Well, I Broke It (S10 Heater Core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. The old Ford F series were the same deal....except easier. You could swap cores in 20 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Anyways, my inlaws are in Wisconsin. One of the "engineers" in the family (actually a really brilliant problem solver)ran into a similar situation on a winter beater, bad core, and no desire to pull apart the interior. He measured, bought a heater core the size he needed, got two 120mm computer fans, some hose, cut two holes in the firewall and made a really good heater. Almost all of it fits under the dash and it keeps your feet toasty.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Fun and games. I just did a VW golf, the bugger took me almost all day, I put a Webasto in at the same time. Nothing like an old Ford LTD with 6 screws and 2 hoses under the hood and lift it out, 10 minutes.

Try the mid-sized 1983 LTD like I had; that was an all day job.
wink.gif
The F-150 was just like you described, though, a few minutes. I think it took longer in the parts store than under the hood.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Book time is 9hrs.

Some are so difficult and some are easier. Here was my old BMW heater core change. Gotta love it.

Been through that one. Made me hate the planet for a bit.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Fun and games. I just did a VW golf, the bugger took me almost all day, I put a Webasto in at the same time. Nothing like an old Ford LTD with 6 screws and 2 hoses under the hood and lift it out, 10 minutes.

Try the mid-sized 1983 LTD like I had; that was an all day job.
wink.gif
The F-150 was just like you described, though, a few minutes. I think it took longer in the parts store than under the hood.

I was thinking old like 1968. lol Are Webasto heaters popular up in Canada, I would think they would be a popular item.

I was thinking old like 1968. lol Are Webasto heaters popular up in Canada, I would think they would be a popular item.

Yes, that old is easy.
wink.gif
The Webasto ones are still a bit of a niche product here, but you do see them on occasion.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Yup. The old Ford F series were the same deal....except easier. You could swap cores in 20 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Anyways, my inlaws are in Wisconsin. One of the "engineers" in the family (actually a really brilliant problem solver)ran into a similar situation on a winter beater, bad core, and no desire to pull apart the interior. He measured, bought a heater core the size he needed, got two 120mm computer fans, some hose, cut two holes in the firewall and made a really good heater. Almost all of it fits under the dash and it keeps your feet toasty.

I'll keep that option in mind.

We were joking at work about this. The first item of car assembly at the factory is the heater core, then they build the car around it.

I was thinking about how I'd "fix" the heater core in my somewhat older car if it broke. I'd probably consider getting a heater core that would fit over the fresh air intake opening in the cowl. Then rig it up with some heater hoses and a valve from the hardware store. Valve open = winter. Valve closed = summer. Just like my '68 IHC Scout. Hopefully it would heat better than the Scout.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Is just cutting your way in an option? Or cut the dash in half, to leave the drivers side alone?

spankme2.gif
Take an afternoon and do it right.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Is just cutting your way in an option? Or cut the dash in half, to leave the drivers side alone?

spankme2.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nip3jkn94Q
I'm pretty sure I can't do this in an afternoon... Especially with some rusty fasteners... I like the adding a new heater core upstream idea too.

spankme2.gif

I'm pretty sure I can't do this in an afternoon... Especially with some rusty fasteners... I like the adding a new heater core upstream idea too.

Take your time, do it right. If you have a friend that's handy it helps. You know when they build a vehicle they start off with the heater core and build the car around it.
lol.gif

spankme2.gif

This is going to come off as me sounding like a jerk, but are you suggesting cut the the dash in half like via sawzaw? Wow, that's a new one. I've done some rigging in my day, but that's a whole new level there. It's an old truck/beater, but it's in good shape.

They did that in the video is the hard way, trust me. That's full on by the book dealer stuff. Infact talking to one of the guys at the dealer when they did these trucks alot they pulled the dash only as far back as they needed. Think they were doing them in 3-4 hours booking 9hrs flat rate. You can get to the bolt in the outer AC box if you remove the fan motor resistor. I have the whole next week off, a garage, a 125,000 BTU kero heater, and plenty of beer. I'll do it right.

Originally Posted By: Delta
This is going to come off as me sounding like a jerk, but are you suggesting cut the the dash in half like via sawzaw? Wow, that's a new one. I've done some rigging in my day, but that's a whole new level there. It's an old truck/beater, but it's in good shape.

I certainly wouldn't suggest it, but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard such a suggestion. Some guys have done some serious "modifications" to make such repairs easier. I wouldn't, but I've seen all kinds of things!

Well it went better than I thought, about 5 hours. Didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked, but I kept on rolling. The old core was definitely shot.

Most everything removed I needed to here, all that was left was some bolts on the bottom.

7ABSKoZ.jpg

Removed the last bolt and it came loose in a hurry!

CH6p7lm.jpg

I thought I was going to be able to just barely slide back the dash to access the box. No dice, so I wound up removing the radio and HVAC controls along with a bunch of other connectors. Finally was able to get enough clearance.

NT87aAm.jpg

That was the easy part! Pictured below is a bracket I had to remove in order to get to a bolt on the firewall. Then removing that bolt took about 20 minutes in itself!

tCB2cdU.jpg

Looking at all the Youtube videos it seemed nobody removed the lower bolt and was able to gently tilt the box back. Yea nope, I broke the bolt tabs on the bottom. No turning back now, I was able to slide the old core out and put the new one in. Luckily the top bolts on the firewall supported the box ok. Wiped out the box the best I could, but I'm just going to have to smell coolant for a while.

Almost buttoned up, amazingly no left over screws!

py667iB.jpg

I did replace the foam on the core itself, as it was soaking wet and scrunched down. There was also a piece (as seen hanging on the door) that came off the box. All in all it wasn't too bad, not something I'd want to do again. The defrost vent cover on top of the dash was already cracked up, so removing it done it in. I'll have to order a new one, but it isn't really that much of a priority right now. I thought the heat worked good before, but it works even better now. It seems the low temperature issue has gone away now, don't know what was up with that. Still think there's a little bit of air that has to work itself out.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Brother I have a 2000 Blazer. Now I'm scared...lol.

Honestly the V6 will be easier! Since the 4 cylinder is longer the back bolts holding the core box on were more of a PITA. The dash isn't bad at all actually, I had it back together in an hour.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: c502cid
Brother I have a 2000 Blazer. Now I'm scared...lol.

Honestly the V6 will be easier! Since the 4 cylinder is longer the back bolts holding the core box on were more of a PITA. The dash isn't bad at all actually, I had it back together in an hour.

Not looking forward to the day but I'll remember your words!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Thanks for the pics. I think mine is coming up...
laugh.gif

When I first starting it I was wondering what the heck I was getting into and almost decided to put it back together, suck it up, and pay the ridiculous amount for someone else to do it. Kept on going though. Definitely had a sense of accomplishment after that. The wobble extensions I bought at Harbor Freight were definitely a help in this job. Worst part was everything was brittle from years of sun. Would have been easier if I had a tilt steering column.

Feel free to contact me if and when you (or anybody else for that matter) decide to do yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back