Watkins Glen International

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
They need to get a road course race into the Chase.
COTA could be good if they would reconfigure it to get rid of the tight turns from 12 to 16.

Next year they are running the playoff race at Charlotte on the roval.

I know I am in a minority here. But I would really like NASCAR to have more road course and short track races per year. Would really like to see 6 road course and at least 10 to 12 short tracks. In my opinion these are the most exciting races each year. [censored] 4 races at Bristol and 4 at Dover would be like heaven for me.

Don

Originally Posted By: Dadillac
I know I am in a minority here. But I would really like NASCAR to have more road course and short track races per year. Would really like to see 6 road course and at least 10 to 12 short tracks. In my opinion these are the most exciting races each year. [censored] 4 races at Bristol and 4 at Dover would be like heaven for me.

Don

I would like to see the Cp series run Road Atlanta, Road America, Laguna Seca, COTA, Long Beach GP circuit, Portland Intl Raceway, Mosport/CTMP, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Montreal), and the Daytona Speedway road course. I also would love to see them run the boot at Watkins Glen. I am fine with not running the carousel at Sonoma as I like the short course.

Something I was thinking would be awesome but would never happen is have a few 1000KM road races and require 2 drivers but require the second driver to not be a regular competitor in stock car racing. Let Ganassi run their sports car or IndyCar drivers, Penske run his IndyCar or V8 Supercar drivers. Or even try to do them on off weeks for F1 and get some of them over. I know there has been interest in the F1 paddock to run stock cars.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
COTA could be good if they would reconfigure it to get rid of the tight turns from 12 to 16.

Instead of the traditional fall race on the oval? That ought to upset NASCAR traditionalists.

Instead of the traditional fall race on the oval? That ought to upset NASCAR traditionalists.

Actually a lot of people seem to like it. I like the idea of the roval there since you can see most of the track from the stands on the front stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtuMrkbP_vA

Video of AJ Allmendinger running the roval.

Interesting course. Looks like the last 2 corners in the infield may be too tight for Cup cars. I drove the roval at Charlotte in ~92-93, and it was very different. Fewer turns in the infield as I remember, but it's been a long time. I had run a handful of rovals in my track day hobby back then, and Charlotte was my favorite because it at least had some elevation change in the infield. I was entering NASCAR 3 at about 135, and just breathing the throttle a little. The vertical G's pushing me down in the seat were very noticeable. I had to look out the side window to see down the track.

Here is an IMSA race on the Charlotte roval from 1986. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBuOwVE2aAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back