all. Put the battery on a maintainer now and then.

My SRT sits in the garage from November to April. I never start the engine. I just hook it up to a maintainer every few weeks for top off.

Agreed.

Unkess sitting for a VERY long time, (say, > 6 or 12 months), where it becomes useful to run the AC to circulate oil and rejuvenate seals, starting does nothing good. Combustion byproducts end up in the oil, and warming up excessively not under load is slow and inefficient.

I agree to keep it on a maintainer and let it be.

Back