Weed Control

I find most of the lawn chemicals in HomeDepot and Lowes over priced and not that great. Amazon has a lot more at better prices. My recommendation is Trimec on Amazon for broadleaf weeds. Get a hose end sprayer you can refill with the concentrate. The best time to kill broadleaf lawn weeds is May into mid June and again in Sept. Typically you will need to spray a second round about two weeks after the first. Follow the label directions. If you have crabgrass that got past the crabgrass pre-emergent then Quinclorac. I would not suggest buying a broadleaf and crabgrass killer all-in-one.

All this needs to be timed with any planned seeding or overseeding.

Fall and spring pre-emergent for crabgrass.

I have a neighbour who has a seasonal property with a lawn but he doesn’t water or spray. The weeds were terrible. I offered to spot spray his yard with Killex brand 2-4-D based herbicide. In only two years, I have wiped out his weeds. They don’t even emerge. One thing I also did was fertilize the lawn once. I think this strengthened the grass a bit to help choke out weeds.

I have a neighbour who has a seasonal property with a lawn but he doesn’t water or spray. The weeds were terrible. I offered to spot spray his yard with Killex brand 2-4-D based herbicide. In only two years, I have wiped out his weeds. They don’t even emerge. One thing I also did was fertilize the lawn once. I think this strengthened the grass a bit to help choke out weeds.
Strong turf will tend to choke out weeds. That comes from cutting at 3.5" to 4" (cool season grass), soil analysis and then the proper fertilizer and maybe lime from the soil analysis. along with water properly (water deeply every 4 days). Or smart irrigation timer.

Spring pre-emergent with Dimension or Barricade.

Forget about anything Scotts.

One of the great things about living in farming country is the access to chemicals. I like Curtail for weeds and thistles. Its safe for my lawn but does a number on weeds. One of our neighbours offered us free Roundup if needed. A few litres here and there is not even spillage to them.

One of the great things about living in farming country is the access to chemicals. I like Curtail for weeds and thistles. Its safe for my lawn but does a number on weeds. One of our neighbours offered us free Roundup if needed. A few litres here and there is not even spillage to them.
Yep, years ago I was in the hardware store looking at premixed round up and it was like a $1/square yard... Um I don't think that's what it costs a farmer, so I went to the farm supply and bought the smallest round up concentrate jug and its lasted for a decade now, even giving away a few quarts with instructions to mix it 40:1. I just use that either sprayed for doing the driveways, painted on stumps, or painted on specific plants.

Every year I have Creeping Charlie that spreads over the entire back yard and I want to get rid of it. How do you control weeds in your lawn ? How many times a year do you apply weed killer?
I do preemergent in the spring and then I spot treat with a mixture of Tenacity and Ortho Weed B Gone. When we bought our house last year, the yard was more crabgrass and clover than it was actual grass and doing that, along with lots of fertilizer and water to make the grass that I alread had as strong as it could be helped a lot to reduce the weeds.
I still have weeds, as every lawn does (even golf courses have some weeds) but its a lot better than it was.

Back