Weed Control

Every year I have Creeping Charlie that spreads over the entire back yard and I want to get rid of it. How do you control weeds in your lawn ? How many times a year do you apply weed killer?

We have this problem and lawn weed killer is banned here so I get it from the US when I'm over and bring it back. I think because it's a very resilient weed and because the neighbours we share fences with have it on their lawns it keeps coming back. It's a PITA because I would have flawless grass otherwise.

Now I just apply the weed killer that kills it. I apply in the spring and fall and it seems to keep it at bay and then I just spot treat throughout the year if I see it pop up anywhere.

This is what I use. The one that says it kills 250 weeds. Not the other types they have. I also get the wand applicator that is battery driven and not this type of jug.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I purchased weed killer in the spring, when it was on sale.

I did some research, since this is my first year of actual land ownership and all of this is new to me.

I decided I needed a much better education on the subject before I decided to spray these chemicals all over my yard. I'd rather keep the bees around, until I know better.

I can live with the weeds, for now.

Stevie pretty much nailed it there. Ortho makes a weed-b-gon with crabgrass preventer that works good too. It comes in a 32oz concentrate. I use a surfactant as well, it helps the product adhere to leaves better. You can get a gallon for about $12 at your local farm store if you have something like that.

Throwing down crabgrass preventer in the spring helps a lot (just crabgrass preventer, no weed and feed or anything). Then I usually spot spray throughout the year to cover anything else. I usually spot spray 4-5 times over the season.
Milorganite four times a year for feeding.

I should add too, I also feed my lawns in the spring and then again in the fall with Lawn Food so that the growth is dense and deep green. It really helps keeping weeds away. My neighbours will be full of weeds in the late spring and I have 0, other than this stupid creeping charlie.
grin2.gif

Early fall is the best time to attack this problem with the systemic broadleaf herbicide like triclopyr mentioned above. The chemical will translocate to the root system better because plants are transitioning away from developing top growth to storing nutrients in the root for next spring. Get it on asap so that any existing grass can become better established.

Follow the label. More is not better. Be careful with some of these products if there are exposed tree roots. The Dicamba mentioned above is getting more attention recently for possible tree damage. Stevie is correct - a thick healthy lawn will negate the use of herbicides.

Last edited:
I miss honey bees and bats and snakes and things. Plus I have a well. Right now my lawn needs mowing It may get some fertilizer and seed later on. I don't have any neighbors to impress in my woodsy lot.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Early fall is the best time to attack this problem with the systemic broadleaf herbicide like triclopyr mentioned above. The chemical will translocate to the root system better because plants are transitioning away from developing top growth to storing nutrients in the root for next spring.

Good advise. We have a hay farm and I'm currently spraying right now. Using triclopyr too. I get the stuff that comes pre-mixed with both 2-4d and triclopyr (Crossbow). Wipes out every weed we have here. I don't use anything else. Also works great on brush that comes in from the fence-line.

Last edited:
Creeping Charlie is a vine, and can be difficult to kill.

Ortho mentioned above works, to a certain extent. However, 1) requires multiples applications to kill CC and 2) takes a long time (say 6 weeks). For me, it seems to suppress it more than kill it.

Talked to a local sod farm about this. They suggested switching the type of herbicide used annually, because CC becomes resistant to one type, over time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by MParr
https://www.ortho.com/en-us/library/your-lawn/creeping-charlie

I used that kind about a week ago and it didn't seem to do much. I may try some Borax.

