Wellness check? Call 911 or local PD (non emergency)

Yesterday makes the third time I saw a human who appeared to have needed help along the road. I’m not talking car trouble.. I’m talking mental and perhaps physical health.

I’ll spare you all the details on how they were behaving, but it wasn’t what one would consider normal. Didn’t appear life threatening to me, but I wasn’t willing to put myself in that situation either.

I ended up calling the county police non emergency number and simply said it didn’t look life threatening, but they were doing _______ along the road and looked to have needed help.

I just got to thinking if I should have called 911 instead. What say ye?

Call 911. Report it as blocking or stepping out in traffic, impeding traffic flow, suicidal actions, public intoxication... whatever.

Get someone there asap to address the issue whether real or not, unless you live in a shoot 1st area, which I would simply ignore the broken down soul. Not worth living with the guilt of trigger happy clowns pumping a few magazines into someone having a bad day. Around here, the deputies and cops aren't trigger happy and attempt to diffuse and provide help(EMSambulance, mental help, or 24hr observation to cool off in a cell), more than some previous cities that I've lived in.

Yea, just call 911. They'll send whoever they feel necessary. In our county, they will send our deputies first who will usually call for a med unit once they get on the scene. Best case, they go to the hospital and get help. Medium case, they get arrested for something super minor and get a bed and 3 meals a day. Worst case, they snap, fight, get arrested for something not so minor, and spend some more time in jail. Unfortunately, jails are the new defacto mental wards for the mentally unstable homeless (In many cases. there are lots of exceptions). I deal with this every working day of my life, and I hate it, but until society decides to change, that's how it is. I have a good 10-20 people in my population of 250, that need serious help, they get some, but not really what they need, but that's all society will pay for.

At any rate, they'll get some help out of it that they probably wouldn't have gotten and if they are truly dangerous, it gets them off the streets before they do something to the public.

Also, here at least, the non-emergency number just goes to the same switchboard the 911 calls go to as well, so it really doesn't matter. Not sure if they get marked differently on the switchboard or not, but I suspect not.

Last edited:
Yesterday makes the third time I saw a human who appeared to have needed help along the road. I’m not talking car trouble.. I’m talking mental and perhaps physical health.

I’ll spare you all the details on how they were behaving, but it wasn’t what one would consider normal. Didn’t appear life threatening to me, but I wasn’t willing to put myself in that situation either.

I ended up calling the county police non emergency number and simply said it didn’t look life threatening, but they were doing _______ along the road and looked to have needed help.

911 is only for life threatening injuries or illnesses. If you believed they were a danger to themself or others, yes a call to 911 would have been warranted. Even calling non emergency would have gotten an officer dispatched. You did OK, most wouldn't have bothered.

The process/ words are fairly simple.

Call a law enforcement agency in the appropriate jurisdiction and ask for a health and welfare check on an individual. The agency will log the call and dispatch a law enforcement officer(s) as the response.

911 is only for life threatening injuries or illnesses. If you believed they were a danger to themself or others, yes a call to 911 would have been warranted. Even calling non emergency would have gotten an officer dispatched. You did OK, most wouldn't have bothered.
Lol, that's funny.

Not these days it isn't. People call 911 for EVERYTHING.

Kid refusing to go to school - 911
Neighbor playing loud music? - 911
Sister has a naked man in her bedroom and you want him out of the house? - 911
Neighbor has an aggressive Chihuahua that is barking at you? - 911
Your 16 year old is in his bedroom, has the door locked, and won't answer his cellphone, and you want him to go to jail because he won't help you. - 911

I wish I could make some of that up, but that's just from the last month, and things that were interestingly stupid enough for me to screen capture on nights I worked.

Lol, that's funny.

Your 16 year old is in his bedroom, has the door locked, and won't answer his cellphone, and you want him to go to jail because he won't help you. - 911

I wish I could make some of that up, but that's just from the last month, and things that were interestingly stupid enough for me to screen capture on nights I worked.
I know it abused. I hear it all the time on my scanner. Your explanations were not needed. Many want a ride to the hospital. I would bet most people driving on the road would keep on going doing nothing. Some would be playing with their phones and would notice nothing.

As a former dispatcher and then having 25 years as LEO, please don't call 911 unless it's an emergency.
Use your best judgement about the situation:
- if danger seems immenent, call 911
- if welfare is questionable, but not immediately dangerous to health or life, call the non-911 number
Most any agency has a common dispatch system. The calls will roll into the dispatch center either way, but the prioritization will depend on your initial assessment as reported to the distpatcher.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer for this question; you're going to have to use prudent judgement. Given your initial description, a non-emergency call would be appropriate.

Call the local police.
The 911 System is used far too much for minor events.
Hello 911, McDonalds shorted me an order of French Fries.

You did the right thing.

