What are you reading right now?

I've seen all the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit movies, as well as the Rings of Power on Amazon, but I wanted to read the original source material.
Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.44.01 AM.jpg

Traffic why we drive the way we do .. Tom Vanderbilt. Interesting points so far. Moby ****.. that's a difficult book to read! I've got to get to reading more.

Last edited:
I took my dad to see Getty Lee talk about his new book talking about his experiences and Rush. Everyone received a copy of the book. Unfortunately due to his tight schedule he wouldn't sign anything. I'm still irked as there was a Q&A and don't know how people had the opportunity to write their questions for Geddy to get asked.

I usually enjoy Jack Higgins and Lee Childs, I like easy books with fast moving plots.

But I picked up a compilation of Arthur C Clarke's sci-fi. At first I did not like it, as I found that I can't read at night--I have to be awake to understand it. But the more I read, the more I like what I'm seeing, toying with what-ifs. Short stories. Wife tried to get me onto some of her fantasy books and I just couldn't get deeply into them, alternate universes with alternate realities for some reason do not excite me. But these short sci-fi stories, with a theme that it gets quickly around, seem much more palatable.

But I like to read a story or two, then read something a bit easier on the mind. :) Would like to read the Jack Reacher ones in order some day.

I usually enjoy Jack Higgins and Lee Childs, I like easy books with fast moving plots.

But I picked up a compilation of Arthur C Clarke's sci-fi. At first I did not like it, as I found that I can't read at night--I have to be awake to understand it. But the more I read, the more I like what I'm seeing, toying with what-ifs. Short stories. Wife tried to get me onto some of her fantasy books and I just couldn't get deeply into them, alternate universes with alternate realities for some reason do not excite me. But these short sci-fi stories, with a theme that it gets quickly around, seem much more palatable.

But I like to read a story or two, then read something a bit easier on the mind. :) Would like to read the Jack Reacher ones in order some day.
I've read most of Higgins's books (I think, because there's always one more turning up that I haven't read) and most of the the Reachers.

My favourite Higgins books are Exocet, Luciano's Luck, and The Eagle Has Landed, although some of the Sean Dillon ones are also good.

I think Tripwire is my favourite Reacher book.

I read a lot of Clarke's stuff when I was a teen. Childhood's End, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and several volumes of short stories. He had some very interesting ideas. He proposed geosynchronous satellites about 75 years ago.

I reread 2001 a couple of years ago and found it pretty weird.

I am reading some real interesting (well-for motor heads that is) articles about the little known and mostly forgotten
1989 Pontiac WS6 T-TA cars. Turbo-TransAms. A car that most of us will never see in person and many (including me) did not even know was built. Reason we likely will not see one is they were built in limited numbers and were quite expensive for those days. The 1989 MSRP was in the $29,000 to $32,000 range, woof! Back then the only other American made cars near those prices were the Buick GN/GNX or the Corvettes. Lots more of those were built than the T-TA TransAms. Many of them went to dealerships who kept them or right to someone's personal auto collection and into storage.
I enjoy reading this type of trip back into one of several automotive eras that some of us call the "good old days."

How much non technical stuff I read is an indicator of how much processing I'm giving other stuff..usually work, or carry on processing from there.

So this year, my wife has decided that we are reading a book a month...and I agreed with her...

I'm on Douglass Murray's War on the West at present (after reading some GEmmell on the cruise that we went on Nov/Dec.

How much non technical stuff I read is an indicator of how much processing I'm giving other stuff..usually work, or carry on processing from there.

So this year, my wife has decided that we are reading a book a month...and I agreed with her...

I'm on Douglass Murray's War on the West at present (after reading some GEmmell on the cruise that we went on Nov/Dec.
Have not read any of his yet but I keep hearing folks talking about Douglass Murray books.
I really would like to know what you think of the War on the West book once you finished it.

Back