Way Too Much Tranny Fluid in the Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I performed a tranny fluid change on my 2015 Honda CR-V. Given the way automatics break in I thought it would be a good idea to get the original fill out of the tranny before 10,000 miles. Per the owners manual the capacity of the AWD CVT is 4.5 quarts. Given that Honda recommends a 3 flush change due to the fact that you cannot drain the fluid completely, I was anticipating getting 3 quarts out at most. To facilitate the drain, I drove the rear wheels up on a 2 inch high plank. I was shocked to recover 5+ quarts on the drain. I am not quite sure what to make of this but it is very worrisome to me. I did not want to run the tranny short of fluid, so I refilled with the specified 4.5 quarts of HCF-2 fluid ($11/quart!!!) The nagging question is how much fluid was left in the transmission to which I added a full 4.5 quarts? I do not think that the 2 inch lift on the rear wheels would make that much of a difference to the drain volume. Thoughts?

I agree with getting factory fluids out early but I usually wait until about 25K on ATF.
I've also found that several of my previous cars were overfilled at the factory.....I always try to get it filled to spec (rather than what came out).....Good Luck..

I assume that you assumed incorrectly that the Honda was factory overfilled because you drained out more than a specified refill quantity. I would guess that you are now under filled but, no one knows for sure since you messed up. I probably would go to a Honda dealer and have the level inspected and adjust to the correct level by a mechanic.

There is probably 8-10 litres of fluid in there. In a drain and fill you don't get the fluid from the torque converter or passages and lines. Always replace the same amount that you remove. The drain quantity will vary each time.

OK Eddie, how exactly do you think I messed up? I referenced the factory manual, which specifies 4.5 quart capacity in that tranny. I refilled exactly that amount to be safe. Now I am asking a knowledgeable and usually polite and helpful group for their take. If I wanted to involve my dealer I would have had them do the change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tcp71
There is probably 8-10 litres of fluid in there. In a drain and fill you don't get the fluid from the torque converter or passages and lines. Always replace the same amount that you remove. The drain quantity will vary each time.

Thanks tcp71. That is definitely one possibility, its just strange that total capacity wouldn't also be listed in the manual. At worst, I am only about 2/3 of a quart short of what I drained out. That can easily be replaced but I thought that I would ask first. It's too bad that Honda did not include a dipstick in this model transmission. That would make this very easy. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
No dipstick to check? or overflow hole?

No, just a rubber stopper on the fill hole at the very top of the tranny.

I know it is a CVT, but on my Fit drain angle isn't a factor.

I jack up the front of my Fit, drain it not caring about the amount, then I look up the drain and fill capacity and add EXACTLY that amount.

When I add 2.5L of ATF, and check the level as per the manual, it comes out perfectly.

But no dipstick... yeesh.

I'd take it to the dealer and pay for a drain and fill and keep the service record.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I agree with getting factory fluids out early but I usually wait until about 25K on ATF.
I've also found that several of my previous cars were overfilled at the factory.....I always try to get it filled to spec (rather than what came out).....Good Luck..

Let me clarify myself.

On an A/T with a dipstick to check fluid level I would refill to the correct level on the dipstick.

On my 2011 Chevy Cruze (since sold due to coolant odor/loss issues that GM couldn't or wouldn't fix) I drained it cold and refilled with the exact same amount. This is the only common sense thing to do without necessitating a trip to the dealer.

PS: I consider sealed transmissions (that have no way for the owner to check the level) a step backwards and (like timing belts) a gimic to increase the dealer service dept's. bottom line.

Originally Posted By: JosephH1
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
No dipstick to check? or overflow hole?

No, just a rubber stopper on the fill hole at the very top of the tranny.

There is an overflow port on the CVT. I know this because mine leaked. The idea is to fill through the rubber stopper until it flows out the overflow port.

In the back of the owners manual it may list the quantity of fluid that comes out during a drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: pbm
pbm said:
PS: I consider sealed transmissions (that have no way for the owner to check the level) a step backwards and (like timing belts) a gimic to increase the dealer service dept's. bottom line.

timing chains fail aswell, and are more expensive to change... no need to have a dealer change the timing belt either.

But I agree about lubed for life or sealed transmissions.

Originally Posted By: JosephH1
Originally Posted By: tcp71

Thanks tcp71. That is definitely one possibility, its just strange that total capacity wouldn't also be listed in the manual. At worst, I am only about 2/3 of a quart short of what I drained out. That can easily be replaced but I thought that I would ask first. It's too bad that Honda did not include a dipstick in this model transmission. That would make this very easy. Thanks again!

2/3 qt is a lot, I've had issues with being just 6-8oz short.

It's common for the listed capacity to be different than the actual fill- that's why a fluid level check is required. I commonly found that on Honda's autos, 1/3qt more than the listed capacity is normal.

I would find a way to do the proper fluid level check, even if it means bringing the car to the dealer. Fluid level disc critical on these newer transmissions.

What temperature is the fluid supposed to be checked at? On a lot of Fords you need to check trans fluid temp with a scan tool before checking the level.

I know my truck tranny pan only holds 7.5qts in the pan 5 more will come out if I remove the in pan filter and the total system capacity is 20qts. Usually the refill capacity will be for a simple drain and fill which could be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of system capacity depending on the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back