We need to make a list of good rebuilders that actually make good reman parts

Originally Posted by Chris142
So far every rebuilt part we have gotten is junk. We only do new. Even the new Chinese stuff is better than any rebuilt part.

X2..I actually prefer new aftermarket to reman.

I put a Denso reman alternator in my 02 Ranger and it failed in within two years and always had lower output per the Scangauge. The all new O'Reilly's replacement (can't remember where it was from, but not the US) has been great. 13.7-14 volts showing on the gauge always.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by Chris142
So far every rebuilt part we have gotten is junk. We only do new. Even the new Chinese stuff is better than any rebuilt part.

I agree. TYC has been putting out decent quality NEW parts that cost less than subpar rebuilds.

Luck of the draw, I guess. I've had both a TYC starter and a TYC alternator fail on me with under less than a year of use. I've also got another TYC starter on my pickup that's starting to make strange noises.
Looks like I will be pulling it this weekend to investigate. So much for the lifetime warranty if you've always got to use it.
I won't use them anymore and am now using Remy. I'm glad somebody has had good results with TYC.

I don't use many store bought reman/rebuilt parts, We still have a local alternator/starter rebuilder that does a really good job, Not being in the rust belt means I rarely have to replace brake calipers.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Originally Posted by GMBoy

I agree, having been deeply involved in ISO etc with GM and working with our vendors. But just one metric - return % would be enough to judge parts makers but I doubt Autozone and other parts stores would give up that data to us to evaluate. Therefore, we are left with most opinions and hearing from people who got bad parts from XYZ none of the satisfied customers are commenting.

With that, I still say Cardone rebuilds are junk based on my sample of size of at least 100.

I respectfully disagree on that point based on my experience that a lot of these "returns" are called "defective" ( more as a face saver) , a misdiagnosis or other cause unrelated to the actual quality or function of the item in question. Those are not legitimate reflections on the respective vendor.

This also can be skewed by "failures" caused by abuse, improper installation or usage beyond design specifications too. ( not a reflection again on the rebuild or vendor)

I get real cautious about unqualified or single point data ( especially when its all a client can give me)

Yes, you bring up a very valid point. I agree.

I actually have a Chinese water pump in a friend's Explorer now relegated as a beater. It looked nicer than the Cardone reman and it didn't have a bad casting like the OEM Motorcraft pump made in Germany I tried to install.

A lot of the Chinese stuff looks decent but it's YMMV. A friend of a friend who works at one of the more well-known VW tuners in CA said a Chinese O'Reilly axle held up well to the abuse of 24 Hours of LeMons on his team's car. I know of another friend who installed a Chinese timing kit on his girlfriend's car.

Anyone with actual reasons or examples on how Cardone takes shortcuts on their remanufactured products? Cardone has the local market cornered so in many cases if you need it right away they are the only choice.

I had to replace the power steering rack on my 2008 Ranger 6 years/100,000 kms ago and Cardone is the only brand the local shops had at the time. It just recently crapped out again and I noticed the part I bought only has a 3 year warranty. However, Napa rebrands the same Cardone part but offers a lifetime warranty for the Napa version, so I went with that this time instead.

Originally Posted by nobb
Anyone with actual reasons or examples on how Cardone takes shortcuts on their remanufactured products? Cardone has the local market cornered so in many cases if you need it right away they are the only choice.

I had to replace the power steering rack on my 2008 Ranger 6 years/100,000 kms ago and Cardone is the only brand the local shops had at the time. It just recently crapped out again and I noticed the part I bought only has a 3 year warranty. However, Napa rebrands the same Cardone part but offers a lifetime warranty for the Napa version, so I went with that this time instead.

Here is an example from The Critic

The "rebuilt" caliper came with a broken/cracked piston and a torn bushing
mad.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Here is an example from The Critic

The "rebuilt" caliper came with a broken/cracked piston and a torn bushing
mad.gif

Wow I'm having a hard time believing they reused the rubber bits. It's more effort trying to clean out those caliper bushings then it is to pop in some new ones.

I do wonder if within the same part lineup, that Cardone grades the parts. eg. Dealers get the grade A ones first. Power steering for example, they typically offer 3 year warranty on the Cardone branded units, but the Napa re-boxes have a lifetime warranty. Is this something that remanufacturers do? Or is the lifetime warranty more of a paper pushing PR move and not an indication of quality?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I don't use many store bought reman/rebuilt parts, We still have a local alternator/starter rebuilder that does a really good job, Not being in the rust belt means I rarely have to replace brake calipers.

Do tell! Residing in the dfw area it would be good to know of a good alternator shop. A lot have closed up shop throughout the years sadly.

Fort Worth Starter & Generator, 308 N Sylvania Ave, Fort Worth, TX 76111, Randy owns & operates the place with his brother Gary......Randy can be grumpy at times, But he's really good at what he does!

LoL … the best front end guy where I live would have to improve to just be grumpy …

Originally Posted by nobb

I do wonder if within the same part lineup, that Cardone grades the parts. eg. Dealers get the grade A ones first.

Supposedly Subaru has Cardone reman some of their CV axles. Maybe Toyota does as well.

Back