What are you reading right now?

Don’t buy many books but this looked intriguing and so far is
IMG_2522.jpeg

Reactions: LDB
While I was in the hospital recently, a friend brought me some reading material. Along with a few gun magazines, he brought "The Grasshopper Trap" by Patrick F McManus. If you an outdoors person, you'll probably enjoy this book as it is a collection of humorous stories about camping, hunting, and fishing.

While I was in the hospital recently, a friend brought me some reading material. Along with a few gun magazines, he brought "The Grasshopper Trap" by Patrick F McManus. If you an outdoors person, you'll probably enjoy this book as it is a collection of humorous stories about camping, hunting, and fishing.
The last two pages of the old Field & Stream magazine used to be written by a really funny outdoorsman. Your same writer! Patrick F McManus. I can even recall my 21 years old wife (both of us a mere 56 years older now) used to ask me to read them to her as we kicked back on sofa after work with some suds. I got a kick out it as she would laugh with a similar gusto and humor that I would think of them. All his stories were hilarious hunting/fishing/camping/rafting trips gone wrong. Trips from hell you could not read without having to catch your breath from laughing. I can never forget one of his funniest we still joke about was "They shoot canoes? Dont they?" I hope you really enjoy that and now you mentioned it I will have to go out and find me a copy of some of his stuff. The Grasshopper Trap!
As would be no surprise to any of us that corporate buy outs, internet, lap tops etc.... put an end to MOST print magazines and even some papers. I looked up Field and Stream to learn - yes they were bought out, squeezed for every nickle they were worth and then fired everyone and shut it down. Well latest news is two country music singers have purchased access/ownership rights and plan to put it out in the print form again real soon. A story with a nice ending for a change. ENJOY THAT BOOK!
71PnTJi1zqL._SY466_.jpg

Last edited:
Bringing his cosmic perspective to civilization on Earth, Neil deGrasse Tyson
shines new light on the crucial fault lines of our time―war, politics, religion,
truth, beauty, gender, and race―in a way that stimulates a deeper sense of
unity for us all.

7722451A.JPG

Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War...

lf

Aircraft Anatomy of World War II / Technical Drawings
s-l1600.jpg

The last two pages of the old Field & Stream magazine used to be written by a really funny outdoorsman. Your same writer! Patrick F McManus. I can even recall my 21 years old wife (both of us a mere 56 years older now) used to ask me to read them to her as we kicked back on sofa after work with some suds. I got a kick out it as she would laugh with a similar gusto and humor that I would think of them. All his stories were hilarious hunting/fishing/camping/rafting trips gone wrong. Trips from hell you could not read without having to catch your breath from laughing. I can never forget one of his funniest we still joke about was "They shoot canoes? Dont they?" I hope you really enjoy that and now you mentioned it I will have to go out and find me a copy of some of his stuff. The Grasshopper Trap!
As would be no surprise to any of us that corporate buy outs, internet, lap tops etc.... put an end to MOST print magazines and even some papers. I looked up Field and Stream to learn - yes they were bought out, squeezed for every nickle they were worth and then fired everyone and shut it down. Well latest news is two country music singers have purchased access/ownership rights and plan to put it out in the print form again real soon. A story with a nice ending for a change. ENJOY THAT BOOK!View attachment 206016
I read several of Pat McManus's collections c. 1990. Very funny guy. He wrote a serious piece, perhaps an afterward to one of his books, something to the effect that life can be very hard, many are burdened with grief, and that laughter can be help us get through it.

I'm perhaps juxtaposing two different accounts, but one of the characters was Rancid Crabtree. One day Rancid stepped in a gopher hole, and his leg went down "to the confluence of his anatomy". At this point, Rancid "wove a brilliant tapestry of obscenities that last for several minutes, with no word repeated".

Great stuff.

20240322_134140~2.jpg

This was an excellent read. I've read a number of books about the Kennedy family previously, but this one added some interesting stuff, as well as being almost right up to date.

Some critics say coauthor James Patterson only lent (sold) his name to it to boost sales. I don't know, but if so then the actual author, Cynthia Fagen, deserves much credit, and if not, then Patterson has shown he's a very good history writer.

I'm unaware of a family dynasty like this in Canada, which is perhaps why we're so interested in the British monarchy.

I had been poking around Arthur C Clark's sci-fi but got a bit tired after a while. Started reading some of the Bosch series again. Read a number of the Baldacci books, might have to re-read.

I had been poking around Arthur C Clark's sci-fi but got a bit tired after a while. Started reading some of the Bosch series again. Read a number of the Baldacci books, might have to re-read.
Clark had this recurrent theme of aliens from an advanced society visiting Earth to spur the young human race on to greater things. It got a bit tiresome. Probably a better scientist and idea man than writer.

I reread 2001 just a few years ago - it remained quite strange.

The Harry Bosch novels are consistently good.

Clark had this recurrent theme of aliens from an advanced society visiting Earth to spur the young human race on to greater things. It got a bit tiresome. Probably a better scientist and idea man than writer.

I reread 2001 just a few years ago - it remained quite strange.

The Harry Bosch novels are consistently good.
He wrote over what, 40 or 50 years? reading one or two a year probably would have been fine, binge reading, eh.

He wrote over what, 40 or 50 years? reading one or two a year probably would have been fine, binge reading, eh.
Clarke? Yes, I think his heyday was in the 1950s and '60s, but probably wrote lesser-known stuff much earlier, and did several 2001 sequels in the '70s and perhaps into the 1980s and '90s. He wrote the screenplay for 2001 and the novel concurrently, around 1968. Brilliant man for sure, and very prolific, but (for me) a bit hard to read now.

He conceived the idea of the geosynchronous satellite in the late 1940s, having calculated that a satellite orbiting c. 22,300 miles above the Earth would take 24 hours to complete an orbit.

The Big 3 when I was young were Clarke, Asimov, and Heinlein. I'll take Heinlein's best works (the juveniles and the early stuff aimed at adults, not the later perverted stuff) over Clarke and Asimov.

Back