Calling 911 was fine. It very well could be an emergency (Drug overdose, Seizure, Manic episode) where the individual is a danger to themselves or the public.

Lol, that's funny.

Why I could never become a LEO but I imagine it's a little less exciting in a college town of like Athens GA vs say Fulton and the adjacent counties.

I was driving home a few weeks ago during the day and saw a man on the sidewalk along a busy road with a walker sort of slumped over his walker. I stopped my car, got out, and asked him if he was alright and if needed help. He said he was just taking a break.

Saw a guy laying on the sidewalk on a quiet street at night in the rain. I pulled over, stayed in my car and was getting my phone to call 911 when I saw the flashing lights of emergency response coming.

For the OP's situation, it would depend on if I thought the person behaving erratically was a threat to others or themselves.

I usually leave people alone unless they are in obvious danger to themselves or others. Examples I've called 911 for, guy walking on the rail/ edge of a bridge over the freeway, guy walking down the center of the freeway with no shirt yelling at ??? Guy who looked dead on the sidewalk face was all bloody and not moving.

Yea, just call 911. They'll send whoever they feel necessary. In our county, they will send our deputies first who will usually call for a med unit once they get on the scene. Best case, they go to the hospital and get help. Medium case, they get arrested for something super minor and get a bed and 3 meals a day. Worst case, they snap, fight, get arrested for something not so minor, and spend some more time in jail. Unfortunately, jails are the new defacto mental wards for the mentally unstable homeless (In many cases. there are lots of exceptions). I deal with this every working day of my life, and I hate it, but until society decides to change, that's how it is. I have a good 10-20 people in my population of 250, that need serious help, they get some, but not really what they need, but that's all society will pay for.

At any rate, they'll get some help out of it that they probably wouldn't have gotten and if they are truly dangerous, it gets them off the streets before they do something to the public.

Also, here at least, the non-emergency number just goes to the same switchboard the 911 calls go to as well, so it really doesn't matter. Not sure if they get marked differently on the switchboard or not, but I suspect not.
I think it did go to the same switchboard in this case. She definitely sounded like the role. I was then transferred to the guy who said they’d send someone out.

Retired Fire Captain here. Call 911 and tell them man down. EMS will respond first and most jurisdictions will send fire or police also.

Retired Fire Captain here. Call 911 and tell them man down. EMS will respond first and most jurisdictions will send fire or police also.
No offense, but this sounds like a terrible idea. For one, the “man down” would be a lie and a waste of the EMS’s time.

If there is trouble, wouldn’t it be a bad idea to send in guys without firearms too?

I took “along the road” as on the ground but after rereading if they are mobile I wouldn’t give it a second thought and go about my business.
And in my jurisdiction police would be dispatched for someone acting strangely. Fire and EMS always roll together.

No offense, but this sounds like a terrible idea. For one, the “man down” would be a lie and a waste of the EMS’s time.

If there is trouble, wouldn’t it be a bad idea to send in guys without firearms too?
LEOs are the first line of defense for a couple of reasons:
- they are often the closest, whereas fire/rescue are usually "on station" and typically have a longer response time
- LEOs are armed, and (despite all the jokes and hype) come prepared for the worse case scenario. In fact, most any medical response team will NOT engage a subject until first cleared by the cops, if the condition of the subject is unknown and/or potentially dangerous in any way

Examples of how this typically would play out ...

1) your co-worker drops to the floor in an apparent heart-attack
- you call 911; the dispatcher gets the dets and sends out the medical response unit (paramedics typically)
- the LEOs may also become aware of the call if they monitor the medical calls on their computers and so they may roll to the call and actually get there first and start CPR or use a defibulator until higher-trained paramedics show up
In this scenario, there's no reason to suspect any danger to the responders, and so the medical team will roll up and immediately start to work.

2) you see a man lying on the sidewalk, apparently passed out
- you call 911; the dispatcher gets the dets and sends out both LEOs and paramedics
- the LEOs are likely to ge there first and will assess the safety of the scene BEFORE dealing with the unconscious person
- if the paramedics get there first, they won't even approach the subject until the cops clear the scene for safety
In this scenario, there's doubt as to what caused the man to be down and he (or the surrounding ares) could be dangerous to the responders, so cops first clear the scene to be safe for other responders. Sadly, it's not unheard of nowadays to "swat" responders and/or see the scene become unsafe even for paramedics, some of which actually wear body armor for their own safety.

When you call the dispatcher (either 911 or non-emergency) one of the first questions you're going to hear is "What's the nature of your emergency call?" (or something to that effect). Is it a fire? The the FD gets the call first. Bleeding victim of nasty fall? Paramedics get the call first. Etc. However ... it's not uncommon that cops get on scene first regardless of the nature of the call, simply because of their proximity to the scene, if the cops monitor the FD and medical calls on their in-car computer.

Last edited:
Back