What ATF & periodicity for 2002 Camry 4 cyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I always thought that trans fluid changed every 30K was the universal norm for all cars.

Not for the average person. For BITOG'ers, sure....

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
But is that 30K pan drain and refill? Full flush via cooler line? Or? And if your OEM manual says it never needs changing, then what?

If a recommendation is every 30k miles, it's most likely to be for a simple drain and refill. As for what the manual says, many will say that the fluid is a "lifetime" fluid and never needs changing. If they do, you'll want to pick your own interval. You can also check the manual for the "severe service" intervals and they will often include an actual mileage for changing what are otherwise considered lifetime fluids. They say "lifetime" for (2) reasons primarily: 1) It lowers the "cost of ownership" due to maintenance costs and 2) in 99 out of 100 cases, the fluid will outlast the length of time the original buyer owns the car (as well as outlasting the factory warranty).

Last edited:
Maxlife spill and fill. Do it again in a couple weeks. I bet she shifts like butter.
1st service the fluid will be dark; 2nd should be better.
You can do the pan drop if you wish; sure can't hurt.
All good. I like that Maxlife stuff; been using it for years in our old ES300, Tundra, friend's Civics, Accords and Camrys.
Even the wife's wonderful TSX...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Many varied ideas here, and sort of expected. But, they have a general theme that suggests do something at periodic intervals if you want to raise your odds of having a very long-lived transmission. Kira's idea is probably the "safest." Do a quick and drain fill...and observe for 6 months until the next engine oil change at his small Indy shop. Can't go wrong using the specced T-IV fluid. But, no doubt advances have been made in competing fluids over the past 15 yrs. The car is a beater so he doesn't go overboard on anything. He's dropped from 7500 conventional engine oil changes to 3000 per his mechanic's suggestion. I'd agree with that considering his work commute is only 2-3 miles. He does about 10K miles per year though. I'll have to check what engine oil it takes as I have a pile of cheap QS oils I picked up during the AAP sell off...I can afford to give him 10 qts of oil that cost me $2.50....and I already got the rebates.
grin.gif

Yeah, he is my brother and we have a solid relationship. I'm not going to inject a full trans fluid flush into though. That's for him and his mechanic to discuss. My job is to give the information that's out there to follow "best engineering practices."

I'd discuss with Paul or Brian at Jerry's Transmission in Guilford CT. They just rebuilt the AW 70 in my 240 Sedan. They rebuild around 550 transmissions a year.

Sam

Last edited:
I think Toyota used an actual media filter in the 2002 Camry, but I can be wrong.

I'd drop the pan and change the filter to new OEM, SPX or Toyo Roki supplied those. Then do successive drain-fills with T-IV/3309, Castrol IMV or MaxLife. Toyota really didn't spec T-IV or WS across the board until the mid-2000s, but do check the dipstick for a white/blue label, it should say T-IV on the Japanese part of the label or T-IV stamped on the dipstick blade.

MaxLife is held as gospel here, I've used it with success but I'm also slightly leery of multi-spec fluids. If the tranny shifts fine and there isn't shudder/slipping you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back