Water Wetter

If you are willing to run 100% distilled water + the water wetter, then yes, it will have a small effect on coolant temperature. In my experience it’s only 5-10 degrees F. That’s really not much,

Usually, a better result can be achieved by having the engine block and radiator chemically cleaned, and by using a water pump that has a high output impeller, like the FlowKooler line.

Z

The above answers are correct. It’s also more correct to say it can help improve the heat transfer of plain water, rather than specifically lower the coolant temperature. Unless it’s out of bounds then the temperature is controlled by the thermostat.

But with a properly mixed coolant it is unnecessary and will do nothing significant.

I was told that this product lowers your coolant temp by 10 degrees. Any info is greatly appreciated. Happy 4th of July!
I used a rislone cool product.
It did lower my temp 10 and my cylinder head temp by over 50.

As a benefit, I get heat out of the vents faster with this stuff in there.

Water wetter is the same thing.

I added in the tank reservoir 10 days ago, it started to mix after 2-3 days, now I have the impression that the car goes better with gas as well, still early to say but for sure it will put down the hot spots of the engine even if the temperature of coolant looks the same.

Always wondered if modern OEM coolants have surfactants in them, eliminating the supposed benefit of Water Wetter and the like?

WW is a great product for use with straight water, but I'd be hesitant to use it with modern coolants.

Placebo, nothing more, nothing less.
Normal vehicles have oversized cooling systems, sort of like a shock absorber. That’s because they need to operate in such a wide variety of environments and situations.

That means the cooling system is pretty much never stressed to its maximum heat absorption
/rejection capacity.
This, in turn means that whatever snake oil you add, will not show an effect that can be measured or felt.

Always wondered if modern OEM coolants have surfactants in them, eliminating the supposed benefit of Water Wetter and the like?

WW is a great product for use with straight water, but I'd be hesitant to use it with modern coolants.
Formulated coolants most certainly do have surfactants in them. That makes additives such as this redundant, if not useless.

More than modern I would say good quality coolant, I have no idea what brand of coolant I have in my car is green but I do not know the quality so adding a surfactant is a good idea in the worst scenario it does nothing.

It's not going to lower the temp any lower than the thermostat temp
Exactly. And using a proxy of fuel economy to ascertain if an additive like this is effective is silly since it’s tied directly to temperature, not heat transfer (besides being a second or third-order effect).

So much imagination on this topic.

Exactly. And using a proxy of fuel economy to ascertain if an additive like this is effective is silly since it’s tied directly to temperature, not heat transfer (besides being a second or third-order effect).

So much imagination on this topic.
I have not confirmed yet that I have better fuel economy looks very strange the correlation, but the last tank went quite better this can depend on other factors for sure.

More than modern I would say good quality coolant, I have no idea what brand of coolant I have in my car is green but I do not know the quality so adding a surfactant is a good idea in the worst scenario it does nothing.
No, worse is WW is incompatible with the chemistry of whatever coolant you are using and inhibiting the coolant's effectiveness, gelling, creating sludge or whatever. There are enough reports of gelling/sludging w/ WW and coolants that I would do a lot of research before adding....actually I would never use it with coolant, but if you choose to.

Last edited:
No, worse is WW is incompatible with the chemistry of whatever coolant you are using and inhibiting the coolant's effectiveness, gelling, creating sludge or whatever. There are enough reports of gelling/sludging w/ WW and coolants that I would do a lot of research before adding....actually I would never use it with coolant, but if you choose to.
I did a sample before putting it in, I heard about it, and after 24 hours no problem. If it was a disaster as you say it would have gone out of the market a long time ago. Seems this happened with red antifreeze.

Back