Wellness check? Call 911 or local PD (non emergency)

I believe the OP made a solid call. Systems vary wildly across the U.S. Reporting the incident as accurately as you can goes a long way towards getting the correct response.
Our P.D. rarely ran with us on EMS calls due to the volume. Unless we requested assistance with the individual or they happened upon someone needing help we only saw them when they needed a bathroom break or they smelled the grill at the station :cool:

Nothing wrong with calling if you are concerned.

On the flip side there is a good chance he’s someone officers know by name and get numerous calls a day on. Lots of homeless are also disturbed individuals, most are not dangerous.

We had one who was wheelchair bound that would sit next to a main thoroughfare and pass out in his chair (intoxicated) and we’d get 10 calls a shift on him. He didn’t want help and was one of the meanest people I’ve ever met. We still checked.

Still, when it comes to calling police, for most people I tell them if you are wondering if you should call the answer is yes and probably should have been calling 5 minutes ago,

Call the local police.
The 911 System is used far too much for minor events.
Hello 911, McDonalds shorted me an order of French Fries.

I'd post a screen cap, but I don't feel like losing my job over it...but.

We just got a call about a fight over the ice cream machine not working in one of our 2 McDonalds. LOL, don't people know that those things NEVER work? People out there throwin hands over it.

i found a full wallet on the ground at a city gas station awhile ago. a bit uncomfortable and not knowing the place, but it not being an emergency, i called 311 (the un911). after 20 minutes of intermittent “hold please, we will be with you soon” i hung up and found a fire station, where i turned over the wallet to the fine fellows there.

I guess it would depend on how close to the road they were. Disturbed person on the side of the road could step into traffic at any moment, which would be terrible for them and whomever they stepped in front of. I would call 911.

If they were wondering around a Walmart parking lot - I would call non emergency number.

Situation dependent.

Reactions: GON
Calling the cops for a wellness check is like handing down a death sentence to the person in need. Let's hope he didn't get killed.
It varies greatly if the particular cop or department has been trained to work with people in crisis.

Some cops are saviors while others I concur a mistake at best.

Back