Water Conditioner/Water Filtration Systems

Hello,

My MIL. thinks she needs a water conditioner and a whole house water filter in her 2,700 square foot home.

I understand that because the system doesn’t use salt, it doesn’t really “soften” the water, it conditions it.

I’ve done some reading online but opinions vary on which conditioner and filter system is best?

Does anyone have a water conditioner and/or whole house water filter that they can provide feedback on?

Thanks!

We have a whole-house water "conditioner" which consists of a mechanical sediment filter and an activated carbon bed. It works fine to remove the weird color and taste that accompanies well water.

But we also have a softener since the hardness level is very high. It also helps to remove the moderate amount of iron in the water.

I had one in a house I lived in some years back. It was similar to kschachn’s description.

What is needed is a water test to find out what the properties of the water are then match a system to meet that. There are tons of options out there.

I had one in a house I lived in some years back. It was similar to kschachn’s description.

What is needed is a water test to find out what the properties of the water are then match a system to meet that. There are tons of options out there.
Correct, test the water, understand the results and choose the equipment properly. Anything else is very likely to be an expensive mistake.

For example, the water in town, Jupiter, FL went from municipal well water to Reverse Osmosis. The quality went from abysmal to fantastic and the calcium content was rather low. A softener really was not necessary. A small carbon filter did take out any residual chlorine odor.

My Jupiter Farms well water contains plenty of calcium, iron and tannens. It takes a softener with Cation and Anion resins, along with a very-very large Activated Coconut Carbon filter. Plus a good RO system to treat the water for the ice/fridge.

Back