Wanted: Inexpensive car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by donnyj08
This. Craigslist started charging for car ads and there are way less "cheap" cars than before

That's because the $2,500 2015 Accords and $1,500 2012 Corollas were scam ads.

Obviously, anyone with half a brain knew what was a scam and what was legitimate.

I think you missed the logic I was getting at.

If you are selling a legit $1,500 car why would you pay for an add when you can post it for free on Marketplace, where the majority of $1,500 car shoppers are anyway?

Craigslist's charging has reduced the amount of affordable older cars.

Yet, plenty of people were down at Walmart buying gift cards or at Western Union sending money thinking they were getting an actual car with a free 10 day return policy to boot. Lots of people have less than half a brain. The FB Marketplace is a disorganized mess. If someone doesn't want to spend $5 to sell a $1,500 car, you probably wouldn't want to buy that car anyway.

To the OP:
Original owners were my sister & her huz. They sold it to me
2000 Acura RL. Dark Green/4 door, 3.5L., auto, FWD. SUPER COMFORTABLE car w/ Kept polished and garaged so it looks GOOD
TRUE highway miles. Garage to Central Conn. (occasional commute) and vacation use. Never used as a grocery hauler or kiddie school bus.
Always dealership maintained except recent items by me
Approximately 25 oil changes (I got dizzy counting from my tabulated list)
Head gaskets replaced at an Acura dealership @ 156.7K. Timing belt and water pump @ same time.
New Interstate G24-700 battery (from Costco) and cabin air filter (by me) both @ 162.3K
New main relay @ 152.6K
Brake fluid flushed/trans drain & fill (12K ago)
Both rear window regulators/PCV canister valve/EGR valve/keys reprogrammed/brake pedal position switch/O2 sensors(+ other stuff in it's history)
Brakes done various times throughout it's history
Rolling on matched Michelins from Costco
Acura mud flaps
I can send you the tabulated list
asking $4,000

I can't see anyone traveling from MO to Hackensack, NJ but at least you wouldn't find a liar or a misrepresented car.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/...wse_tab&search_query=Honda%20Insight

Offer $800 and likely get the above for $1000

I've had 30+ of those Insights and unless you are a serious diy'er, they can be money pits. That one will need a new battery for $2,000 and can almost guarantee the transmission grinds and needs a $1,500 rebuild. It can still be driven the way it is, but it's no fun, and won't pass emissions if you have that.

Originally Posted by Kira

I can't see anyone traveling the distance between MO and Hackensack, NJ but at least you wouldn't find a liar or a misrepresented car.

HAHA, maybe not, but I offered to deliver my Spark.
banana2.gif

My niece had her Journey stolen a couple of weeks ago so she decided she wanted a truck. She called me excited cause she bought a truck for a grand and I cringed. 2 days later I get to look at truck as it came by wrecker. 98 Ram 1500 220k and needs 2k just to get safe not perfect as in ac not repaired. She was told truck just had repairs done and I assume it was listed on Facebook as she is on Marketplace every day.

If you see a car on CL listed in "by owner" that doesn't have plates there's a very good chance it's a rebuild from some sketchy body shop. If you see one of those you already know you're dealing with a liar. Not that it might not end up being a decent car, but you won't be buying it from a real owner.

You get what you pay for, pretty much...

First start by determining a budget and what you are looking for: compact, full-size sedan, small SUV or whatever.

Then determine what you're OK with in terms of miles and age... then find some for sale and check them out.

If you get the absolute cheapest example out there, don't be surprised when problems pop up. If you pay extra for a well-maintained example... there's that "get what you pay for" business again...

Last edited:
"A newer Cobalt XFE with no options 5mt only is very reliable just need to replace the timing chain every once and again. I would be delighted to sell my 2010 with 118k on the clock for $2000 and I'm certain you can find this Saturn clone inexpensively in your area."

Verified. I've owned an 05 ION 1 since new.

Aside from the aggravation with the ignition switch [only paid for it once and was reimbursed by GM] I have had to replace the fuel filler neck and strut bar bushings.

Original battery lasted nearly 9 years. The GM 4 speed auto is excellent. Stay away from the CVT in the 03s and 04s.

People want IONs even less than Cobalts, yet the polymer panels keeps the bloody things looking like new. And usually a Chevy dealer is the SASP [Saturn Authorized Service Provider].

It really all comes down to your locale. Are you living near a city with a large supply of cars or rural so finding them more challenging? Also the local demographics come into play.

The reality is there is really high demand for: My criteria is basically a few thousand dollars tops and reasonably reliable I'd recommend asking around like at church, work , friends etc. For example I purchased my still reliable 2007 MDX for a lowball trade in offer from a friends coworker.

My wife/I typically post our cars at her work (1000 employee hospital) on a bulletin board and they have been decent cars that were well maintained for your price range.

The idea of targeting specific brand cars is very narrowing.

I might hesitate buying a $3K car from someone too cheap to put on the original wheel covers. What else did they cheap out on?

I still maintain that if one wants to buy a cheap car, they must be willing to gamble. Who knows what lurks underneath. Technically true of any car really, new or used, but cheap cars got cheap for a reason.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by brages
How about this for a "few thousand dollars" ?

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/high-ridge-2010-ford-fusion-se/6979558946.html

Heating and cooling systems work, but doesn't say if the a/c is working. LOL.

Some of the English in the ad is kind of mangled. Take that however you will, my perception (right or wrong) is that car-flipping is more common among immigrants locally, so the incorrect English in the ad could be a tip-off to a flipper. Or not.

Originally Posted by supton
I might hesitate buying a $3K car from someone too cheap to put on the original wheel covers. What else did they cheap out on?

I still maintain that if one wants to buy a cheap car, they must be willing to gamble. Who knows what lurks underneath. Technically true of any car really, new or used, but cheap cars got cheap for a reason.

My experience is that if you are looking to buy a used car, you will run into cars that look great in the ad, but when you get there, it's pretty obvious it's junk. I try to trust my "spidey-sense" with used cars; it hasn't been wrong yet.

Just remember, "con" is short for "confidence"...

In the case of a 2010 Fusion, one of the key problem areas is power steering issues. Would not be a cheap fix.

Last edited:
You can get more car for your money by looking for manual transmission cars because many people can't or refuse to drive them. I would also seek out cars with faded paint, scratches, minor dents, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back