We're done, Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
i recently did a post with 3 filters made by the same vendor … two were Motorcraft and one PureONE … all NEW ~ and with very little side force they tear like a 1st graders paper tablet …
So ~. I have tried this on three others~M1, FU, and Wix XP ~ used with 6k to 10k miles … ain’t gonna happen … those are too tough to tear

If I'm a SUPER FANBOY of any 1 particular oil filter, it would be the FU! But, being I can't afford them all the time, I have to use the next worst filter inline, the MC, which seems to ALWAYS tear and cause CATASTROPHIC engine failure!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I use MC filters because I trust them.
Oh, and I don't gamble.
smile.gif

If this makes you "sleep well", and you "trust them" and you "don't gamble" then there's not a lot more to say, is there?

k9tnpz.jpg

I wonder how hard you have to push on that pleat end to make it tear? I mentioned in another thread I have an old yellow can P1 I have yet to cut open. I can ALMOST assure you there WILL be tears in the media.
I wonder if a razor knife will make it look "NATURALLY" torn?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Using filters that can fail seem to make some people happy - which is cool if they like gambling.
smile.gif

There seems to be another phenomenon at work here: User A has perfect success (or thinks so) with Brand X model 1Great filter and User B has poor success with Brand X model SoSorryCharlie filter. User B makes a full report on SoSorryCharlie filter and moves on to a better filter. User A generalizes and praises Brand X is the best brand and makes a global announcement. Now the fight is on because User B just had a failure and knows that User A is espousing junk.

Part of the solution would be for User A to stay on topic about Brand X SoSorryCharlie filter.

Hey WO, you better be careful with that PUROLATOR oil filter on your engine. There are members here that are probably worried about how well you sleep at night, or, might think you're a fanboy. Wait, I mean a SUPER FANBOY!
grin.gif

I sleep very well at night because I am running very short FCI to be certain they do not tear. In other words, the filter is being pampered. BTW, the FL400S you use on your truck is not noted for these failure modes so why are you crowing?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I use MC filters because I trust them.
Oh, and I don't gamble.
smile.gif

If this makes you "sleep well", and you "trust them" and you "don't gamble" then there's not a lot more to say, is there?

k9tnpz.jpg

I wonder how hard you have to push on that pleat end to make it tear? I mentioned in another thread I have an old yellow can P1 I have yet to cut open. I can ALMOST assure you there WILL be tears in the media.
I wonder if a razor knife will make it look "NATURALLY" torn?
21.gif

I do not push on the pleats to try to make or fabricate a failure. I do the best to make a fair and honest evaluation.

There is a pecking order in product loyalty, first comes Fan Boy, then Super Fan Boy, and finally Concierge Service Attendant for a particular maker...

User A generalizes and praises Brand X is the best brand and makes a global announcement. Now the fight is on because User B just had a failure and knows that User A is espousing junk.

To add ... User A then accuses User B of fabricating a failure because User A is a super fanboy.
smile.gif

Are you referring to any one member here in particular? I mean, it sure seems that way to me!
28.gif

No, just to the ones who think all the posted reports of torn filters are faked. There have been more than a few people on this forum who have stated that.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
There is a pecking order in product loyalty, first comes Fan Boy, then Super Fan Boy, and finally Concierge Service Attendant for a particular maker...

Then there's the the super fanboy that turns into a troller, then maybe a super troller if he makes it that far.

BTW, the FL400S you use on your truck is not noted for these failure modes so why are you crowing?

There has been a few FL400S filters reported with media tears. Not as prevelant, but can happen.

BTW, the FL400S you use on your truck is not noted for these failure modes so why are you crowing?

There has been a few FL400S filters reported with media tears. Not as prevelant, but can happen.

Absolutely, I agree, the FL400S seems to be a better filter than the FL820S. I keep telling myself I should make a sheet of all the filter cut & posts and just see what the fallout actually is. The losing team would fuss, moan and groan and state that I falsified the data. Or maybe they may do what the monkeys do at the zoo when they don't get their way.

I keep telling myself I should make a sheet of all the filter cut & posts and just see what the fallout actually is. The losing team would fuss, moan and groan and state that I falsified the data. Or maybe they may do what the monkeys do at the zoo when they don't get their way.

There was a decent Excel spreadsheet made 2+ years ago [ HERE ] when all the failures started pouring in. There were even tabs for other filter brands, so too bad it wasn't kept up.

"Karma King" needs to start a spreadsheet to see that Karma doesn't behave like he thinks it does.
grin2.gif

Can us filters just all get along!
spankme2.gif

It's all good BOF. BTW, how you like that Castrol Magnatec?

spankme2.gif

Amen brother Blue

I must admit; I ran a MC FL910S and MC FL 400S before and they didn’t tear
smile.gif
27.gif

Since getting my tool I have cut open far more than I have posted and what I’m seeing is three types:

Fram Ultra & Wix XP style ~ Synthetic media that requires the mesh support for structural integrity. Tough filters.
Mobil 1, RP, Wix, etc … blended with synthetic and natural materials … they are thick and strong … don’t need wire.
Several made by Purolator … the construction looks great but the media is flimsy … even the OCOD has tougher media …

So I’m done too … and it’s a shame as Purolator/MC was a trusted name and is going on thousands of motors. Good News is modern oils suspend and disperse well … but for $2 more one may as well put a good filter on …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Since getting my tool I have cut open far more than I have posted and what I’m seeing is three types:

Fram Ultra & Wix XP style ~ Synthetic media that requires the mesh support for structural integrity. Tough filters.
Mobil 1, RP, Wix, etc … blended with synthetic and natural materials … they are thick and strong … don’t need wire.
Several made by Purolator … the construction looks great but the media is flimsy … even the OCOD has tougher media …

So I’m done too … and it’s a shame as Purolator/MC was a trusted name and is going on thousands of motors. Good News is modern oils suspend and disperse well … but for $2 more one may as well put a good filter on …

+1 However, many of the low end / economy filters are cellulose media. NAPA Silver, NAPA ProSelect, MicroGard and Super Tech are deemed good.

Yes, thinking the media has just gotten too thin on some … probably a bean counter or procurement agent who needs a leash on the collar …

Last edited:
spankme2.gif

Z06, that is some dang good oil! I think l have finally found an oil l want to stick with. But, next OCI I will be using a FU XG-3600 and running it up to 7.5K miles.
You know how you always hear such and such oil makes my engine run quiet/quieter? Well, this oil is THAT oil! My engine REALLY does run quiter with the MAGNATEC! Also, next OCI I am going to use 5W20 just to see if there is any difference.
To be continued...........

spankme2.gif

Z06, that is some dang good oil! I think l have finally found an oil l want to stick with. But, next OCI I will be using a FU XG-3600 and running it up to 7.5K miles.
You know how you always hear such and such oil makes my engine run quiet/quieter? Well, this oil is THAT oil! My engine REALLY does run quiter with the MAGNATEC! Also, next OCI I am going to use 5W20 just to see if there is any difference.
To be continued...........

I've heard good stuff about the Magnatec, and also their Edge. Might have to try one of those on the next oil change.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back