Weed wacker. Curved vs straight

I want another wacker. I want an Echo srm225. Due to my states brainless insanity I can't buy a new gas one. Looking on Craigslist and market place I'm seeing only curved shaft ones for sale.

Do people not like those for some reason so They sell them?

I'm serously considering an out of state road trip to buy one out of state.

Wacker smuggling!

The curved ones have a spring like flexible drive shaft in them, given time if they aren't lubed and even if being lubed that flex drive can wear right through that curve. The straight ones have a shaft and a gear box at the bottom where the string head is, they are stronger and way more durable and will by far out last the curved junk.

The reason for the curved ones is cheap cheap, easier to make and cheaper to sell.

I have a garage full of curved shafts that I discarded because it was cheaper to buy a complete unit than just the motor. I can’t stand them.

Go on a road trip and don't tell people what you bought, including us.

I have a Stihl FS 50 C-E long shaft trimmer. Stihl makes a curved long shaft model for taller people so you don't hurt your back. I bought it in 2016 and its been used on a home I had on 5 acres from 2017-2022 and on 3 acres since 2022. I've never had an issue with it. I usually trim every other time I mow.

It's replacement will be a straight shaft trimmer however.

I own 2 Echos, curved and straight, with identical engines. I use the curved one in the cramped areas of my yard and for lawn edging, and I use the straight one in the more open areas. The straight shaft makes noticeably more torque at the head than the curved shaft.

I want another wacker. I want an Echo srm225. Due to my states brainless insanity I can't buy a new gas one. Looking on Craigslist and market place I'm seeing only curved shaft ones for sale.

Do people not like those for some reason so They sell them?

I'm serously considering an out of state road trip to buy one out of state.

Wacker smuggling!
🍟🍟

Straight shaft are best I've used plenty of both and I'd get the longest one since they help with your back. The shorter shafts have you hunched.

It's personal preference really. My grandfather has like a 20 something year old Echo curved shaft. He likes it because it is light and easy for him to use. The straight shaft ones are heavier duty, but it really comes down to what is most comfortable for you to use. Not all curve shafts are junk especially if you buy a decent one like an Echo. If you buy a Weedeater from Walmart, yeah it is gonna be junk haha.

The straight shafts seem better for taller people. You really can't go wrong with any Echo weed wacker IMO.

Only for Echo curved and straight are VERY high quality and not junk. Maybe also maruyama if they still make a curved.

But I own both and can tell you the straight is much better to operate. Way more comfortable and the standard gear box ratio puts the engine at a higher RPM to handle 0.95 string. The Curved is driven directly from the clutch to the trimmer head and does better with 0.80 string.

Definatly worth the drive to get the straight shaft.

And just so you are aware the GT-225 and the SRM-225 will make a black tar substance that can ooze out the muffler, it does not hurt anything at all. The SRM-230 and higher with the different engines seem to burn the oil more complete and will not do this.

The Echo 225 is a great bang-for-the-bucks string trimmer that is prosumer grade. Not ideal for commercial landscaping, but much better than anything for ~$250. It comes with the easy to load Speed-Feed design head that most users rave about. The only other pro-sumer grade unit to consider is a Shindaiwa trimmer (which is now also owned by Echo's parent company, Yamabiko Corp.).

Use Echo RedArmor or VP Fuels 2 stroke oil and the unit will likely outlast you.

Only for Echo curved and straight are VERY high quality and not junk. Maybe also maruyama if they still make a curved.

But I own both and can tell you the straight is much better to operate. Way more comfortable and the standard gear box ratio puts the engine at a higher RPM to handle 0.95 string. The Curved is driven directly from the clutch to the trimmer head and does better with 0.80 string.

Definatly worth the drive to get the straight shaft.

And just so you are aware the GT-225 and the SRM-225 will make a black tar substance that can ooze out the muffler, it does not hurt anything at all. The SRM-230 and higher with the different engines seem to burn the oil more complete and will not do this.
my currant srm225 has never oozed anything. I only run Torco GP7 smokeless oil @40:1.

You arent supposed to run a blade on a curved shaft trimmer.

Back