What are you working on today?

Stripped more of the automatic grease system off the little Mack. Seems like there’s miles of nylon tubing. None of it works and the tubing is rotten so I’m just putting regular old grease zerks back in and greasing with Schaeffer 219 as I go. Everything is really dry. Also removed most of the rotten exhaust system to order parts and update everything. It’s getting a chrome straight stack for now as nobody has an oem muffler locally and wants more in shipping than the part costs.

Pulled these little deflectors off the corners of the cab and started stripping, sanding and painting. I’m not a body guy but they’ll look better than they did and the orange will match the hubs and my stripes when they go on. Aircraft paint remover is making quick work of it.

5FC51364-D6BD-4FCE-A022-ED663166E488.jpeg

07B254FE-A92B-48AD-9A46-EDBCBA5F1DCF.jpeg

DE777DCE-6A8C-4FCF-8BBD-A842ED0264B9.jpeg

'99 Ram 1500:
-replaced spark plugs and dist cap & rotor. Somehow with each passing year my body is less enthused about rear-mounted distributors.
-removed the lone shim from a/c clutch and the compressor engages again. Unfortunately, disturbing the low side valve stem caused it to leak. May rely on the cap for now, as much as I hate to do that
-replaced front shocks

Still to come: replace heater core, radiator, thermostat, timing cover gasket and will do timing chain while it's staring me in the face. Oh, water pump while it's off, also.

Yesterday

1979 Chevrolet K10
Installed the drums and adjusted rear brakes. Replaced upper/lower radiator hoses, thermostat, flushed block, heater core and radiator, changed oil.

Now I've got a 1989 Ford F-150 getting almost identical treatment today.

Worked on the RV. Sofa was making an awful racket, trimmed the hinge piece back that was hitting on the front brace. Not sure why it was hitting. Trimmed the carpet back so the dog house would seal better. Found the source of the coolant smell.. coolant on the bottom of the water pump 🙄 At 103k wouldn’t think that and I bet it’s been dripping for 20k. Went ahead and ordered new pump and thermostat.

Changed oil on the Mini Cooper S. Had some difficulty with the oil filter cap, and found that a spring clamp on a hose next to the filter housing was clocked just enough to interfere with removing the cap. On this engine the hose is accessible, but just barely. It took some effort, patience and a couple different clamp pliers to loosen and move the tabs on the clamp out of the way. I’ve got a gouge on the filter cap that I’ll swap out with a spare I had next oil change (I’d bought another when I couldn’t find the first one).

Then changed the oil on the Charger. No issues there, just routine swap. Put on a Mopar OEM filter as I’d used up my Denso and stash of Fram Pro and Hastings filters. I won’t be using them again because they’re not available any longer. 😁

Replaced the high beams in the Charger as the CrystalVision bulb failed on the passenger side and the driver side was pretty clouded up. I didn’t have standard so I put in some LED bulbs. 🫣. Triggering people with that one I’m sure. I’ll need to aim my lights today.

I plan to change over to summer tires. I was going to yesterday but decided to put it off to today.

Took the Charger up the road and back, and decided that if I don’t sell it by May 1 I’ll keep it. It’s a great ride. 😎

Yesterday

1989 Ford F-150
Replaced rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware, brought drums home to turn. Replaced radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, flushed block and heater core, changed oil.

Ehh if you rotate your own tires and look at your pads occasionally it's kinda useless
Exactly. Plus like I just found my pads are about half worn and I have a warning light every startup now...I just clipped the wire and jumped it.

Cursing a 2nd Gen Ram heater core. I absolutely could not get either heater hose off the core. I tried every trick I know: hose pliers, hose picks, hose spoons, pry bars, WD40. Finally slit them with a utility knife after wasting way, way too much time both standing at the fender and on my topside creeper.

Also, the replacement cores with swivels seemingly only make the job theoretically possible without moving the entire HVAC box. I've done a '98 and this '99 and it's still an affair of push, pull, cram and then pray the swivels don't leak after so much force. If anyone has a trick that I'm missing, I'm all ears.
20240409_111621.jpg

Cursing a 2nd Gen Ram heater core. I absolutely could not get either heater hose off the core. I tried every trick I know: hose pliers, hose picks, hose spoons, pry bars, WD40. Finally slit them with a utility knife after wasting way, way too much time both standing at the fender and on my topside creeper.

Also, the replacement cores with swivels seemingly only make the job theoretically possible without moving the entire HVAC box. I've done a '98 and this '99 and it's still an affair of push, pull, cram and then pray the swivels don't leak after so much force. If anyone has a trick that I'm missing, I'm all ears. View attachment 213401

The trick your missing is to do it on an Arizona truck, then you don't have to remove the dash because it crumbled away in 2009

Aerated my lawn, and managed to fold the tow behind aerator into a pretzel when it snagged a rock. Guess I'll be trying to heat it and beat it back into submission and then look for a beefier one. Any suggestions?

Rear differential service on the Tahoe. Out was some 75W-90 SynPower, in went some 75W-90 Mobil 1 LS. Also used a LubeLocker gasket.

Fluid that came out looked good albeit a touch grey. Not bad. Ring gear looked excellent, especially for a 325k rear end.

Nothing today but have been working on a 92 Cavalier that my fiancé used to drive before she bought the 94 Cavalier that was her work commute car for almost 10 years. Last week the transmission went out on the 94 so we went to get this 92 that has been stored in the garage of a house that I own in another town that my daughter lives in. One the way home, it broke down and had to be towed.

It was a crank, no start. I checked for spark at the plugs which it had. These cars are known for Ignition control module failures which I had figured was what had happened. This is a waste spark system and the ICM seems to be controlling the coils and providing spark to the plugs. I used a fuel pressure adapter in place of the fuel filter and had no fuel pressure even though the pump was coming on. I used two different fuel pressure gauges with the same results.

I drained the tank and pulled it and got the old pump out. I could not see anything wrong with it. I had replaced just the pump years ago but not the entire module. We ordered a complete new fuel pump module which came in today. Raining all day today so hopefully can get it installed sometime soon. Hopefully this fixes the problem. If not, it will probably be going to the junkyard along with the 94.

Back