I've used Ortho in the past with little luck. I even mixed it twice as strong as the label says and the weeds seem to flourish with it. This year I tried Hi-Yield 2, 4-D and it seemed to work much better but not very quick. Then I found Gordon's Amine 400 which has more than 4x the 2, 4-D so I gave it a try. Worked better than any weed killer I've ever used. Weeds were drying up in a few days and dead within a week. Although my yard doesn't have Creeping Charlie (ground ivy), it is listed on the label. I started using it too late this year but I'll be ready with it next spring.

https://www.gordonsusa.com/farm-homestead-weed-control.php?products=amine-400-24d-weed-killer

Originally Posted by funflyer
I've used Ortho in the past with little luck. I even mixed it twice as strong as the label says and the weeds seem to flourish with it. This year I tried Hi-Yield 2, 4-D and it seemed to work much better but not very quick. Then I found Gordon's Amine 400 which has more than 4x the 2, 4-D so I gave it a try. Worked better than any weed killer I've ever used. Weeds were drying up in a few days and dead within a week. Although my yard doesn't have Creeping Charlie (ground ivy), it is listed on the label. I started using it too late this year but I'll be ready with it next spring

The Gordons goes on at 1 to 2 quarts per acre and the Hi-Yield goes on at 4 to 8 (10) quarts per acre. You end up putting the same amount of active ingredient on the lawn if you follow directions. Maybe the dual applications (hi Yield followed by Gordons) is why the last application worked better. Maybe weather conditions? Lots of variables. Who knows??

The calculations on the Ortho work out to be the lower rate equivalent of the other two products, so you are correct that they are being conservative for homeowner use.

Really tempted to put up a pic of what my yard looks like after fighting the creeping Charlie this year... It's too horrific and embarrassing though. The Ortho weed-b-gon broadleaf formula was the only thing that worked. Unfortunately, by the time it did, the creeping charlie had already choked out the grass underneath (a very short and thick lawn did not help the situation). There is now large dead patches that aren't going to fill back in on their own before winter - it's already slowing down on growing.

My advice may be to tackle it in the spring time

Originally Posted by HorseThief
Really tempted to put up a pic of what my yard looks like after fighting the creeping Charlie this year... It's too horrific and embarrassing though. The Ortho weed-b-gon broadleaf formula was the only thing that worked. Unfortunately, by the time it did, the creeping charlie had already choked out the grass underneath (a very short and thick lawn did not help the situation). There is now large dead patches that aren't going to fill back in on their own before winter - it's already slowing down on growing.

My advice may be to tackle it in the spring time

Perhaps some winter ryegrass to fill in till spring? If it grows , it won't be bare, and you can overseed with your summer grass when it warms up.

Originally Posted by StevieC
We have this problem and lawn weed killer is banned here so I get it from the US when I'm over and bring it back. I think because it's a very resilient weed and because the neighbours we share fences with have it on their lawns it keeps coming back. It's a PITA because I would have flawless grass otherwise.

Now I just apply the weed killer that kills it. I apply in the spring and fall and it seems to keep it at bay and then I just spot treat throughout the year if I see it pop up anywhere.

This is what I use. The one that says it kills 250 weeds. Not the other types they have. I also get the wand applicator that is battery driven and not this type of jug.

[Linked Image]

I wish we could get that or other similar things again up here in Ontario!! Maybe Doug Ford will also remove this assine ban that our Liberal Gov't put in place prior?
I have read where the previous weed killers, or some of them, have zero effect on one's health and the environment. Test after test proved they become inert when they hit the soil yet the Libs went with it anyways because it was a feel good story.
I also heard/read where the amount of doctor and hospital visits increased 10 fold due to people's allergies and related illnesses after the ban?

How do I write Doug Ford?
21.gif

Last edited:
I personally don't use weed killer too often. It can damage the soil if used more than 2 times per year. As for the products, I usually use Ortho Weed B Gon weed killer. It can kill more than 200 weeds without harming the lawn which is a good result for a weed killer. Anyway, sometimes even this substance can be useless against specific kind of weed. I usually pull it out manually or using special tools.

For example, I've recently found an article at https://www.growgardener.com/best-weed-puller/ that listed weed pullers of a different kind. I guess Gladiatorweeder would be extremely useful in such cases. At least, I like the fact that it's easy to use and the price isn't that high.

Last edited:
Back