What causes and how to photoshop out these round light spots?

These have happened randomly for years and cleaning the lens doesn't help. Is there something in photo editing software that would erase them? No it's not the ghost of a previous owner.

a.jpg

Looks kind of like lens flare.

I don't know how to use PS or any other editing software, however, IMO

It would just be easier to retake the photo unless you're a PS wizard.

These have happened randomly for years and cleaning the lens doesn't help. Is there something in photo editing software that would erase them? No it's not the ghost of a previous owner.

View attachment 173221
What Photo editing software are you using? Photoshop has a tool called the Healing Brush which will take care of many blemishes.

There's also this: https://www.fotor.com/features/photo-restoration/ but IK've not tried it yet.

I'd be happy to help you ... just ask if you want some instruction.

I don't think it's dust ON the lens, it is dust within the lens elements. So no amount of cleaning will prevent it unless you can take the lens apart.

I use a little P&S when I go to the junkyard and it gets the same spots in the pictures. I am sure it gets all kinds of dust in it because I carry it in my coat pocket.

You can go on r/photshoprequest and ask someone to photoshop it out, as well as other things

I don't think it's dust ON the lens, it is dust within the lens elements. So no amount of cleaning will prevent it unless you can take the lens apart.

I use a little P&S when I go to the junkyard and it gets the same spots in the pictures. I am sure it gets all kinds of dust in it because I carry it in my coat pocket.
No, it's not dust with the lens.

What time of day did you take those pictures? High noon makes harsh shadows. Shooting into the sun makes flare. Use your hand to shadow the lens from the sun.

Look at where the A-pillar meets the windshield, it's super fuzzy, looks like a 20 year old $20 digital camera. It looks for all the world like a camera where some six year old kid put fingerprints all over the lens. You've also got exposure problems with the dark interior and white paint, would be better to set some EV compensation of -1 or -2 to get the paint under control, then you can use "curves" to pull the dark interior a little brighter.

Looked up the Elph, it's a nice camera, maybe yours is a dud. There are plenty of older DSLRs on ebay that still make good advertising pictures, and you can get lens hoods etc that screw into the filter threads to handle flare.

It's got all kinds of functions but they may go by a different name,

View attachment 173231

View attachment 173232

It's just hard to correct without it looking like there was a spot there.
I would try the scratch elimination feature, but not knowing exactly how it works, it may/may not be ideal for the correction. The Healing Brush in the Photoshop products has a content aware feature and most repairs are seamless, adjusting to the information of the area surrounding the damage.

From Sony:

What are "orbs"?​

If specs of dust particles are floating in the air when you're taking a picture, they can be illuminated by the light of the flash and sometimes appear in the image as white, round glare spots, also known as "orbs". This symptom tends to occur in low-light environments when using a compact digital camera because of the proximity of the flash to the lens assembly. It is not a malfunction.

From Wikipedia:

In photography, backscatter (also called near-camera reflection[1]) is an optical phenomenon resulting in typically circular artifacts on an image, due to the camera's flash being reflected from unfocused motes of dust, water droplets, or other particles in the air or water. It is especially common with modern compact and ultra-compact digital cameras.[2][3]

A hypothetical underwater instance with two conditions in which circular photographic artifacts are likely (A) and unlikely (B), depending on whether the aspect of particles facing the lens are directly reflect the flash, as shown. Elements are not shown to scale.
Caused by the backscatter of light by unfocused particles, these artifacts are also sometimes called orbs, referring to a common paranormal claim. Some appear with trails, suggesting motion.[4]

Back