Today is the first day of my new career

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I start with my best friend in a joint venture. Farming, ag repair, ag parts sales, hydraulic hose sales, welding (fab and repair), power sports repair and auto repair. In other words, a general repair shop. We figured with so many skills between the two of us, why not? Some of these things are seasonal, so we don't expect a high volume of them, but could provide a nice filler when things might otherwise be slow. Of course if we get a whole lot of one particular thing, then we may well have to dedicate more time to it and back off of the others.

One reason for doing so many things at once is because only one of them is a "niche". In other words our area already has pretty much all these services. We're hoping to catch people who know us (plenty) and are loyal to us (from other dealings) and get their word of mouth. Also, no doubt there are plenty who have had bad experiences from the other local service providers, so we're hoping to draw these people in to get us started. The welding and fab work, is somewhat of a niche in this area as the one fellow who has been doing it for as long as I can remember has effectively closed his doors to walk-ins. The rumor is that he has a big contract with a company and he has little time and resources to deal with the public.

Due largely in part to my friend's good financial head, success at farming and hard work, he's managed to pay off virtually all debt and amass a fair collection of equipment. So we're set to go into this venture with low to no debt, money in the bank and the willingness to do a good job at a fair price. There's a few things we need to get finished yet before we get rolling, so we won't really be actively seeking work yet, but will be soon enough. We've got to get his hay finished, a building he started last year finished and some driveway work done. But soon enough we'll be hard at it.

It's kind of ironic that Critic started his thread on leaving, and was asking for resignation letter advice at about the same time that I wanted to start a new thread, as it's a topic that I had to cover with my boss and the advice given to Critic is spot on.

I have worked for three and a half years as a mechanic at a local indy shop. Didn't much care for the boss or how he did business and wanted to get out (largely why my friend started this deal). Still, I wasn't wanting to burn my bridges, because he can also spread negative word of mouth. I'd much rather have him as an ally, than an enemy. And that's how it went. I told him the truth (that I'd be given a terrific opportunity and that I'd be a complete fool to pass it up), gave him notice of leave and let him decide how to react. He took it well, so I opened up a bit and we had a good conversation. While I was still there, he tried three times to keep me, but each time I politely passed on the offer. My last day was to be 8/23/13, but this last Friday 8/16, he approached me and told me that if I wanted to go now, I was free to. No doubt it had something to do with the incredibly slow times at the shop. I said that I gave 2 weeks and I'll happily fulfill that if you wish. He said that there was no need and to feel free. So it was done...

We had as good as split as I could have ever hoped. He told me that I was welcome back at any time. Not only that but he even offered to send welding/ag work our way if possible.

So all in all, I'm very excited and extremely thankful of my friend's incredible generosity, and can't wait to make a go of it. It'll be hard work, but I'm no stranger to it.

Good luck with your new venture. Keep in mind it may be quite slow at first until business picks up and folks realize you exist.

I noticed this with my independent Subaru mechanic who now has three bays (one guy still) and a lot full of 10-15 cars daily in queue. His niche is Subie guy locally not just for customers but actually does work for non-Subaru dealers used Subaru. He works on all makes though and typical wait is 1-2 weeks for him. Although he sneaks me in as I started going from his really humble beginnings in a depressing run down garage at another location.

The same thing was a local shop that was empty for 3 months straight except for techs cars. Its a MB and Honda trained techs and the lots is full of 10-15 cars daily.

Did you visit New England some time ago on business? For some reason, I thought you were a white collar pencil pusher!

Congrats!
You'll have a great niche with the custom hydraulic hose fab.
Where I'm at, the whole east bay area only has 2 hose builders.
We've tried it, but the company didn't want to put the full investment into the fittings, so now only 1 store has the press,hoses, the most common fittings and nothing beyond that.
We actually have hoses sent to these other 2 places to have rebuilt, brazed, fixed, or re-created. We don't use anything in house.
Having it done in a couple hours vs. a couple days is money lost for both sides!

congratulations and best of luck on your new adventure. It sure sounds exciting and I am excited for you. You sound like a real honest and skilled person in your profession and remember. . . in addition to getting the work done right the first time, great customer service will also bring back customers.
cheers3.gif

Congrats and Good luck sir!! I wish you and your partner much success in your new venture!! Hope it is very rewarding, financially and spiritually, to both of you!

My tractor/ small engine dealer started in a similar way. He liked working on equipment as a side job and then figured he could do it full time. He now has a couple guys working for him and usually booked for a week.
A couple reasons I chose him:
He is interested in what he sells/fixes.
Offered a fair price upfront, no msrp [censored].
Had a clean and organized premisis, and gave me a tour or their shop.

You don't have to keep the place gleaming all the time, but it helps sell your business if you can handle the housekeeping atleast.
Hope it goes well for you!

Good luck and it sounds like a worthwhile endeavor. you got to take some risks to get ahead. Also being your own boss is worth something even if it doesn't mean more gains financially initially.

Congratulations. There's no job harder, yet no job that's more rewarding than owning your own business. You'll be in for quite an education, but it sounds as though you've done your homework; you are already ahead of many people who start their own business.

Thank you for all of the words of encouragement!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Did you visit New England some time ago on business? For some reason, I thought you were a white collar pencil pusher!

Oh no, I'm no white collar guy. Never have been and likely never will be. I started out of high school welding at a local trailer manufacturer (since relocated), then moved on to another welding job at a place that made large scale water filters. There they gave me an incredibly long leash. I welded, did electrical work, plumbing and even painting... Whatever I wanted to try and whatever it took to get the job done. Was there until they laid all of manufacturing off- almost eight years. From there I worked for a farmer for a year, until I found my last job at the indy shop.

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
congratulations and best of luck on your new adventure. It sure sounds exciting and I am excited for you. You sound like a real honest and skilled person in your profession and remember. . . in addition to getting the work done right the first time, great customer service will also bring back customers.
cheers3.gif

I try my darndest to do the right thing. I do not want to lie, cheat or otherwise steal from people, and I try to do business that way.

You have a very good point about the customer service thing. Well before my friend and I even talked about our venture, we lamented about the poor customer service we've both experienced. I can assure you that it will be very high on our list!

This is almost exactly what I'm doing at the moment - finished my 90 day trial today, and am still there even after my first big stuff up yesterday. We are a rural service station, and work on anything and everything - cars, trucks, farm motorcycles and quads, tractors and all farm equipment, we do a lot of fabrication for repairs, cut out damaged or rusty stuff and make new parts. Good old fashion fixing things, not just replacing parts....or telling them to go somewhere else because they don't want to get involved.

I was doing this work 20 years ago, but for the last 15 years have worked mainly on cars. Things have moved on in that time, so a relearning curve for me, a lot of new things to learn, and getting my confidence back in welding. I'm really enjoying it, and I bet you will too.

Good luck! The fact that you are able to start without a loan or financing of the business - is a HUGE plus. YOU will get to keep the profits to reinvest back into the business, not the bank.

You'll do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back