Was I cheap to buy this used tire?

I have a sidewall bubble in one tire on my '17 Toyota iM so I bought this today. It's like new and I got it for $70 delivered.

I could have gotten it new on Amazon for $98.

Besides the lower price, it will better match the tread wear on the other tires. Was saving $28 a stupid choice?

If you have a AWD car and you bought so that system doesn't go "wonky" with the difference in tread depth on a new tire, then yes you made a sound buy.

But if it's a "flip car" who cares....right?

If it was my own car without AWD I would have purchased the new tire.

But you said it's like new.
Not AWD. The others have lots of tread so this one will be a closer match then a new one would.

I like used tires but I also like getting them for $10-15. I feel like paying more than that encourages people to seek more than that, ie getting in on my game.

If you get it to match the rest of the car better, then good for you!
No place around here to get tires for $10 or $15 that isn't scrap.

Agreed. His Ebay used tire spec. of 9/32 is the same as the brand new tire spec. of 9.5/32 https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/tire/ventus/v2concept2-h457.html

Also, what was the Ebay sellers response when asked about his note: "May have been professionally repaired,"?
Most all wheel drive systems say 2/32nd difference to keep things satisfactory. This just happened to my wife's Highlander. Picked up a piece of metal in a rear tire. It's AWD. The CUV had 11,000 miles on it. The tire guy measure and said I could get by with one tire. It's an honest shop.

What's going on with the sidewall? Date code is from 2022.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 165338.jpg

Not enough of a savings to justify buying used.

A take-off something like that, maybe 50% max of the new price.

Used tires can be had for $50 or less, installed.

Remember there is no guarantee on used tires. I only buy used tires in an emergency, or for use as a full-size spare to replace a donut.

Not AWD. The others have lots of tread so this one will be a closer match then a new one would.

No place around here to get tires for $10 or $15 that isn't scrap.

I have seen a $15.00 (good) used tire in just about as many years........

Most all wheel drive systems say 2/32nd difference to keep things satisfactory. This just happened to my wife's Highlander. Picked up a piece of metal in a rear tire. It's AWD. The CUV had 11,000 miles on it. The tire guy measure and said I could get by with one tire. It's an honest shop.
I say that’s absolute bull. If a company says 2/32, that means they’re saying that 1/32” radius change will cause a problem in their system!! You get GROSSLY more divergent wheel speeds going around a corner than 1 or 2/32” difference in overall diameter will ever cause.

Pretty soon they’re going to tell you they’ve done studies that found mismatched tire sizes contribute to climate change!! 🤬

I’m not replacing all four tires until at least half the tread depth is gone on the other three, and not one of my six Subarus has ever suffered as a result of my personal policy.

I say that’s absolute bull. If a company says 2/32, that means they’re saying that 1/32” radius change will cause a problem in their system!! You get GROSSLY more divergent wheel speeds going around a corner than 1 or 2/32” difference in overall diameter will ever cause.

Pretty soon they’re going to tell you they’ve done studies that found mismatched tire sizes contribute to climate change!! 🤬

I’m not replacing all four tires until at least half the tread depth is gone on the other three, and not one of my six Subarus has ever suffered as a result of my personal policy.
Depending on the all wheel drive system it's between 2/32nd and 6/32nds. Glad you haven't had issues. I had a Subaru Legacy I purchased new. As an aside it was an absolute a piece of garbage. But I'm almost sure the manual stated 2/32nd.

Depending on the all wheel drive system it's between 2/32nd and 6/32nds. Glad you haven't had issues. I had a Subaru Legacy I purchased new. As an aside it was an absolute a piece of garbage. But I'm almost sure the manual stated 2/32nd.
I’m not arguing that the manual states 2/32”; I’m arguing that considering that the very first turn your brand new set of tires make will cause a larger variation in side-to-side wheel speed which then causes the differential to do exactly what it’s designed to do…. allow a difference in speed across the same axle.

If the 2/32” were an actual concern, we would see more Subarus lined up alongside the highways than the switch to 0w20s have littered our highways with. 😉

Back