What do you have your heater thermostat set at ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter program is 63 at night, 68 during the day. That may change because of the recovery. But the heat "seems" to cycle less. The bill will tell me.

68F here up to 71...wont go lower than since I have a 1 year old. If keeping heat very low ie. 63 F or less, you need to keep an eye on your humidity levels. It can get very damp and cause other issues like mold and breathing issues. Thats what happened in the apartment I lived in previously. I think 68 is a good balance of comfort and energy savings. If still cold its not hard to grab a sweater.

I just replaced my entire system (A/C and Furnace) and have not had to use the furnace yet. The electric bill dropped nearly $100 so I may see a ROI in the short term. Because "I" do not have the insulation I once did, I tend to keep the furnace set at about 68°F unless it becomes really cold outside--a rarity in Houston.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
68F when we are home and awake. 65F when we are not home or overnight. Wife is not a big fan of those settings. My gas bill probably goes up $30-$40/mth per degree higher than those settings.

Id be curious to know if just leaving your heat at 68 all the time would likely not cost you much more. I suppose it would be hard to do a test that would be able to match the same weather from a month to find out.

60degF during the day and 62-64 from 4pm-10pm then back to 60 overnight; Anything more goes out the roof when it's below freezing.

Log cabin with no insulation. Just 2x6 t&g roofing board with skin plywood then 1" corning pink foam board and EPDM rubber.
I guess 8-14" Wide soft pine logs provides SOME insulation. Inside walls are raw peeled bark logs - of course
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
No heating, no cooling in our house. More clothes, less clothes, windows open and close to regulate temps.

Sure wish I had that climate!!

Heat set to 66(19°C) during the day, 63(17°C) at night. In summer, it depends on the humidity whether the AC comes on or not...

Since January first of this year, we've only run the AC for two days since we had a pretty mild summer. When we run it, the thermostat is set to 76°. We also have ceiling fans in every room. Our home is well insulated so our heat stays at 66°. We also go the sweater route if needed.

Heat on the weekend is set at 68F during the day and 63F at night. During the week same temp at night but 63F during the day and 68F when my wife comes home from work. Summer time the sir is set at 78F during the day and 73F at night.

At the moment, it's set to something like 63, but that's low enough to not kick on yet (daily temps range from about 64-70). Once it gets a little colder, I'll set it to 65 or 66. My wife will probably bump that up to 68 or so.

A/C is still on at 73. Gets down to 70-71 overnight in the house by the morning. Cold!
grin2.gif
I'll turn the heat on in a couple weeks to 72-73. But I usually have to click it over to A/C in the morning.

It is a different kind of cold here though. My brother used to live in Montana, he says it feels way colder here at 40 degrees outside compared to up North. Up there that's long sleeve shirt weather. Here it's big jacket weather. I think it's the humidity or something.

Also have a family friend who has lived 50/50 in Alaska for 30 years and says it feels a lot colder here unless it's obviously below 0 there.

Thermostat is set at 67-68F in the winter. The wife and kids would like it higher, but anymore and I'm uncomfortably hot and the gas bill would be higher than normal.

OTOH, I dunno how you guys function at 60-63? Unless you're really hustling, working on something, that's cold! Sure you can bundle up, but that's only good if you're sitting still. You can't stay in constant motion. I don't mind 62 for sleeping though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
No heating, no cooling in our house. More clothes, less clothes, windows open and close to regulate temps.

Wow. Is the weather that temperate or are you just tough? Sounds like perfect weather.

Here in the PNW, 68 during the day in the winter/rainy season. 60 at night. In the six weeks of summer maybe a touch of heat in the first of the morning but 60 the rest of the day and night.

80-85 deg summer. AC might be on 10-15X all year.

60-65 winter. And this is the highest we've had it in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back