What did Putin hope to accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
We probably do the same thing.

We do. We launch fighter jets from Alaska air bases all the time and have them cross over into Russian airspace to gauge their defenses. As soon as the Russian MiGs are in the air, our boys come back. It's a game of cat and mouse. All in good fun.
grin2.gif

What were the blackbirds and U2s up to ?

The Blackbirds were shot at frequently
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The US is NO better than Russia, and in many ways is now far worse.

So, if you or a member of your family becomes a POW, the rest of the family members will sent to Siberian concentration camps? And you have barrier troops in your rear that will immediately shoot you, if you pull back?

I refer to Supreme Commander's Order 272 during WWII.

You really know how the world works. some guys were just lucky to be born into this great nation..

The USA is no longer a "nation", now, it's just merely a country, it stopped being great about a century ago.

You know darn well that Russia was taken over by the same entities that have taken over control of the USA....only over the past decade have those destructive entities been removed from power and that has improved the situation from ordinary Russians, that is also the reason why Russia has been repeatedly attacked by globalist controlled countries and the financial arm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Navy officer in charge of ship doesn't have the balls to shoot at those aircraft for fear A Bozo would instantly end his long Navy career....
smirk.gif

Just like those sailors held by Iran, they had zero back up by this terrible president. US Navy made to look like children given a 'time out'.

No Navy officer would risk their career without permission from a bozo in charge. All senior military officers are puppets..... they can't do anything without the big boss saying it's OK. Not even firing warning AAA to let Russian aircraft they are not gonna play games.

Pretty strong words form an obvious right winger whose beloved prez Bush started a completely unnecessary war. Yeah, let's start ANOTHER war and get our military people maimed and killed for absolutely nothing again.

If is so great in Russia. Move there maybe you could have your very own Roy Jones Jr. moment with his highness also. You could do us all a favor and start you own blog, stay there and report daily how the land of milk of honey and the ordinary citizens are doing.

You could also answer my first question to you on this thread.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Tempest in a tea pot.

The two sides have been tweaking each other's nose since before I was born.

And the beat goes on...

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winnar!
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

In what way do you mean this? I assume you are not talking ideologically or historically?

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winnar!
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

In what way do you mean this? I assume you are not talking ideologically or historically?

A laughable comparison no matter how you look at it.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Remember the Russin hero of the Cuban Missile Crisis. He was the man who had the courage to not retaliate when the U.S. navy dropped handgrenades on his submarine. The sub commander and many others on the sub thought that the explosions they heard were real depth charges, but fortunately, the Russian Admiral was on board the Sub and he stopped the subs commander from retaliating with a nuclear response.

Google Cuban Missile Crisis the man who saved the world.

It takes more courage to not escalate the situation.

+2

Also look up Stanislav Petrov, a bunch more we know about, and probably a bunch more we don't.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai
They don't need facts. It is much easier to live without facts. And the fact is that American controlled Ukraine did not release flight dispatchers talks with the Malaysian airplane. Another fact - look at the flightradar24. How many airplanes fly over Ukraine now? None. All the flights now are over Russia. Why? Explain this yourself.

You're living in a fantasy land with this and your prior posts on this topic.

Keep believing what Putin tells you, Comrade, and you'll be OK.

I am not a comrade to you. I can say exactly the same that you believe in what your government tells you. My question: why is your government hiding any information about the Malaysian flight? It is suspicious when somebody is hiding information and pointing the finger at someone else.

And another question: why are you panicking so much because the military airplane flew close to the ship? If you are powerful and have some modern secret weapons as some alluded to than you have nothing to fear. Don't worry.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
They don't need facts. It is much easier to live without facts. And the fact is that American controlled Ukraine did not release flight dispatchers talks with the Malaysian airplane. Another fact - look at the flightradar24. How many airplanes fly over Ukraine now? None. All the flights now are over Russia. Why? Explain this yourself.

You're living in a fantasy land with this and your prior posts on this topic.

Keep believing what Putin tells you, Comrade, and you'll be OK.

I am not a comrade to you. I can say exactly the same that you believe in what your government tells you. My question: why is your government hiding any information about the Malaysian flight? It is suspicious when somebody is hiding information and pointing the finger at someone else.

And another question: why are you panicking so much because the military airplane flew close to the ship? If you are powerful and have some modern secret weapons as some alluded to than you have nothing to fear. Don't worry.

All excellent points Ded Mazai. Don't expect any honest discussion with many of these apologists here they will believe ANYTHING
that the US gov't tells them and the controlled mass media that spoon feeds it to them.

