What do people do with these cars? 92k in 295 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Linc-Merc dealer had a 2010 Mercury Milan on the lot with 91,630 (ninety-one thousand, six hundred thirty) miles on it.

It was sold new on 11/18/09, and was traded back in, on 9/9/10, with 91,630 miles on the odometer.

That's 91,630 miles in 9 months and 3 weeks (295 days).

310 miles per day, every single day. At a steady 65 miles an hour, that's nearly 5 hours on the road, seven days a week for nine months and three weeks.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=3MEHM0HA4AR625070&partner=DON_0

Originally Posted By: dparm
That is a head scratcher. Repeated trips across the country?

I don't know. But I'd sure like to buy the guy a cup of coffee and ask him a few questions.

But then again, he probably can't stay in one place that long.

not much on the oil changes in carfax. hope he really got more than that!! id look under the cap for sludge

It would be a lot cheaper to rent a car with unlimited miles when racking up the miles like that.

I just told Budget that I wanted a full sized, four door car (which should be something like the new Taurus) starting on this Saturday, for 295 days.

Total cost with tax was $6278.00

Plus, no maintenance costs whatsoever. No oil changes, no new tires, nothing but gas.

Rate ( USD )
5,610.90 car
0.00 options
667.73 taxes & fees
$ 6,278.63 TOTAL

295 day 00 hour rental unlimited free miles 60 day minimum rental required

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It would be a lot cheaper to rent a car with unlimited miles when racking up the miles like that.

I just told Budget that I wanted a full sized, four door car (which should be something like the new Taurus) starting on this Saturday, for 295 days.

Total cost with tax was $6278.00

Plus, no maintenance costs whatsoever. No oil changes, no new tires, nothing but gas.

295 day 00 hour rental unlimited free miles 60 day minimum rental required

Heck they might even give you a brand new rental every 20k miles (two months at that rate) or so.

I'm not sure that's true, given the tax write-offs of leasing/buying and the fact that the loss they would take when selling could very well be less than the cost of the rental.

I drove all over Ireland in a rental in a 3 week period - they couldn't believe all the Kilometers!
grin.gif

Special courier services will do that easily, somedays are 600 miles, its easy to do. Or,,,running drugs out here is a biggie too, legal and illegal, why do u think the DEO is setting in the medians of interstates? Laredo and ElPaso are big drug outlets for that kind of thing. Many of us pass thru all those checkpoints, its best not to haul drugs,,I dont .

...hmmm...A Scarlet Johanssen look-alike secretary and a decent salary will get me on the road that often and for that long, NO PROBLEMO! Nuff said!!!
(Did you see Ironman II? Scarlet Johanssen looks i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e, in that movie!!! No wonder old Mr. Stark-Downey Jr. said "I want one"!!!) Oh, and my '04 350Z only has 28,700+k on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Special courier services will do that easily, somedays are 600 miles, its easy to do. Or,,,running drugs out here is a biggie too, legal and illegal, why do u think the DEO is setting in the medians of interstates? Laredo and ElPaso are big drug outlets for that kind of thing. Many of us pass thru all those checkpoints, its best not to haul drugs,,I dont .

Would be interesting to have a drug sniffing dog give it a whiff.

For 19 years my use profile was a lot like this guys. I averaged about 80k per year for those 19 years. The only solution I found was to run three or four cars at a time. I would rotate them every day and try to keep the annual mileage under 20,000 miles. I usually kept one newer car and two or three reliable but older used cars.

At first glance it may appear to be an upside down nightmare at trade time, but in reality, after tax deductions it worked out pretty well for me. One word...ITEMIZE. Back then the standard mileage deduction was about 34 cents per mile, that adds up very quickly when you are putting on 80k a year.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
For 19 years my use profile was a lot like this guys. I averaged about 80k per year for those 19 years.

May I ask what you were doing to accomplish this, and where all were you going?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I drove all over Ireland in a rental in a 3 week period - they couldn't believe all the Kilometers!
grin.gif

Back in my younger days, a manager at Enterprise gave me a brand spankin' new Monte Carlo as a rental. Still had the clear plastic on the seats, the sticker in the window, and 80 miles on the odometer.

When I turned it in three days later, it had 1,500 miles on it. They about passed out when they read the odometer.

I went places where I simply wanted to go... Lambert's in Sikeston, Mo for lunch, over into northern Indiana to pick up a nightstand at the shop of an Amish furniture maker, visit a friend in Chicago... And since it was nearly all interstate miles, it got around 30 miles to the gallon.

My uncle puts about 50-55k miles on his work truck every year. His range of driving is limited to around central Florida. Some of it is off road too. I suppose if he had to go around the entire state or southeast, he'd be up there around 100k miles in a year.

Just FYI, it's a Nissan 4wd nismo.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
For 19 years my use profile was a lot like this guys. I averaged about 80k per year for those 19 years.

May I ask what you were doing to accomplish this, and where all were you going?

At the time I was doing contracted inspection work for a large real estate development company with projects going on in almost every county in SE Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back