What do home mechanics charge per hour?

I quit working on anyone's cars years ago, do people a favor by hardly charging them and it usually ends up a royal mess. stuff like "well it didn't make that noise before you touched it" also "it started just fine before you did the front brakes" ...i got fed up with it so it's my own stuff now and anyone else can find a garage or dealership.

If you really insist on charging (which I advise against), I think a fair price would be your hourly wage at work, but billed at flat-rate warranty time.
That's absurd. Itinerant work is unreliable and there's so much setup/ teardown time. 2.5-3x your hourly pay is more reasonable. Like others in the thread wrote, charge by the job, 50-60% of a dealer's labor fee and no parts markup.

I could not fathom charging friends or neighbors (or family) for helping them with their cars. They are friends and neighbors. I believe in sharing my time, talent, and treasure with others as I'm able. Been doing this for 20+ years without issue. And they will almost always reciprocate with their specific talents. I've been on the receiving end of moving assistance, fence and deck building, and even legal advice.
I generally have three rules when helping with someone's car maintenance or repair: 1) they will help out as able, even if it's holding a shop light or fetching tools; 2) I usually ask them to take away their old parts, used oil etc., and 3) cold beer is never refused.

Thats what we drink in my house. Our water is rated excellent in taste and quality

Ditto. The water in Corpus Christi is rated as "superior." Crystal-clear and no weird taste/smell. Even our ice cubes freeze almost clear.

I grew up in the Milwaukee area and the Lake Michigan water was similarly good. The stuff from Southern Illinois (where we just left) is another story altogether...

That's absurd. Itinerant work is unreliable and there's so much setup/ teardown time. 2.5-3x your hourly pay is more reasonable. Like others in the thread wrote, charge by the job, 50-60% of a dealer's labor fee and no parts markup.
I assume they’re coming to you and you’re not going to them?

Regardless, the work is being performed by someone who isn’t a registered business, lacks liability insurance and arguably, isn’t a professional. So, the price needs to be reflective of that in order for the add risk to be worthwhile for the vehicle owner. At least to me, that is what feels ethical.

One’s hourly dayjob rate multiplied by the flatrate warranty time for a job should be a fair number in most situations. Examples I have in mind are 0.5 hrs for oil change/rotate or 3 hrs for a Honda V6 timing belt kit.
Most people helping friends, family and neighbors are not trying to make an actual income from this anyway - the goal is to earn beer money or a hair more.

Never charged or charge my neighbors or friends. It all works out in the end. I do maintain my priests car at the church and I supply all the parts and labor including all his oil changes for free.

Never charged or charge my neighbors or friends. It all works out in the end. I do maintain my priests car at the church and I supply all the parts and labor including all his oil changes for free.

Couldn't have said it any better. This is how we (used to, anyway) build neighborhoods and communities of people who take care of one another.

Couldn't have said it any better. This is how we (used to, anyway) build neighborhoods and communities of people who take care of one another.

I agree, unfortunately some folks take advantage of shade tree mechanic.

I only work on my family cars.

My wife and I still do lots of bartering, both labor and goods. We also give ourselves unconditionally. I.E., we make maple syrup, cider, and pick bushels of produce, usually giving half of it away because we enjoy it. We volunteer and assist those going through rough times, health issues, etc..

However, now approaching our late 60's, either we have changed (we have) or the nature of our relationships with others have changed. With wisdom, one learns to identify those that truly have gratitude for what you share with them vs. those that are not thankful. A number of people will be fair weather friends, only engaging you when they want something from you . This group grows, as word gets out that you do things for free. In old age, your tolerance for being used declines and you tire of enabling the ungrateful. We still give of ourselves a lot, but we are just more selective.

Those that help lots of others freely, I applaud your enthusiasm, but your time will come.

I did a bunch of welding on a neighbors tractor recently, no charge. A few days later his wife dropped came by and dropped off 2 boxes of 7mm rem magnum shells, and some steaks.

I stopped doing stereo work ages ago and the only people's cars I will work on these days are either family or super close friends that don't get charged. Anything else I'll just politely turn away or refer them to someone else.

Back