What Brand of Mufflers are Most Stock Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I installed my new muffler, I removed all the stickers, lightly sanded it down then cleaned it with brake cleaner then sprayed on a few coats of flat black high temp rustoleum. Then once it was hung, I drilled another drain hole at the lowest point. It was the cheap walker line and I don't know if my work will make it last longer, but it looks nice.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Decision made. I'm concerned if I get it from Rock Auto that it will be all dented up upon arrival.

Gotten a Walker from them in the past. It was fine, it was in a heavy cardboard box. Don't forget the 5% off code, should make up for the shipping a little. I always use a commercial work address so the pricing seems to go down a bit at checkout.

What's the 5% code?

It depends on the make of the car, Walker are usually ok but for some imports they are garbage. they don't want to go to the trouble of making an odd shape muffler so they cobble together something that should fit but its a butcher job right out of the gate.
I just sent a Walker back to RA for a VW, no way would I use that it was a joke. I got a Bosal premium which is close to OE as Bosal made the original. Rock did not even put the Walker in a box just a shipping label on it with a little bubble wrap on the end of the pipes and that's it.

OE

Bosal

Walkers sorry example, OE and Bosal have the mounts welded to the body, use short tail pipes. Walker welds the rear mount to one of the tail pipes and is totally the wrong shape, its also 1/8" too big on the resonator pipe to muffler connection.

Last edited:
I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here, because I have also seen some real shoddy work from Walker.

I needed a new tail pipe for one of my Rams, and you would think something as simple as an OEM style axle-back tail pipe would be hard to screw up. Guess what? They did it. It looked like some plugger took about 12 pieces of scrap metal and welded it all together poorly.

I've been even less than impressed by their mufflers because they typically shrink down diameter after the connecting pipe. So you might have a 3" exhaust from the factory, but Walker is going to give you a 2.5" muffler with larger connecting pipes attached that neck down from 3".

I have zero interest in buying anything from their company after what I have seen. They might actually make some good stuff, but the garbage they produce has completely turned me off.

For mufflers, I'm usually OEM or Borla for aftermarket. Resonators, I go Vibrant.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here, because I have also seen some real shoddy work from Walker.

I needed a new tail pipe for one of my Rams, and you would think something as simple as an OEM style axle-back tail pipe would be hard to screw up. Guess what? They did it. It looked like some plugger took about 12 pieces of scrap metal and welded it all together poorly.

I've been even less than impressed by their mufflers because they typically shrink down diameter after the connecting pipe. So you might have a 3" exhaust from the factory, but Walker is going to give you a 2.5" muffler with larger connecting pipes attached that neck down from 3".

I have zero interest in buying anything from their company after what I have seen. They might actually make some good stuff, but the garbage they produce has completely turned me off.

For mufflers, I'm usually OEM or Borla for aftermarket. Resonators, I go Vibrant.

Interesting. I just put a Walker muffler on my 01 Dakota last year, along with a Walker tailpipe. Both are OEM size and shape, and show good workmanship, with no strange constrictions. I bought the tailpipe just to avoid separating the old one, which can be a real pain.

But maybe it's not always the best choice for some models, I can believe that.

Oh yeah, I got them form RockAuto with the 5% discount. I have no idea how they can ship them so cheap. They arrived in perfect condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back