What fire extinguishers do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I happened upon a type A and K, kitchen optimized extinguisher on Amazon. It made me figure I should assess the fire extinguisher set we have in our home.

I've always known that ABC type extinguishers are kind of nasty - they make a big mess that can be tough to clean up. Of course, they're cheap and reasonably capable, and the mess sure beats the alternative.

I also don't have any extinguisher in my garage. Big electrical fires are not a real risk here, IMO, but say I was working on a car and got something burning - don't want to make a huge mess in a car, so thinking halotron or CO2.

I'm thinking 10-15# ABC dry type at the bottom of the basement stairs, an A-K type 5# in the kitchen in a cabinet, then a smaller couple (halotron, co2 or abc) upstairs and in the walk-up attic, finished section.

In the garage, where I do have access to water, I was thinking CO2 or halotron, and then perhaps purple k if the threat justifies (stored fuel).

Maybe that's overkill, but I sort of doubt you can have overkill in these situations. The main thing is that quality, refillable extinguishers are around $100 each so it becomes a decent investment. But my little abc is just not a smart way to operate.

I'd lie accessible options and more of them.

I'm thinking the A-K type extinguisher may be the best choice for all over. Reality in a home is type A is most important, other than the kitchen. I'm guessing that the kitchen is the highest risk area, though we really don't cook with a lot of grease, and never fry stuff in oils. The risk profile everywhere else seems pretty benign unless a piece of consumer electronics starts on fire... But if something (say, a laptop) starts on fire, it's not the electronics that's a concern in the home, it's the sheets and curtains and wood furniture, right??

I have the following inside the house. All are 10# ABC extinguishers.

1 just inside the door of the utility room.
1 just inside the door of the laundry room. This is close enough to cover the wine cellar as well as the lower level (wife's) office, .
1 just inside the closet door of the lower level (wife's) office. This is close enough so it covers the family room, workout room and bar area.
1 just inside the main level hall closet in the guest wing. This one is close enough so that it covers all of the guest/spare bedrooms and baths.
1 just outside the kitchen pedestrian door to the garage. It covers the kitchen and the garage.
1 in the main floor (my) office that also covers the master wing of the house.
3 in the shop. 1 near the woodworking area, one near my main workbench and one near the lift where I work on vehicles.

I have 1-5# extinguisher attached to the tractor that I bush hog the field with and 1-5# extinguisher in the cabinet just off to the side of the grill on the main level outdoor patio.

We just have a 10lb ABC near the woodstove and another near the kitchen. I've thought about putting one on the tractor, but haven't bothered as its newish, in good shape, and insured. I guess I could light a grass fire with the brush hog and a rock, but I don't tend to mow in early spring when that's more of a concern. I should get one for the shed but I tend to do most of my fire causing activities outside, like heavy cutting with the angle grinder.

One 5 pounder under the sink. Six ten pounders all over the property, shop, sheds, etc.

And a 5 pounder in every service vehicle.

One is a Kidde, the other is another brand, I will have to post back. I was looking at it just last night.

Could be a Class A-B-C I will look as well.

Small ones

""Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

That was my first thought after reading your posts; heavy on theory and research, light on real-world applicability.

As a firefighter myself, I'll offer a few brief thoughts...

Your ability to effectively suppress a fire in any modern residential structure before the atmosphere goes IDLH (and you're forced out, or drop dead) is extraordinarily limited.

Additionally, your ability to have the mental acuity (let alone your family) is such a situation to remember what extinguisher is where, and which one is appropriate is nothing something I'd stake their life on.

Should the fire be incipient, I'm grabbing a pressurized water extinguisher 9.8 times out of 10 (front line apparatus carry dry chem, Co2, and PW...no class K, Halotron, etc.). As the name would imply, this is filled with nothing other than tap water and a small percentage of foam. Should it have grown past this stage, I'm pulling a 1.75" line that's flowing the same thing.

Your access to water in the garage is false security. Any firefighter can tell you that the hose I just mentioned (125 gallons per minute of water/foam) seems like you're playing with a kids toy up against a significant fire. A garden hose (approx. 10 GPM of just water) isn't going to do much of anything.

A PW with foam (http://www.coldfire.biz/) is very effective, and quite versatile.

GTvSrb4.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
""Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

That was my first thought after reading your posts; heavy on theory and research, light on real-world applicability.

As a firefighter myself, I'll offer a few brief thoughts...

Your ability to effectively suppress a fire in any modern residential structure before the atmosphere goes IDLH (and you're forced out, or drop dead) is extraordinarily limited.

Additionally, your ability to have the mental acuity (let alone your family) is such a situation to remember what extinguisher is where, and which one is appropriate is nothing something I'd stake their life on.

Should the fire be incipient, I'm grabbing a pressurized water extinguisher 9.8 times out of 10 (front line apparatus carry dry chem, Co2, and PW...no class K, Halotron, etc.). As the name would imply, this is filled with nothing other than tap water and a small percentage of foam. Should it have grown past this stage, I'm pulling a 1.75" line that's flowing the same thing.

Your access to water in the garage is false security. Any firefighter can tell you that the hose I just mentioned (125 gallons per minute of water/foam) seems like you're playing with a kids toy up against a significant fire. A garden hose (approx. 10 GPM of just water) isn't going to do much of anything.

A PW with foam (http://www.coldfire.biz/) is very effective, and quite versatile.

Thanks. So then are you saying I really want a pressurized water unit and not even an A-K wet chemical? What if I have a kitchen fire? Isn't the wet chemical cleaner than dry? You're not spraying PW on a pan flash, are you??

For the garage, say im tinkering and get a fire or runaway in a vehicle. I want something besides dry chemical, no?? CO2??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back