What did your last front tire cost? OUCH

:rolleyes:

You know if you spent less time posting ill-conceived 'advice', you could probably earn enough money to afford motorcycle tires for your motorcycle...
When you say "ill conceived", do you mean advice attained through trial and error?

I suppose you could run very low pressures in a CT to get a decent contact patch, but narrow sticky CT with flexible sidewalls don't really exist anymore. I'm sure a true decent grippy MT will out perform any CT you can buy today in 15" or 16".
Is this coming from experience, or is it based on theory?

Is this coming from experience, or is it based on theory?

Theory is a modern word used by scientist to describe successful
understandings of the operations of nature like quantum theory...
relativity theory, evolution theory... that’s the word used to describe
stuff that works... if you have an idea about something that has not
been tested like CT = MT that is an hypothesis...

Theory is a modern word used by scientist to describe successful
understandings of the operations of nature like quantum theory...
relativity theory, evolution theory... that’s the word used to describe
stuff that works... if you have an idea about something that has not
been tested like CT = MT that is an hypothesis...
It's tested every day by thousands of riders...do you live under a rock?

I'd like to see an instrumented test, on a skid pad or track with professional riders, and see what the results actually are? I don't really care either way, but usually when you get experts in their field designing and building something, they tend to produce a good solution.
I suppose on some bikes that can't lean over to far without dragging the pegs, maybe it hardly matters what the tire construction is like?
It seems since lots of folks are riding with car tires, they probably are "good enough", but I would think a dedicated motorcycle tire would out perform a car tire when the bike is leaned over significantly, in terms of grip and control, especially ones with dual or triple compounds.

I'd like to see an instrumented test, on a skid pad or track with professional riders, and see what the results actually are? I don't really care either way, but usually when you get experts in their field designing and building something, they tend to produce a good solution.
I suppose on some bikes that can't lean over to far without dragging the pegs, maybe it hardly matters what the tire construction is like?
It seems since lots of folks are riding with car tires, they probably are "good enough", but I would think a dedicated motorcycle tire would out perform a car tire when the bike is leaned over significantly, in terms of grip and control, especially ones with dual or triple compounds.
I would like to see such a test too, not conducted by anyone who is in any way affiliated with the motorcycle tire industry, an actual independent test. I think the results would be surprising to many...

To the thousands of Darkside influencers who argue in favor of CT over MT... don't forget to add a disclaimer to keep form being sued...

DarksideDisclaimer1.JPG

Last edited:
Be honest. Using isn’t testing. When a drunk imbibes in canned heat he isn’t testing its safety. If he gets a buzz, which he surely will, and lives to see another day he’ll swear it’s great. Well more than tens of thousands of folks do this regularly. I’m not experimenting with it to prove them wrong.

Be honest. Using isn’t testing. When a drunk imbibes in canned heat he isn’t testing its safety. If he gets a buzz, which he surely will, and lives to see another day he’ll swear it’s great. Well more than tens of thousands of folks do this regularly. I’m not experimenting with it to prove them wrong.
It's not the same as lab testing, but it does make its use more commonly known. Considering how many people run car tires now days, if they were failing, or even if they made the bike handle poorly, we'd know about it...

It's not the same as lab testing, but it does make its use more commonly known. Considering how many people run car tires now days, if they were failing, or even if they made the bike handle poorly, we'd know about it...
We DO know about it. Even darksiders admit a car tire makes the bike handle “differently.” Correct me if I’m wrong, but nobody uses a car tire on the front, right? Again I ask, if all tires were free, would you still honestly use a car tire? Why don’t sport bike riders use car tires? If car tires were genuinely higher performing, why don’t racers use them?
Look, I’ve seen a lot of people get away with a lot of foolish behavior. That doesn’t, ipso facto, make it a smart thing to do. You’re not getting or responding to my analogies. You can ride around with exposed handlebars, unplugged, without wearing gloves. You can drink sterno, put a penny in a burned out fuse, rub DMSO in your sore muscles and all kinds of other nonsense but that doesn’t make it a best practice. You remind me of all the people who argued that smoking was safe in the 60s. I know I’ll never convince you otherwise, because for some reason it’s like a religion for you. I genuinely hope you get away with it. But if you don’t, I know the internet isn’t going to sit up and notice. And you’ll never admit it was a mistake either.

We DO know about it. Even darksiders admit a car tire makes the bike handle “differently.” Correct me if I’m wrong, but nobody uses a car tire on the front, right? Again I ask, if all tires were free, would you still honestly use a car tire? Why don’t sport bike riders use car tires? If car tires were genuinely higher performing, why don’t racers use them?
Look, I’ve seen a lot of people get away with a lot of foolish behavior. That doesn’t, ipso facto, make it a smart thing to do. You’re not getting or responding to my analogies. You can ride around with exposed handlebars, unplugged, without wearing gloves. You can drink sterno, put a penny in a burned out fuse, rub DMSO in your sore muscles and all kinds of other nonsense but that doesn’t make it a best practice. You remind me of all the people who argued that smoking was safe in the 60s. I know I’ll never convince you otherwise, because for some reason it’s like a religion for you. I genuinely hope you get away with it. But if you don’t, I know the internet isn’t going to sit up and notice. And you’ll never admit it was a mistake either.
And no one will ever convince you otherwise, not even this guy...

Grampi, just let it go.

You are talking to a brick wall.
You will not change their minds, they are just too smart and know better than you.

Funny I said on the first page I was not going to say more about my last tire purchase, because I know darkside discussions never go well, and we have pages showing that here.

But what do I know, I am one of those idiots myself:

IMG_9468.jpg

Had a trip to Arkansas last week and apparently it is amazing I did not blow up and die (although my front tire was trashed and barely got me home).
IMG_9536.jpg

Sides of tires were smooth when I left Russleville, but still intact.
By the time I got home 500 miles later, it looked like this. It kinda freaked me out I was riding on a tire this bad.

So I can now answer the OP question, my last front tire cost me $180 (Bridgestone Battleax BT46) and $40 for mount and balance (I will bring them the wheel).

My last ouch cost me a little over $1000. But it was a Subaru Forester, and I had to buy 4 CC2 tires to keep the drivetrain working right.

Grampi, just let it go.

You are talking to a brick wall.
You will not change their minds, they are just too smart and know better than you.

Funny I said on the first page I was not going to say more about my last tire purchase, because I know darkside discussions never go well, and we have pages showing that here.

But what do I know, I am one of those idiots myself:

View attachment 182435

Had a trip to Arkansas last week and apparently it is amazing I did not blow up and die (although my front tire was trashed and barely got me home).
View attachment 182436
Sides of tires were smooth when I left Russleville, but still intact.
By the time I got home 500 miles later, it looked like this. It kinda freaked me out I was riding on a tire this bad.

So I can now answer the OP question, my last front tire cost me $180 (Bridgestone Battleax BT46) and $40 for mount and balance (I will bring them the wheel).
They act like I'm claiming CTs are better for all motorcycle types and applications. I've never made that claim, or anything close to that. My contention is that CTs are a good choice for big heavy touring bikes, like yours and mine, that eat MTs. Regardless of what they think, people like us KNOW they work...

Back