However there are many in the USA that understand the "unseen hand" behind the US gov't, global financial interests, and mass media, and how insidious their machinations are. While the current Russian gov't has plenty of short comings they have done some things that have helped to neutralize the cancer that unseen hand has spread.

These things happen. Got some interesting picture's while on active duty in the Navy. Stationed on Spruance class (DD-963) Destroyers and Ticonderoga class (CG-47) Aegis equipped Cruisers. Social media nowadays makes this sort of thing much more known. The CO of the Donald Cook knew what the Ruskies were doing. Near as I can tell, I don't think the ship was at general quarters.

I'm not fan of this administration, but that's the way it is. There is a reason the president is called the commander in chief.

You may not like him or agree, but you do have to follow his orders based on the oath you swore when accepting your commission.

Navy officer in charge of ship doesn't have the balls to shoot at those aircraft for fear A Bozo would instantly end his long Navy career....
smirk.gif

Just like those sailors held by Iran, they had zero back up by this terrible president. US Navy made to look like children given a 'time out'.

No Navy officer would risk their career without permission from a bozo in charge. All senior military officers are puppets..... they can't do anything without the big boss saying it's OK. Not even firing warning AAA to let Russian aircraft they are not gonna play games.

Bad news: morale in the US military is at an all time low and they are treated like Paul Blart in the movie Mall Cop.

Good news: the chief in charge is sending the musical group Village People to perform at military bases to help boost morale and show the world we really mean business
smirk.gif

Senior military officers are puppets with empty nut sack....

Says the "military" guy who won't even support his own country by buying an American car.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Bad news: morale in the US military is at an all time low and they are treated like Paul Blart in the movie Mall Cop.

Good news: the chief in charge is sending the musical group Village People to perform at military bases to help boost morale and show the world we really mean business
smirk.gif

Senior military officers are puppets with empty nut sack....

Says the "military" guy who won't even support his own country by buying an American car.

34.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg
First, there is no way of knowing with 100% certainty what the skipper of that ship might have done. Secondly, it was a HIGHLY provocative action and not a simple game as some have suggested...it was out of the ordinary. And thirdly, I also think it would have been a mistake to have taken one of the aircraft down. Especially a first pass. The foolish part was the continued aggressive passes and provocation. How dumb would it have been if one of those pilots screwed up and hit a mast or crashed into the ship?

There does come a time when games stop and a bully needs to be faced straight on.

When your adversary has nuclear weapons, you gotta give him some leeway.
A couple of low passes over a destroyer is not gonna hurt anything.
Besides that, dumb-[censored] Obama has economic sanctions in place over Russia.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Everyone is by now aware that a couple of Russian Su-24s buzzed an American destroyer in international waters while a Russian helo stood nearby, maybe enjoying a Kodak moment.
Our Secretary of State is on record as having said that the commander of the American ship would have been within his rights to have destroyed the Russian aircraft.
Two questions.
What did Putin hope to accomplish?
Why did the commander of the Donald Cook show so much restraint?
Everyone is well aware that the Cook could have easily splashed the two Sukhois and this would have been justified since they clearly showed hostile intent whether they were carrying underwing missiles of not.
This is a strange incident in my view. No real gain for the Russians and I can't see what the US achieved in showing such great restraint.
What do all of you think of this episode in the continuing saga of Russian provocation of the West?

They are paying back the americans for running fake nuclear bomber assualts over soviet russia in the 1950s...

Now that everyone including me has enjoyed a little heat, let's look at this from another angle.
Putin the politician clearly gains from his provocations of the West since he can then portray himself as the fearless leader of an embattled nation that must defend itself against the allied forces of the evil West.
What does Russia as a nation gain from a neo Cold War?
I think that the answer is pretty obviously nothing.
In the short run, Russia can look like a real player.
In the long run, the declining Russian economy coupled with an ever-tighter sanctions regime and a reinvigorated NATO can only bring disaster for the people of this great nation.
Putin's actions are the moral and practical equivalent of one's shiftless neighbor leasing a new Benz while his children are dressed in rags.

If I was ship commander I give the order to fire warning AAA with the gatling guns to send a friendly message this game has to stop.

Two days later I would be in Washington relieved of my command and forced out of the Navy.... which wouldn't be a bad thing considering the terrible leadership in the White House.

I would rather get kicked out than be a puppet too afraid to order warning shots at Russia aircraft.

OT:
Honda does manufacture vehicles in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back