What brand spark plug wires do you use or hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The choices are plentiful. I used to use Borg Warner, but it looks like the prices doubled, then doubled again and again. Many of the available "lifetime warrantee" wires look like junk. So what readily available plug wires are your preference, and what do you stay away from?

I had good luck with a set of Bosch wires and platinum plugs on my previous car, a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan with the 3800 naturally-aspirated engine. With my current vehicles, when the time comes, I'll go with NGK or DENSO. Your choice (and people's opinions) may differ depending on what vehicle/engine you have.

I bought NGK wires because they were highly praised by other Honda/Acura owners but I'm not really impressed. The boots distort and don't seal the top of the tube very well and let lots of dirt/debris sit on top of the spark plug inside the tube. I'll probably go back to OEM next time.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
i've used the premium napa wires (belden?)with good results.

Me too. They are good quality and lifetime warranty.

Ford has had the best factory spark plug wires IMO.
Their 'Racing' versions were even better.

Bosch has nice sets for comparatively reasonable prices.
Spend the $5-10 more when you buy wires to get a premium type, in anybody's brand.

NGK wire are garbage due to bad (leaky) "wire" and insulator quality. GM wires used to be great as they used PACKARD wire - the best high voltage wire going BY FAR. Even many ASIAN mfg used to source packard wire since the dielectric is superior in tems of voltage/leakage containment threshold. Remember this is a high voltage resonant circuit - low impedance/ft or having (metal) wire is not a good thing. Many MFG that build machines that require a spark gap (like K&S Wirebonders) use packard also. I dont even know if they are in business anymore - time to google ...

I like the Belden Max Powers (blue wires) from NAPA. I have also liked brands that use Packard wire, the United Brand wires on my Regal use Packard wire.

I have used Autolite wires a few times on customer cars. They seem to be good.

My least favorite are AZ or really any part's store "El Cheapo" house brand. I also believe in using o.e. when possible. I.E. I don't use Bosch on GMs.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Autolite, good quality fo the price, and lifetime warranty

+ 1

Belden Premium wires from Napa. They work great and have a lifetime warranty and are not too expensive. $36.00 for a set for my 6 cylinder engine. I'm not too crazy about the cheap 20 dollar "Exact Fit" or whatever brand is the lower line at AZ or AAP etc. Had a cheap AZ wire break on me long ago on my old Jeep truck. I had the receipt and AZ exchanged it though, no questions asked.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Ford has had the best factory spark plug wires IMO.
Their 'Racing' versions were even better.

+1 on a Ford that is not COP I will only use OEM or FRPP.

I put Denso wires and double plats in the Aerostar last year.
As any Aerostar owner is well aware, this is not a job you want to do twice.
Price was also quite reasonable, as I recall.

I liked the blue belden NAPA wires until it was time to change and they got brittle at the plug connector. Lost the receipt, oops. Was not a case of too little dielectric... just went to twist off and snap, 30k mi later.

I have a set of Champion wires on the Lumina. I got these at sparkplugs.com. They're fine for my application.

I had a set of Bosch wires on the Legend. They had a tendency to pop off the plugs. Not completely off, but I'd routinely have to snap them in place.

I've since replaced them with a set of NGK's. Unlike the other aftermarket brands I've used (Bosch, KEM) they;re the corrct length and the terminal boots are sealed with shrink tube and silicone.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Autolite, good quality fo the price, and lifetime warranty

+ 1

+2. I've used 2 sets of these on my 1999 Buick LeSabre with the 3800 Series II motor. I did warranty them when I changed plugs for the heck of it, since I had changed plugs 3x with the same set, and that was long enough for me. They work well with the Autolite copper-core plugs I got on clearance at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back