Well Pump Switch

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Did anybody ever have a bad well pump switch give off a constant burning smell.
Not sure but I have been trying to locate a burning smell and my pump switch was bad but not sure that is the cause.
Oil heater checked out fine..

Well if your shallow well pump is in your basement and was stuck on I could see dust and stuff burning off of it. I don't think it's it though.

None of that...lol .
Yeah like that snake at the ladies house yesterday. The wires looked dark but hard to say if that was from the last refurb.... 🤔
To answer your question I have never seen a p switch give off a constant burning. Do you have a pump capacitor box on the wall? Check that. Seen some explosions and burnt smells from them.

Instead of a new thread I will put this here.
I could think of a few reasons why not if someone used a highly restrictive filter or deferred
maintenance but the ??? is...

Why don't plumbers put a sediment filter (screen type etc.) before the pressure tank?
Even with periodic flushing maybe 4x a year my system was loaded up with what I call shale but
it's simply well drilling powdered rock from heavy well drilling in the surrounding area.

The original installer naturally put a screen type filter after the pressure tanks but I'm thinking one before
as long as it is meticulously maintained and not ultra restricted would be a good idea. @walterjay :)

Typically, the outstanding majority of homeowners would not be cleaning the screen filter often enough. This could result in severe damage to the pump system. Many submersible pumps can create about 180 lbs of pressure which could blow apart well pipe and fittings and filter housings under those conditions. The pressure switch is also a safety device which limits extreme pressure. One should never do anything to potentially keep a safety device from doing its job.
I have seen many a screen filter impacted by sediment and especially iron. If the pressure built up and the thing burst the pump would just keep pumping water into the basement with catastrophic results. Also if a homeowner were messing with an over pressurized filter it could blow up and shatter in his face.
Good well tanks are designed to handle grit with no problem.
The risks greatly outweigh any benefit of installing a filter before the pressure switch.
Also, I have seen unexpected slugs of sediment come through for no apparent reason. A homeowner could have a good schedule for cleaning the filter only to have the thing unexpectedly impacted the day after cleaning with a serious condition on his hands.
So overall I do not recommend pre filters.

Bigass whole house filter.

Oddly it's the only thing I don't have!!
IMG_5805.jpeg

Bigass whole house filter.

Oddly it's the only thing I don't have!!
I put up a big one that's all stainless and you just push a button to release the old filter. I hate the flimsy ones you need to turn to release and you feel like you are going to break the mounting hardware ..

I have a 20 micron filter on my house. It does a great job. Mine is mounted into the concrete wall. No twisting this thing off.

Back