What do you have your heater thermostat set at ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a programmable thermostat. Have some weird heat zones in my house, though. Doesn't matter what I have the thermostat to, the bedroom gets heated to 80.

Work day hours - 55
Week after work hours - 65
Overnight - 55
Weekend day hours 60

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
At the moment, it's set to something like 63, but that's low enough to not kick on yet (daily temps range from about 64-70). Once it gets a little colder, I'll set it to 65 or 66. My wife will probably bump that up to 68 or so.

In chicago??

Im 2hours north of you and its in the 30's today.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
63 and 66 ?!!? I need to man up and lower mine down then.

My mother jokes that she raised an Eskimo. I like it cool, my wife not so much. We usually keep it cooler at night, then she kicks it up during the day, usually a little above its programmed temp. Just depends on how she feels and also if we have company.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Winter program is 63 at night, 68 during the day. That may change because of the recovery. But the heat "seems" to cycle less. The bill will tell me.

Yep, the recovery eats up a lot of the "savings" from setting back the thermostat. Gotta get all the inside mass back up to temperature when the setpoint goes back up, so the furnace will run longer and more often until the inside mass gets back to temperature.

I don't set back anymore, just keep it at 70F. There is a small savings from less inside vs outside delta-T overnight from setting back, but I'd rather be comfortable.

66 for times when we are in the house, 58 daytime when we are not there, and 62 at night.

And gas prices are not nearly high at the present time. February of 2014 was the last time it was higher than normal, and prior to that the real spikes were in 2005 and 2008. The Shale gas revolution made a huge change in gas prices shortly thereafter.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have a programmable thermostat. Have some weird heat zones in my house, though. Doesn't matter what I have the thermostat to, the bedroom gets heated to 80.

Sounds like you need to choke down the volume of airflow going to the bedroom.

Programmable thermostat here, I just set it and forget that it is saving money continuously. 5F (2C) is the the optimal swing temperature range.

When everyone is sleeping at night then gone for the day (11pm-12noon) : 67F (19.5C)
When at home during waking hours (12noon-11pm): 72F (21.5C)

Last edited:
I don't like to be cold so we have our house set to 72 in the winter. Even that feels a bit chilly to me, I find during the winter months that I never really feel comfortable at all, my fingers and toes are always a bit chilly all the time.

We have Thermal Radiator Valves as well as a Wifi/programmable Thermostat in the living room.
20C awake, 16.5C asleep downstairs via thermostat. Radiators set to 18C upstairs all the time.

68 although we run electric heaters also. Added alot of insulation in the attic this summer and starting to add storm windows even though have double pane windows, a 5 degree difference between the two so far. Big difference in how the house feels.

74° all year round. I heat with wood, so we are usually at 76°+ in the winter. Walking around in shorts and a T-shirt.. I work too hard to be uncomfortable in my own home !

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
68F when we are home and awake. 65F when we are not home or overnight. Wife is not a big fan of those settings. My gas bill probably goes up $30-$40/mth per degree higher than those settings.

Id be curious to know if just leaving your heat at 68 all the time would likely not cost you much more. I suppose it would be hard to do a test that would be able to match the same weather from a month to find out.

I'm not curious. It's 68 for about four and a half hours at night and one and a half hours in the morning. I can't imagine eighteen hours of 65F and six at 68F would cost the same as twenty-four at 68F.

On sunny days the furnace probably doesn't even run because I have the blinds up too.

During the winter I try to maintain 70F. Higher feels too warm. Anything below 65F feels too cool. We have no fixed setting for the A/C. We use it only as needed, and for the entire summer it was only in use for 18.5 days. We can stand 89F if it's dry, but humid w/82F is uncomfortable.
We usually get a very good breeze here and the ceiling fans get a lot of use. When I have to use the A/C, I usually start at 74F but will adjust to 79F after it gets comfortable.

Winter the thermostat is set on 63*, running an old Weil Mclain oil boiler and it can get expensive. Fuel the other day was $2.15/gallon, so I keep it set lower. I don't mind throwing on a flannel in the house.

Electric is cheap in these parts; id rather cool than heat the house. Just got the chimney cleaned and ok'd to burn wood, so probably going to use it more often when I'm actually home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back