Using A Lawn Pre-emergent

I have several tree rows with tree wood mulch beds. I use preemergence on them mostly for the tree seedlings that come and for a nitrogen boost as the decaying wood ties up nitrogen.

I refuse to use that stuff. I have a centipede turf lawn. We do have a LOT of weeds in the spring pop up and my wife gets on my tail about it. I tell her to hold on...

About May, I will mix up 8-12 gallons of spray using Celcius WG herbicide and some of that blue stain/marker and spray it all over our yard (~1 acre).

About 3 weeks later, the weeds are gone, I've put out some fertilizer and the yard looks great, wife isn't complaining anymore. I would have to do all of this if I put down a pre-emergent..... How do I know? Because I've done it. I'll have to apply the Celcius again in late August or so, if we have decent rain through the summer, but that's it.

The Celcius is not Home-Depot grade, weak garbage. It's professional-grade, high-quality stuff that WORKS. It's not cheap, either, that's why you've probably never heard of it. The name is now owned by Bayer, but they don't have the stones to try to get a big box to sell it....
It's a great product I still use a granular pre M early spring n fall less weeds to kill during the growing season. Keeps the cost of Celsius down to a minimum Pre M much cheaper and only need to spot spray a few weeds as they pop up

I have never used a Lawn Pre-emergent before and after watching videos of people that do........ it still doesn't make sense to me.
So you buy this Pre-emergent and apply it to the lawn and it prevents (doesn't kill ) weeds from coming up. So basically your trying to prevent weeds from coming up that may or may not grow in the areas that you apply the pre-emergent . Isn't it more economical to just fertilize to choke out the weeds and and apply a Liquid Weed Killer ? What are your thoughts ?
This stuff (and a few others rocks) No more crabgrass, weeds etc. Sure, over time it will wear off the second half of the growing season but my lawn is so care free now I only need it in the spring. I see you are up north so this is the link they also have a southern formula.

I used the southern formula which is under "Products" on the linked page. It doesnt have to be this brand. It can be any that claims crabgrass and weed preventer as well as killer.
At the least fertilizer and crabgrass preventer and you can always use a garden hose to spray Bayer Weed control which prevents and kills other weeds or as posted if you can find the above product or similar.

Last edited:
You can save some money by buying Treflan liquid and doing it yourself. Problem is that it needs to be watered in so it is best to spray it right before a known rain event.

The orange coating you see on the fertilizer pellets of pre emergent sold in the stores is treflan, they just cleat it to the pellet so it can sit there until it rains.

I use Trimec with Quinclorac. Not much crabgrass but violets are what is hard to kill now. Was a lot of plantain and nutsedge in the shady areas. The violets are on my third year into the extermination, very difficult to completely get rid of but only about 10% of what I had to start. The nutsedge is kind of useful in sun or shady sloopy areas that you don't mow a lot. Looks like grass from a distance and is quite the soil holder for slopes prone to erosion. Takes a drought too and still stays green.

Woe be you if you have Nimblewill though. :( I call it a perennial crabgrass.

If anyone is trying to get rid of clover patches, I struggled until last year. I liberally applied the Celcius over the patches AND used the "purple bag" weed killer stuff from HD (sorry, can't remember the name, I think it's a Scott's product).

I finally got some headway on the large patches I had, but I had to really, really pour the chems to it. Also, I got some 34-0-0 from a friend (just a few cups) and spread it a week later. Clover does not do well with a nitrogen-rich soil.

Keep in mind when using a lawn pre-emergent that you cannot do any seeding or over seeding. Many use a pre-emergent in the spring and grass seeding in the fall.

The only two pre-emergent products to use are Dimension and Barricade. Forget the others.

Apply a pre-emergent when the forsythia is in full bloom. Soil temp at 55 degrees.

I have never used a Lawn Pre-emergent before and after watching videos of people that do........ it still doesn't make sense to me.
So you buy this Pre-emergent and apply it to the lawn and it prevents (doesn't kill ) weeds from coming up. So basically your trying to prevent weeds from coming up that may or may not grow in the areas that you apply the pre-emergent . Isn't it more economical to just fertilize to choke out the weeds and and apply a Liquid Weed Killer ? What are your thoughts ?
This and a soil conditioner. Not sure if a lawn pre-emergent is a 2-n-1. I have a lawn spray that's super thick. I poured it into a bottle that screws onto the hose. In Colorado we have alot if clay soil so it's necessary to treat it for lawns

Back