What causes grease to leak out of grease gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used a number of greases over the years and the only one that has done this in my gun(s) is Valvoline Synpower - I checked Amazon feedback and this complaint common about this particular grease. It leaks the oil out of the vent hole in the plunger end, so leaving the gun nose down keeps it from constantly leaking.

My question is: Is it ok to use this grease? I bought it specifically for wheel bearings, but I'm thinking of getting something else for peace of mind (like if it can separate in the gun, what is it doing in a bearing ?!)...

Thanks

diesel-dan... I'm gonna say no. Reason- i used to use wolfs head grease cuz it was rated for wheel bearings. so thats what i put in my wheel bearings. after replacing the wheel bearings in my 2wd 93 F150 6mos into the wolfs head- less than 10000 miles- i decided the leaking wasn't that great. The 880 isn't rated for high enough temps for disc brakes but that's what I had so that's what i used. 75,000 miles later i just checked them... still good. I know that's not the valvoline you are using, but that's my experience

The higher quality grease will separate a bit, like M1. Just take the pressure off the gun when not in use.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The higher quality grease will separate a bit, like M1.

Really ?

The better the quality the more bleed ?

Or is it only a fact because M1 bleeds ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Really ?

It’s probably just fine in a bearing … but living in Texas I got tired of it leaking from the grease gun inside my recycled laboratory cabinets ie, Formica wood look exterior, white Formica inside … (where are Formica trees grown?)

Hey ~ Maybe Tig could send Turtlevette the thin effluent from M1 grease !

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Grease is just oil mixed with a thickener. They separate over time. Some worse than others.

That pretty much sums it up. In hot weather it can be worse. Some brands, I won't mention names because it isn't worth the flame war that will follow, are worse than others. Not pulling back on the plunger after using the gun can also contribute more to it as well.

+1 don't leave the grease under pressure. I use valvoline syn grease in my travel trailer bearings. I tried mobil 1 grease but it did leak red oil out onto my wheels. I want the oil in my bearings not on the wheels. Valvoline durablend and synpower don't do this.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Jddan
Buy a better grease. mine stays in my $15 gun in the combine cab and leaks not a drop. also stays in my $50 gun. and in the tube. and machinery. If the grease doesn't separate, even a cheap gun wont leak... and your equipment is better protected!

Have a recommendation?

Ive had this happen with Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Valvoline synpower greases.

All seemingly "good" greases.

All seemingly NOT making a mess for use upon use, hot and cold cycles after one another...

Until one day its a huge mess.

I do pull the plunger on mine, BTW... Doesnt help.

I now just wrap in paper and leave in a foil tray. Its not if but when... I dont go through a lot of grease, which doesnt help.

Not thrilled that Citgo wound up with them … but give the devil his due, Mystik is a Houston based company making good products over 90 years … both of the JT6 grease lines have a big following in the agriculture, construction, oilfield, and commercial fisheries communities down south … It’s my “go to” for boat trailer bearings …

Really ?

We are somewhat more advanced here you know.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Grease is just oil mixed with a thickener. They separate over time. Some worse than others.

That pretty much sums it up. In hot weather it can be worse. Some brands, I won't mention names because it isn't worth the flame war that will follow, are worse than others. Not pulling back on the plunger after using the gun can also contribute more to it as well.

+1 don't leave the grease under pressure. I use valvoline syn grease in my travel trailer bearings. I tried mobil 1 grease but it did leak red oil out onto my wheels. I want the oil in my bearings not on the wheels. Valvoline durablend and synpower don't do this.

I did a recent tire rotation on my van and noticed the same thing on my van with Mobil 1 grease. No defective parts or improper installation, I was a bit surprised and disappointed as this has not happened before with Mobil 1 grease to me. It does drip a bit from the gun, with the pressure released. The Amsoil grease I had in there dripped more. Next time I'll use either a Red Line or Schaeffer's product.

Really ?

More advanced than what ?

I introduced the plant to the SHC series of greases for the electric motors (BOV tuned to the application and roller speed) well into the last century.

So I'll repeat...is bleed a sign of good grease only because it's M1 ?
Or do you have evidence that more bleed is the sign of a better quality grease (your statement)

Really ?

More advanced than what ?

I introduced the plant to the SHC series of greases for the electric motors (BOV tuned to the application and roller speed) well into the last century.

So I'll repeat...is bleed a sign of good grease only because it's M1 ?
Or do you have evidence that more bleed is the sign of a better quality grease (your statement)

Shannow, I was just messin with ya. However I didn't say more bleed is better. I said that quality grease does bleed(separate) a "BIT, like M1". Here's something about that.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28761/storing-grease-to-avoid-bleed-separation-

Last edited:
M1 is designed to bleed. Sorry if It messes up everyone’s grease gun. That’s the way it is.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
M1 is designed to bleed. Sorry if It messes up everyone’s grease gun. That’s the way it is.
lol.gif

Just release the pressure in the gun. I worked in machine shops for 35 years and many brands of grease will separate when under pressure. That's the way it is.

I no longer own any vehicles with grease zerks anymore, been about 20 years since my grease gun has been touched. The last vehicle I owned that had zerks was a 79 F150 and I sold that in the late 80's. I wish vehicles still had zerk, because when sealed joints and bearings fail it costs a great deal to replace.

I was actually going to make a post about this subject. My grease gun is leaking Lucas marine grease as well as the bearing buddy hubs on my trailer. Really makes me wonder if there is a better grease out there for my salt water boat trailer application.

Many of you more knowledgeable than I, answered the side of the question of "how to keep it separating in the gun". But my question is: if you didn't, and you had the oil separate, is the grease still OK to use? I'm greasing some trailer bearings today and may just use something else for now...

Thanks!

Answering my own question: I found the Tech Info number for Valvoline and called them. Their answer was to dispose of the remaining grease and put a new tube in. Well I bought 4 tubes at once, so I don't trust the other three either...
mad.gif

I'm going to use that grease for bushings and such on my equipment. I have some Conoco Megaplex XD3 that will work in the trailer bearings for now...

Thanks for you time folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back