What cheap, old ATV should I buy?

I realize we're talking CAD values, but holy cow! $2500 and $3K for a 28yr/old Kawasaki bayou or Yamaha kodiak? I'd find another way.
You think that’s bad you should see what ancient Hondas sell for up here. Just the other day a guy in the next town over sold a 92 300 with a busted starter and needing a top end for $3500. It’s obscene. Anything that runs starts at $2500.

Pulling a loaded 3000lb boat may be a little difficult for any ATV. Boostatv.com has a good explanation and compilation on one of the tabs that basically depicts rolling load typically at 1000lbs. The eiger is similar to my Vinson and some reported long term issues of carb flooding due to petcock wear seems to be a common failure. I agree that prices appear quite higher than USA as my ‘05 Vinson semi auto with plow, winch, and brand new 27” zillas with 700miles would probably fetch $3750-$4000 now. If your list was the only choices, I would steer towards the eiger.

Pulling a loaded 3000lb boat may be a little difficult for any ATV. Boostatv.com has a good explanation and compilation on one of the tabs that basically depicts rolling load typically at 1000lbs. The eiger is similar to my Vinson and some reported long term issues of carb flooding due to petcock wear seems to be a common failure. I agree that prices appear quite higher than USA as my ‘05 Vinson semi auto with plow, winch, and brand new 27” zillas with 700miles would probably fetch $3750-$4000 now. If your list was the only choices, I would steer towards the eiger.
I live across from a boat launch so I see the locals launching boats with their ATVs all the time. I’ve been launching mine with my 11hp Ford tractor but I was hoping to sell it and use the ATV. It won’t be pulling any distance just down to the launch and back so I was hoping something with a semi auto could handle that.

I live across from a boat launch so I see the locals launching boats with their ATVs all the time. I’ve been launching mine with my 11hp Ford tractor but I was hoping to sell it and use the ATV. It won’t be pulling any distance just down to the launch and back so I was hoping something with a semi auto could handle that.
Have you seen this article? https://offroadingpro.com/can-an-atv-pull-a-boat-out-of-the-water/

I am sure people are using ATVs with launches but maybe they have newer heavier models and lighter boats. I’m sure a lot of the tow ratings are more safety and mfg liability so thus the modest figures. A big factor is also not really so much hp but the weight of the pull vehicle itself to determine capability. I bet your tractor is not lite weight.

Don’t want to see things break when well exceeding mfg limits.

Have you seen this article? https://offroadingpro.com/can-an-atv-pull-a-boat-out-of-the-water/

I am sure people are using ATVs with launches but maybe they have newer heavier models and lighter boats. I’m sure a lot of the tow ratings are more safety and mfg liability so thus the modest figures. A big factor is also not really so much hp but the weight of the pull vehicle itself to determine capability. I bet your tractor is not lite weight.

Don’t want to see things break when well exceeding mfg limits.
Interesting article. My tractor is probably 1200 pounds. I had considered the weight but I figure in 4x4 locked I’ll have no issues. Its a very gradual and well maintained ramp luckily. As for what the locals are using I’ve seen just about every boat/ATV combo. The one I see most often is a really beat up old quad that is so rough looking I can’t even tell what make it is. Probably an 80s Suzuki. He pulls a fishing boat similar to mine but it’s older and probably has less weight in batteries and motor. I guess if I get stuck the truck is just across the road to recover the whole setup lol.

I bought new, used them for years and other people are still using them. Suzuki, Honda and Canam all good equipment.

Anyone have any experience with Kawasaki Prairie 360s? They have a nice diff lock but they’re belt drive. I’d prefer a semi auto for pulling things around. Are belt drives capable of moving decent weight around?

I’ve had an 05’ Honda Rancher 350 2x4 since new. Are you sure you need 4x4? I’ve only been stuck with mine once in some sticky mud on the edge of a lake. For the most part with good tires I can go anywhere I realistically need it to.

Oh yeah definitely will need a 4x4. Preferably with a locker. 2wd won’t even get me out of the driveway in the winter let alone plow snow or go on ice fishing trips.

I'm a yamaha guy so on the smaller side I would recommend a 250 Timberwolf or a 350 Bruin.

in the middle of the pack a 450 Kodiak is a good working machine and they usually come with locking diffs and they have a low range.

I have a 550 Grizzly myself which I really like but thats probably not in your price range as they are somewhat newer machines and yes used ATV prices are pretty ridiculous right now.

as far as the durability of the Kodiak that I mentioned I co-own one with my parents that is pushing 6500 miles and its never needed any engine work, the only thing major is I had to put a new wet clutch in it last year because it was worn out, but we use it for hauling wood etc so Its definitely a working machine but the engine is very durable and its a very capable machine.

If you can find one that needs minor work its a pretty good deal, I was able to fine another kodiak for less then 2 grand that needed some minor repairs and it came with a plow.

I'm a yamaha guy so on the smaller side I would recommend a 250 Timberwolf or a 350 Bruin.

in the middle of the pack a 450 Kodiak is a good working machine and they usually come with locking diffs and they have a low range.

I have a 550 Grizzly myself which I really like but thats probably not in your price range as they are somewhat newer machines and yes used ATV prices are pretty ridiculous right now.

as far as the durability of the Kodiak that I mentioned I co-own one with my parents that is pushing 6500 miles and its never needed any engine work, the only thing major is I had to put a new wet clutch in it last year because it was worn out, but we use it for hauling wood etc so Its definitely a working machine but the engine is very durable and its a very capable machine.

If you can find one that needs minor work its a pretty good deal, I was able to fine another kodiak for less then 2 grand that needed some minor repairs and it came with a plow.
I see quite a lot of big bears in my price range but every time I go look at one they’re beat to death. So frustrating. I would love a 450 Kodiak but apparently they’re worth their weight in gold these days. I’m a cheap guy so it kills me to overpay for anything lol.

I see quite a lot of big bears in my price range but every time I go look at one they’re beat to death. So frustrating. I would love a 450 Kodiak but apparently they’re worth their weight in gold these days. I’m a cheap guy so it kills me to overpay for anything lol.

yeah its crazy how the worth on certain atv's have gone up in the past couple of years.

I got a pretty good deal on the kodiak I bought even with the minor repairs it needed.

Hardly ever see any Big bears for sale around here, mainly grizzly's and kodiaks.

I've been looking for the sport version of the wolverine 450 but those are pretty rare to find and when I do find one its kinda fair away and pricey.

So far I am pretty happy with my 2000 polaris magnum 500. Mine still needs a pile of little odds and ends since its a high mile/hour unit. What i found is that they are quite simple to work on and so far it has been a sturdy work horse on the acreage.

Most everything is serviceable and other than accessing the valve cover (the fuel tank has to be removed) its simple.

I‘ve noticed most semi auto Honda’s don’t seem to have a low range and have pretty low tow ratings. Even brand new ranchers can only tow 850 or so. Surely this can’t be a better option for pulling trailers than another machine with a proper low range and a significantly higher tow rating like a kodiak or Eiger.

Well my friends I’m happy to report I finally got one last night. An 88 Suzuki 250 4wd with the 3 range gearbox and a locking diff. Paid 1500 Canadian doll hairs for it. The thing is in quite nice shape actually. The guy I bought it off of owned it for nearly 30 years and seems to have kept on top of the maintenance. If it ever stops raining I’ll snap a couple pics.

Back